Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

my experience

I can't tell you what ODP is like at the older age groups. I'm sure that the DA/ECNL players are not included in those ages.
    My kid is a 2007 and this was the first year we were able to try out for ODP. From what I saw, the best players from all over Florida were represented. Small clubs and large ones had kids at all levels of the try out process. From what I know, the coaches didn't know the kids or what program they were from. The coaches didn't ask the kids what program they played for. They only wanted to know their names when they wanted to evaluate them and put them in groups.
    We ended up going to the final round of the evaluation process in Auburndale. It seemed like the coaches knew who the better players were and grouped them on the same team (kind of like an A, B, C, D, E team). During the weekends in Auburndale, the coaches moved kids around based on how they were performing at a certain positions. It appeared to be very calculated in how they moved kids around. Overall, I thought the process was very good and the coaches were definitely picking the best players for the "A" team.
    I'm not sure who got an invite to the Alabama camp. I can understand if multiple kids from the same program were invited if they were the best players in their positions. I believe kids were invited from all over Florida and not just the large programs. We will see in June when the first camp starts for the Alabama invites.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      I can't tell you what ODP is like at the older age groups. I'm sure that the DA/ECNL players are not included in those ages.
      My kid is a 2007 and this was the first year we were able to try out for ODP. From what I saw, the best players from all over Florida were represented. Small clubs and large ones had kids at all levels of the try out process. From what I know, the coaches didn't know the kids or what program they were from. The coaches didn't ask the kids what program they played for. They only wanted to know their names when they wanted to evaluate them and put them in groups.
      We ended up going to the final round of the evaluation process in Auburndale. It seemed like the coaches knew who the better players were and grouped them on the same team (kind of like an A, B, C, D, E team). During the weekends in Auburndale, the coaches moved kids around based on how they were performing at a certain positions. It appeared to be very calculated in how they moved kids around. Overall, I thought the process was very good and the coaches were definitely picking the best players for the "A" team.
      I'm not sure who got an invite to the Alabama camp. I can understand if multiple kids from the same program were invited if they were the best players in their positions. I believe kids were invited from all over Florida and not just the large programs. We will see in June when the first camp starts for the Alabama invites.

My daughter is an 02 , committed and no longer does ODP. I can tell you the best time to enter it - if you want- is the first year they are eligible. That is about the only time you get a fair shot. After that coaches have their favorites and unfortunately a kid who is great at u-13 may not progress at all as a player while your kid surpasses them and your kid gets cut and that kid stays on.

ODP used to be the be all end all but that was prior to ecnl and GDA. For the girls now you see much weaker players make it and even the R3 team is made up of girls who would have only made a state B team at best in past years. Fun experience for the younger kids though and worth it as they are younger and developing.

Comment

It is a statistical and probabalistic impossibility that 25 percent of the girls selected came from one club. It is just not mathematically possible. FYSA ought to consider who the coaches were and which girls were selected. It isn't a talent identification program, because probabilistically the top players at age 11 can't all come from one club.

So those of us from smaller towns, got shoved out because our coaches don't "volunteer" for ODP.

Comment

A kid from parkland made it on odp. He is average at best. Parents are both doctors follow money trail

Comment

A kid from parkland made it on odp. He is average at best. Parents are both doctors follow money trail
            Maybe the coaches saw something in the kid that will be developed and he will be better than average in a year or so. He may even become great. If he doesn't have it, he won't be asked back next year.

Comment

Originally posted by unregistered View Post
              maybe the coaches saw something in the kid that will be developed and he will be better than average in a year or so. He may even become great. If he doesn't have it, he won't be asked back next year.
              no he is an 05 by now you would be able to see something .he has nothing to offer.

Comment

Originally posted by unregistered View Post
                maybe the coaches saw something in the kid that will be developed and he will be better than average in a year or so. He may even become great. If he doesn't have it, he won't be asked back next year.
                they are going to develop a player in a week or two a year ok

Comment

The sad truth is that the ODP is really rigged. Why do I say this, the reason is that youth soccer in this country is completely out of control. bizarre upper-middle-class parents can't believe that statistically most of their loving children our average. that doesn't mean that they're bad people or even if they are inferior it's still a statistically reality that 98.2% of all children fall Within 2 standard around the mean

Comment

How do you even know that 25% of the girls came from the same club?

Comment

The sad truth is that the ODP is really rigged. Why do I say this, the reason is that youth soccer in this country is completely out of control. bizarre upper-middle-class parents can't believe that statistically most of their loving children our average. that doesn't mean that they're bad people or even if they are inferior it's still a statistically reality that 98.2% of all children fall Within 2 standard around the mean
                      So true

Comment

How do you even know that 25% of the girls came from the same club?
                        See the earlier post.

Because the DOC of palm beach gardens posted on fb a picture of the girls came from his program before the announcement and he was the Coach selecting players at the ODP.

Like was said, earlier, it's a statistical impossibility. Darrell Strawberry and Eric Davis playing on the same team at age 11 is a 1 in a million chance.

Comment

See the earlier post.

Because the DOC of palm beach gardens posted on fb a picture of the girls came from his program before the announcement and he was the Coach selecting players at the ODP.

Like was said, earlier, it's a statistical impossibility. Darrell Strawberry and Eric Davis playing on the same team at age 11 is a 1 in a million chance.

Improbable, not impossible. Funny analogy though as there is not a single Stawberry or Davis level talent in the state playing soccer. If ODP is truly a statewide talent search, then there it would be difficult to find more than a player or 2 across any city or even county. Only extreme laziness and nepotism would make a coach select more than 1 player from his own team (and that is assuming that coach's team has the top talent for the area). Easy fix, have no club coaches involved.

Comment

Improbable, not impossible. Funny analogy though as there is not a single Stawberry or Davis level talent in the state playing soccer. If ODP is truly a statewide talent search, then there it would be difficult to find more than a player or 2 across any city or even county. Only extreme laziness and nepotism would make a coach select more than 1 player from his own team (and that is assuming that coach's team has the top talent for the area). Easy fix, have no club coaches involved.
                            Do correct

Comment

GEE, BAKER both have blantantly took kids from there clubs.. Siggi has been known to take checks from wealthy parents looking to get there kid tp Alabama.. Strickland included. the whole program needs an overhaul

Comment

Maybe the coaches saw something in the kid that will be developed and he will be better than average in a year or so. He may even become great. If he doesn't have it, he won't be asked back next year.
                                some people are so ridiculesly stupid and clueless.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X