X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ivy league urging colleges to change a recruiting culture

https://www.insidehighered.com/news/...IVyFfJU.mailto

Good luck with that. I think early recruiting is insane personally. Ivies are in a tough spot so they want the changes. However, unless all colleges agree to changes - and it is ENFORCED - nothing will change. As much as coaches may bemoan it they also fully participate in the circus. They don't want a competitor snatching up a strong player. Also, many of those recruiting camps are a nice cushion to their budgets. If they have to restrict attendance to only juniors (and is the NCAA going to check that? come on...) then you've greatly shrunk your pool of attendees and their cash.

Comment

While I agree to some extent , I think waiting until Sept. 1st of the Junior year for communication and commitments is too late. It leaves less time for players and colleges to both research. Two years is not a lot of time when students have very little time off between school and soccer schedules to visit colleges. College coaches need the time to watch players in many venues too. By the Junior year, the students have to apply to colleges. It helps if they know where they might be able to play a sport as well as study. Of course, eighth grade is too early.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
        While I agree to some extent , I think waiting until Sept. 1st of the Junior year for communication and commitments is too late. It leaves less time for players and colleges to both research. Two years is not a lot of time when students have very little time off between school and soccer schedules to visit colleges. College coaches need the time to watch players in many venues too. By the Junior year, the students have to apply to colleges. It helps if they know where they might be able to play a sport as well as study. Of course, eighth grade is too early.
        Good point. It isn't easy to squeeze in visits to schools in between all the other things going on - especially junior year when the workload seems to be the most intense as well. And god forbid a good player be injured during that very small time frame as well.

Maybe have visits and conversations starting beginning of sophomore year, then no offers can be made until junior year? Kids have more time to mature, a better sense of academic fit etc. Whatever the solution, the madness needs to stop

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
        Auto-Saved
        x
        Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
        x
        Working...
        X