Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    My oldest kids have aged out of youth soccer. Regardless of the level, you starting a club so you could coach your own kid because she wanted you to, is the highest level of helicopter parenting I have ever heard of. And here you are commenting on helicopter parents, oh the irony. Did she go to school where mommy taught college too?
    Yea, that wasn't lost on everyone. The originator of the parents suck movement was a helicopter parent himself. Way too funny.

Comment

My oldest kids have aged out of youth soccer. Regardless of the level, you starting a club so you could coach your own kid because she wanted you to, is the highest level of helicopter parenting I have ever heard of. And here you are commenting on helicopter parents, oh the irony. Did she go to school where mommy taught college too?
      You have a right to your opinion but if you think the fact that I coached my daughter in club soccer one out of the 8 years she played just doesn't hold water. If I coached her all 8 years I would agree with you 100%. Did your daugther ride the T by herself at age 13? Did you let your daughter tour Amsterdam with 3 other 14 year olds without adult supervision? She had her own apartment and has supported herself since she was 19. Your opinion stems from the fact that you hate me. Trust me. We raised a free range child and I was far from a helicopter parent. I read in my car during her club practices and let her make her own decisions for club soccer and other sports.

- Cujo

Comment

Another teacher's viewpoint.

"Before I tell you why, you should understand the truth about school. You see, the main event of school is not academic learning. It never has been. It never will be. And, if you find someone who is passionate in claiming that it is about academics, that person is lying to himself or herself and may genuinely believe that lie. Yes, algebra, essay writing, Spanish, the judicial process — all are important and worth knowing. But they are not the MAIN event.

The main event is learning how to deal with the harshness of life when it gets difficult — how to overcome problems as simple as a forgotten locker combination, to obnoxious peers, to gossip, to people doubting you, to asking for help in the face of self-doubt, to pushing yourself to concentrate when a million other thoughts and temptations are fingertips away.

It is your resilience in conquering the main event — adversity — that truly prepares you for life after school. Because, mark my words, school is not the most challenging time you will have in life. You will face far greater challenges than these. Sure, you will have times more amazing than you can imagine, but you will also confront incomparable tragedy, frustration, and fear in the years to come.

But, you shouldn’t be worried about the fact that you will face great adversities. You should be worried because you’re setting yourself up to fail at overcoming them. "

https://affectiveliving.wordpress.co...-need-to-hear/

Comment

Seems the topic of the day.

Former Stanford dean explains why helicopter parenting is ruining a generation of children

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/.../?tid=pm_pop_b

So are you a helicopter parent? Here are some of Lythcott-Haims’s simple tests:Check your language.*“If you say ‘we’ when you mean your son or your daughter — as in, ‘We’re on the travel soccer team’ — it’s a hint to yourself that you are intertwined in a way that is unhealthy,” Lythcott-Haims said.Examine your interactions with adults in your child’s life.*“If you’re arguing with teachers and principals and coaches and umpires all the time, it’s a sign you’re a little too invested,” she said. “When we’re doing all the arguing, we are not teaching our kids to advocate for themselves.”Stop doing their homework.*Enough said.“Chores build a sense of accountability. They build life skills and a work ethic.”

Comment

Seems the topic of the day.

Former Stanford dean explains why helicopter parenting is ruining a generation of children

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/.../?tid=pm_pop_b

So are you a helicopter parent? Here are some of Lythcott-Haims’s simple tests:Check your language.*“If you say ‘we’ when you mean your son or your daughter — as in, ‘We’re on the travel soccer team’ — it’s a hint to yourself that you are intertwined in a way that is unhealthy,” Lythcott-Haims said.Examine your interactions with adults in your child’s life.*“If you’re arguing with teachers and principals and coaches and umpires all the time, it’s a sign you’re a little too invested,” she said. “When we’re doing all the arguing, we are not teaching our kids to advocate for themselves.”Stop doing their homework.*Enough said.“Chores build a sense of accountability. They build life skills and a work ethic.”

Good post. While we are at it can we ban cowbells too at games?

Comment

This is at Williams, considered one of the best colleges in the country. I'd say it's a contributing factor.

"My goal for you all, my purpose in being here today, is to inspire you to think for yourselves. Do not be swayed by groupthink no matter what your friends, your family or the culture believe. Do not be afraid to ask yourself questions that may make you uncomfortable. And do not be afraid of the answers."

Though my contact didn’t give a reason, the day before he’d sent me this email: “Dear Ms. Venker, A quick heads up…We’ve been advertising the event, and it’s already stirring a lot of angry reactions among students on campus. We just wanted to make you aware of the current state of students before your presentation…”

What is of concern, what should be of concern to all of us, is a new kind of progressive climate that pervades America’s campuses. It even has a name: the “call-out culture.”

The “call-out culture” encourages students to see opposing points of view (read: any argument that’s right of center) as potential threats to their well being and forces groups, such as the Uncomfortable Learning Speaking Series at Williams College, to disinvite or shut down guest speakers whose views are deemed by the campus thought police as intolerable.

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2015/...eries-why.html

Comment

This is at Williams, considered one of the best colleges in the country. I'd say it's a contributing factor.

"My goal for you all, my purpose in being here today, is to inspire you to think for yourselves. Do not be swayed by groupthink no matter what your friends, your family or the culture believe. Do not be afraid to ask yourself questions that may make you uncomfortable. And do not be afraid of the answers."

Though my contact didn’t give a reason, the day before he’d sent me this email: “Dear Ms. Venker, A quick heads up…We’ve been advertising the event, and it’s already stirring a lot of angry reactions among students on campus. We just wanted to make you aware of the current state of students before your presentation…”

What is of concern, what should be of concern to all of us, is a new kind of progressive climate that pervades America’s campuses. It even has a name: the “call-out culture.”

The “call-out culture” encourages students to see opposing points of view (read: any argument that’s right of center) as potential threats to their well being and forces groups, such as the Uncomfortable Learning Speaking Series at Williams College, to disinvite or shut down guest speakers whose views are deemed by the campus thought police as intolerable.

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2015/...eries-why.html
                Colleges are only tolerant of their point of view
                the "uncomfortable learning speaking series " should be mandatory at all colleges-

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                Auto-Saved
                x
                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                x
                Working...
                X