Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    This is all just one of a very very long list of similar threads which basically come down to the author hating parents for being overly involved in the lives of their children and hating the children for being lazy pussies. What ever would we all do without Cujo and his new personality OB1 continually telling us how much we all suck as parents?
    My wife has been teaching for 15 years and she says the students have definitely changed. The offshoot is not so much that they need more help and more insecure (most teachers accomodate their students whenever possible) but she also sees more depression, anxiety, and stress. At any given time she has several students in counseling and several years ago one of her former students took her life. These problems have always existed but they are more prevalant. At the same time she has seen an increase in "attempted" involvement in college students lives than before.

Let me ask you this question. If you have or (will have) college age students have you (or would you) contacted their professor to discuss a matter. BTW - My brother in law has been a History Prof for 25 years and he sees the same thing. He has been at a half dozen local and private & state schools and says he never heard from parents 25 years ago but now hears weekly from parents. You are parents of a few children will my family has had thousands of students and they agree that this is a growing problem.

- Cujo

Comment

Cujo, you are the ultimate helicopter dad. Didn't you just admit recently that you started your own soccer club so that you could coach your daughter and hand pick her friends as teammates? No tryouts needed and you provided all uniforms for free? Please save the parenting speeches on how "free range" your kid was.

Hypocrisy.
      Sure I started my own club but it was to spend time with my daughter and other kids that I had coached for years (some since they were 6) before they went off to college. The idea actually came from her and her friends. If I had done that for all 7 years of MAPLE I would agree but to do it for one year. Not so much.

- Cujo

Comment

Sure I started my own club but it was to spend time with my daughter and other kids that I had coached for years (some since they were 6) before they went off to college. The idea actually came from her and her friends. If I had done that for all 7 years of MAPLE I would agree but to do it for one year. Not so much.

- Cujo
        So when you are guilty of such an extreme case of helicopter parenting as starting your own club so you could coach your kid and her friends, that is noble, just, and perfectly acceptable.

When other people do it, it is an act of sabotage on the fragile psyche of their children. Got it.

Comment

Here you go - how to cut the cord with helicopter parents

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/...b0dd850308e260

Comment

I am not doubting that it occurs, only that I believe that the problem is not any more important or troublesome then many other problems of past generations.
            The problem is that it's very difficult to measure. I appreciate the point you're making and think there's some truth in it or at least serves to guard against hyperbole that emerges with the comparisons between generations. The challenge to measure aside, I do think there's truth in the direction. It's worse, not better. I have this conversation and I point to government regulation or debt/unfunded liabilities; both of these things can be measured. For all the institutional effort, whatever the topic you want to talk about, from to coddling and protecting children to regulating our way to better results, the results have been something between uninspired or woefully inefficient and abject failure.

Comment

This is all just one of a very very long list of similar threads which basically come down to the author hating parents for being overly involved in the lives of their children and hating the children for being lazy pussies. What ever would we all do without Cujo and his new personality OB1 continually telling us how much we all suck as parents?
              Except the narrative is true -- there are more ****ty (obsessive) parents and lazy (entitled) kids.

Comment

The problem is that it's very difficult to measure. I appreciate the point you're making and think there's some truth in it or at least serves to guard against hyperbole that emerges with the comparisons between generations. The challenge to measure aside, I do think there's truth in the direction. It's worse, not better. I have this conversation and I point to government regulation or debt/unfunded liabilities; both of these things can be measured. For all the institutional effort, whatever the topic you want to talk about, from to coddling and protecting children to regulating our way to better results, the results have been something between uninspired or woefully inefficient and abject failure.
                Well we do agree, that it is difficult to measure. But these are all opinions , not facts. I really can't agree however , that it is worse rather than better. All we really have to go by, is what is closest to us . the lives of others that intersect ours . That includes the closest Government in our circles, which is the local Government. DC and even the State level has less of an effect on our lives. Of course Fox News, CNN & the alphabet channels all want us to believe that their presentation of the news is what we should be fixated on.

All that aside, nearly every young person that I have direct knowledge on, vs information of by outside sources, are doing well, better than their parents were at their age. And that is a fact.

Comment

I taught at a grad school level. That article is dead on. I actually left the job because I couldn't handle the needy, whiny students who needed everything done for them. One actually showed up to academic review board with his parents! At age 25! C'Mon, people!

Comment

Well we do agree, that it is difficult to measure. But these are all opinions , not facts.

All that aside, nearly every young person that I have direct knowledge on, vs information of by outside sources...

And that is a fact.
                    You didn't mean to do that, did you?

Comment

So when you are guilty of such an extreme case of helicopter parenting as starting your own club so you could coach your kid and her friends, that is noble, just, and perfectly acceptable.

When other people do it, it is an act of sabotage on the fragile psyche of their children. Got it.
                      Clearly you have no concept of the tenor of play for Division 2 MAPLE U17/18. It is relaxed.

Let me know when you get there. You can't compare it to club insanity U11/12.

- Cujo

Comment

Originally posted by OB1 View Post
                        We have raised a generation of young people who have not been given the opportunity to learn how to solve their own problems. They have not been given the opportunity to get into trouble and find their own way out, to experience failure and realize they can survive it, to be called bad names by others and learn how to respond without adult intervention. So now, here’s what we have: Young people,18 years and older, going to college still unable or unwilling to take responsibility for themselves, still feeling that if a problem arises they need an adult to solve it.
                        Too many of us are unwilling to look in the mirror and see that we are to blame.[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]

I look in the mirror and see everyone I went to college with 30 years ago described in the article. (That's all of you!)

Comment

Not directly related to soccer, but certainly indirectly.

Declining Student Resilience: A Serious Problem for Colleges

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog...oblem-colleges
                          Isn't this like blaming the kid on the playground who reports bullying because that is what we advocate this day and age rather than punching him the nuts?

Just shows you how out of date our school systems are.

Comment

Except the narrative is true -- there are more ****ty (obsessive) parents and lazy (entitled) kids.
                            Definitely true about the parents. The smart kids go far away from their nutty parents for college. Smart move.

Comment

I taught at a grad school level. That article is dead on. I actually left the job because I couldn't handle the needy, whiny students who needed everything done for them. One actually showed up to academic review board with his parents! At age 25! C'Mon, people!
                              I chase away the whiners first class of each semester.

Comment

Clearly you have no concept of the tenor of play for Division 2 MAPLE U17/18. It is relaxed.

Let me know when you get there. You can't compare it to club insanity U11/12.

- Cujo
                                My oldest kids have aged out of youth soccer. Regardless of the level, you starting a club so you could coach your own kid because she wanted you to, is the highest level of helicopter parenting I have ever heard of. And here you are commenting on helicopter parents, oh the irony. Did she go to school where mommy taught college too?

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X