Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Declining Student Resilience

Not directly related to soccer, but certainly indirectly.

Declining Student Resilience: A Serious Problem for Colleges

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog...oblem-colleges

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Not directly related to soccer, but certainly indirectly.

Declining Student Resilience: A Serious Problem for Colleges

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog...oblem-colleges
    The product of Tigermom's and parachute parents. I raised a free range kid and it has paid off. Well adjusted and happy.

- Cujo

Comment

We have raised a generation of young people who have not been given the opportunity to learn how to solve their own problems. They have not been given the opportunity to get into trouble and find their own way out, to experience failure and realize they can survive it, to be called bad names by others and learn how to respond without adult intervention. So now, here’s what we have: Young people,18 years and older, going to college still unable or unwilling to take responsibility for themselves, still feeling that if a problem arises they need an adult to solve it.
      Too many of us are unwilling to look in the mirror and see that we are to blame.

Comment

Originally posted by OB1 View Post
        Too many of us are unwilling to look in the mirror and see that we are to blame.
        I am not so sure that the problem is as big as thought to be. Every generation has winners and losers, and analogies to past generations are mostly based upon third person accounts.

Comment

Originally posted by OB1 View Post
          I had to raise my hand and do just that recently. I found myself all pent up because my daughter and her friend were climbing a tree. After initially all bent about it, I stopped and thought "she's climbing a freakin' tree. She's about 10' off the ground, which is all pine needles and moss. I climbed the same tree years ago, and it was smaller and swayed alot more."

I sheepishly told her to have fun, and went back inside.

I'm not perfect, and would be distraught if something happened I could've prevented, but I have to pull back for her own good.

Comment

I am not so sure that the problem is as big as thought to be. Every generation has winners and losers, and analogies to past generations are mostly based upon third person accounts.
            My wife works at a major university. She would quickly attest to everything in that article. third person yes, but talk with educators yourself and you'd find much of the same.

Comment

My wife works at a major university. She would quickly attest to everything in that article. third person yes, but talk with educators yourself and you'd find much of the same.
              Perhaps the problem is at the " major university ". Maybe those that are attending Community and smaller colleges , with their juggling of work, family and education, are coping better.

My third person comment is also directed to the reporting of how it was in the past. In addition there has been a growing trend of grade inflation prior to and regardless of what is stated in the article regarding conduct by educators.

Comment

Will anyone ever have anything good to say on this site? Basically it's a receptacle for every unworked issue and gripe that anyone has ever had for their entire lives. Gets just a little old.

Comment

Perhaps the problem is at the " major university ". Maybe those that are attending Community and smaller colleges , with their juggling of work, family and education, are coping better.

My third person comment is also directed to the reporting of how it was in the past. In addition there has been a growing trend of grade inflation prior to and regardless of what is stated in the article regarding conduct by educators.
                  My wife works at a small college as a Dept Head (1,200 students). Same problems...

- Cujo

Comment

Will anyone ever have anything good to say on this site? Basically it's a receptacle for every unworked issue and gripe that anyone has ever had for their entire lives. Gets just a little old.
                    I won $18.40 on FanDuel on Sunday.....

- Cujo

Comment

My wife works at a small college as a Dept Head (1,200 students). Same problems...

- Cujo
                      I am not doubting that it occurs, only that I believe that the problem is not any more important or troublesome then many other problems of past generations. One thing for sure, this is the " reporting generation" with a 24/7 news cycle, and study after study revealing the latest opinions from a collective group of so called journalists that wish to be heard. They are also fighting for their lives ,so the " reporting" and articles need to be many times questioned.

Comment

This is all just one of a very very long list of similar threads which basically come down to the author hating parents for being overly involved in the lives of their children and hating the children for being lazy pussies. What ever would we all do without Cujo and his new personality OB1 continually telling us how much we all suck as parents?

Comment

This is all just one of a very very long list of similar threads which basically come down to the author hating parents for being overly involved in the lives of their children and hating the children for being lazy pussies. What ever would we all do without Cujo and his new personality OB1 continually telling us how much we all suck as parents?
                          That was my thinking when I saw it. Interesting article but part of an ongoing theme

Comment

The product of Tigermom's and parachute parents. I raised a free range kid and it has paid off. Well adjusted and happy.

- Cujo
                            Cujo, you are the ultimate helicopter dad. Didn't you just admit recently that you started your own soccer club so that you could coach your daughter and hand pick her friends as teammates? No tryouts needed and you provided all uniforms for free? Please save the parenting speeches on how "free range" your kid was.

Hypocrisy.

Comment

And would you say that your own contributions on the site have a positive or a negative tilt?

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X