Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    TA just has better depth- exactly TA’s problem last year against the better Seattle teams. The game between wash and TA was pretty even until substitutions and the second half rolled around and wash gave all its kids opportunities in the FRIENDLY so tell the whole story not just the part that you feel suits you....
    Well, which is it? Are the local little DA clubs 'on par or better than the TA' or do they have a depth issue with their training pool?

If a player wants to be challenged in the top environment around here, then they need to be at the TA. They can learn plenty at their local club but the environment is much more challenging at the TA.

Comment

Been a while

I haven't paid much attention to the TA for a while and looked at the scores for this season. WOW is all I can say.

There is loosing and there is getting rolled up and they have been rolled up a few times. Is the TA not attracting the best players from the local clubs? I saw a few games where they gave up 7 and 6 goals.

Are there many local players left in the system ?

What is driving this poor showing. Does Rose City Prep play into the selection process are is the program geared to all competitive programs to give the player a leg up in tryouts.

Comment

records so far

I know a lot of people will say it is about development. I say it is about developing winners, that is the goal of the program.

Boys

U 18/19's 0-5-0
        U 16/17's 0-5-0
        U 15's 0-3-1

The season is still young and plenty of time to turn it around, but a combined 0-13-1 is concerning.

Girls

U 18/19's 3-2-1
        U 16/17's 1-1-3
        U 15's 1-1-1

A combined 5-4-5

Comment

I know a lot of people will say it is about development. I say it is about developing winners, that is the goal of the program.

Boys

U 18/19's 0-5-0
          U 16/17's 0-5-0
          U 15's 0-3-1

The season is still young and plenty of time to turn it around, but a combined 0-13-1 is concerning.

Girls

U 18/19's 3-2-1
          U 16/17's 1-1-3
          U 15's 1-1-1

A combined 5-4-5

What's so telling about this only a small handful of the very best of the best Oregonians/SW Washington players are kept with the Timbers DA teams, the others are cast off back to local clubs that can't even compete regionally vs other states that have upwards of 10 DA clubs in their backyard. Whoa. Sideways.

Comment

What's so telling about this only a small handful of the very best of the best Oregonians/SW Washington players are kept with the Timbers DA teams, the others are cast off back to local clubs that can't even compete regionally vs other states that have upwards of 10 DA clubs in their backyard. Whoa. Sideways.
            Oregon remains a youth soccer backwater. Every so often an Onyx or an Eastside will win a trophy of note, or a Rubin or a Hurtado will make it to the pros and stick around.

But even if you had a perfect process for picking and assembling the best All Star team from Oregon, and gave them the best training... there are dozens of teams in socal that can kick their azz.

Timbers Academy is about finding and training players, and that's it. Are they successful? Not terribly. But was the old way significantly better? Not really.

Comment

Regional Tournament.

One thing is for sure and I really believe this. The Portland Timbers are trying their best and funding the program. Not all MLS academy's are free. The players are also doing their best but it seems like there is something missing.

As far as boys club teams not competing I looked at USYS farwest regional's and they seem to be doing ok:

U 18's 1-2-0 GD 1
              U 17's 2-1-0 GD 1
              U 16's 2-1-0 GD 1
              1-1-1 GD 2
              U 15's 1-2-0 GD -1

Combined 6-7-1 GD 4

For the girls I just looked at the ECNL teams

U15 Crossfire United won it all
              The U16's went 2-1

Just looking at these two events it seems like the clubs are doing ok.

Comment

One thing is for sure and I really believe this. The Portland Timbers are trying their best and funding the program. Not all MLS academy's are free. The players are also doing their best but it seems like there is something missing.

As far as boys club teams not competing I looked at USYS farwest regional's and they seem to be doing ok:

U 18's 1-2-0 GD 1
                U 17's 2-1-0 GD 1
                U 16's 2-1-0 GD 1
                1-1-1 GD 2
                U 15's 1-2-0 GD -1

Combined 6-7-1 GD 4

For the girls I just looked at the ECNL teams

U15 Crossfire United won it all
                The U16's went 2-1

Just looking at these two events it seems like the clubs are doing ok.

yes in a boys region where Cal North and South's top 20+ teams at every age and gender are in the DA. Oregon's top club teams can compete with what's left over sometimes...

With 80 of the nations top clubs in the girls DA my 3 legged cat would also 'win it all' in the leftover ecnl.

Oregon's oysa best club teams match up well with what's left over..lower level club teams from wa. col. cali..utah. nv id and az (all da states)...we even hold our own vs alaska and montana top teams.(no ds)

we get smoked by any cal. col. wa. az. DA
                club team..which 10 to 20 years ago was not the case when these same clubs weren't in the da yet.

*** are you smokin.

Comment

number of teams

yes in a boys region where Cal North and South's top 20+ teams at every age and gender are in the DA. Oregon's top club teams can compete with what's left over sometimes...

With 80 of the nations top clubs in the girls DA my 3 legged cat would also 'win it all' in the leftover ecnl.

Oregon's oysa best club teams match up well with what's left over..lower level club teams from wa. col. cali..utah. nv id and az (all da states)...we even hold our own vs alaska and montana top teams.(no ds)

we get smoked by any cal. col. wa. az. DA
                  club team..which 10 to 20 years ago was not the case when these same clubs weren't in the da yet.

*** are you smokin.

In the NW division there are 10 teams total for boys. 4 from Oregon and Washington the balance from NorCal. In the Southwest there are 14, 12 from SoCal then AZ and NM. Even with 14 from SoCal the poplualtion is so large they produce several very good USYS teams

Comment

05 thread has turned into an indictment of Timbers Academy, so rekindling this thread. Here are homegrown minutes by MLS playoff teams:

#RBNY - 8559
                    #ATLUTD - 338
                    #SportingKC - 3306
                    #Sounders - 635
                    #LAFC - 0
                    #FCDallas - 7953
                    #NYCFC - 223
                    #PTFC - 515
                    #DCU - 2203
                    #Crew96 - 2717
                    #Doop - 5408
                    #RSL - 8559
                    https://twitter.com/jeffrueter/statu...764793857?s=20

Timbers entered league in 2011, NYFC 2016, Atlanta 2017, LAFC 2018.

Comment

05 thread has turned into an indictment of Timbers Academy, so rekindling this thread. Here are homegrown minutes by MLS playoff teams:

#RBNY - 8559
                      #ATLUTD - 338
                      #SportingKC - 3306
                      #Sounders - 635
                      #LAFC - 0
                      #FCDallas - 7953
                      #NYCFC - 223
                      #PTFC - 515
                      #DCU - 2203
                      #Crew96 - 2717
                      #Doop - 5408
                      #RSL - 8559
                      https://twitter.com/jeffrueter/statu...764793857?s=20

Timbers entered league in 2011, NYFC 2016, Atlanta 2017, LAFC 2018.
                      PTFC has a different model behind closed doors. If the Timbers were serious about developing home grown talent then they would revamp their current system. Gavin could care less. He can buy decent players later. The TA is only here because they are required to have one. Otherwise Gavin would not waste resources.

Comment

PTFC has a different model behind closed doors. If the Timbers were serious about developing home grown talent then they would revamp their current system. Gavin could care less. He can buy decent players later. The TA is only here because they are required to have one. Otherwise Gavin would not waste resources.
                        Wrong. My DS went to Westside specifically so that he would be on the pathway to TA. TA values, likes and appreciates my son's talent. You take it back! TA is good....all things good! Otherwise, what does that mean for my DS?

Comment

Wrong. My DS went to Westside specifically so that he would be on the pathway to TA. TA values, likes and appreciates my son's talent. You take it back! TA is good....all things good! Otherwise, what does that mean for my DS?
                          the Westside club on the field outperformed any iteration the Timbers MLS DA have thrown together since 2012.

Albeit their (WSM) prodigious body of work was done prior to 2012 which coincides with the inception of the MLS DA here.

Folks 2010 to 2020 will be remembered as the lost decade for our local ‘club’ soccer community

Or kindly thought of as the genesis of the worthless pay to play or pay to travel Model.

Those trapped in this mess, listen to their leadership pivot the description and hear them say it’s ‘evolution’.

things are much better today...

Comment

the Westside club on the field outperformed any iteration the Timbers MLS DA have thrown together since 2012.

Albeit their (WSM) prodigious body of work was done prior to 2012 which coincides with the inception of the MLS DA here.

Folks 2010 to 2020 will be remembered as the lost decade for our local ‘club’ soccer community

Or kindly thought of as the genesis of the worthless pay to play or pay to travel Model.

Those trapped in this mess, listen to their leadership pivot the description and hear them say it’s ‘evolution’.

things are much better today...
                            Genesis of pay to play/pay to travel goes back to the 80s my friend, although the splintering (DA, ECNL, US Club, GDA, Boys ECNL, litany of USYSA/US Club regional leagues) of competitive youth soccer has certainly driven up the cost of travel for more teams . . . but teams/players spent great deal of money in "the good old days" too, whether going to Surf, Dallas Cup, US Cup, England, or Bolivia.

Two recent trends that aren't going away are (i) MLS Academies and (ii) larger youth clubs. Can argue they are good, bad, or indifferent, but both are here to stay.

Maybe just maybe we get training comp/solidarity payment before decade is over; might lower cost for more high level boys players (maybe), won't really changing anything for the masses.

When it comes to the Timbers Academy, they should absolutely have preference and priority for local kids. Honestly, drawing all over the country (and Korea) is not leading to a good academy - if it is going to struggle, might as well struggle with local kids, whose parents buy their scarfs and tickets and whose taxes support their training ground or stadium.

That the Timbers wash their hands of any responsibility here and that folks let them is mind boggling.

Comment

“Gavin COULDN’T care less.” Could care less implies he cares. I believe what you are are trying to say is he cares so little, he couldn’t care any less than he does. Which is inaccurate, but so be it. You are entitled to an opinion, even if it is wrong.

Comment

Genesis of pay to play/pay to travel goes back to the 80s my friend, although the splintering (DA, ECNL, US Club, GDA, Boys ECNL, litany of USYSA/US Club regional leagues) of competitive youth soccer has certainly driven up the cost of travel for more teams . . . but teams/players spent great deal of money in "the good old days" too, whether going to Surf, Dallas Cup, US Cup, England, or Bolivia.

Two recent trends that aren't going away are (i) MLS Academies and (ii) larger youth clubs. Can argue they are good, bad, or indifferent, but both are here to stay.

Maybe just maybe we get training comp/solidarity payment before decade is over; might lower cost for more high level boys players (maybe), won't really changing anything for the masses.

When it comes to the Timbers Academy, they should absolutely have preference and priority for local kids. Honestly, drawing all over the country (and Korea) is not leading to a good academy - if it is going to struggle, might as well struggle with local kids, whose parents buy their scarfs and tickets and whose taxes support their training ground or stadium.

That the Timbers wash their hands of any responsibility here and that folks let them is mind boggling.
                                Wrap your mind around the reality that nearly every local club got sucked into the bottomless pit of 'pay to play/train/camp/privates' this last decade, now they have to meet a payroll ask, they had never seen or imagined in decades past in Oregon. Nearly every club regardless of ability or coaching gravitated to pay to travel. Some took it to a level of insanity. These are the hallmarks of this decade. In the past only the top club teams traveled, they needed too to get competition not provided in Oregon. Nowadays you can find 10 average clubs just like yours, why are why travelling?

One more classic theme this decade brought us is the 'business' of selling pipe dreams to parents and clubs formed out of thin air. GPS, Nich Soccer, ADF & Barcelona.

It's been a rough patch to say the least.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X