Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Messi or Maradona??

Now that we are done with the World Cup and Messi once again failed to lift the cup, is there any more doubt that Maradona is the greatest Argentinian to ever play the game?

Maradona = Skills, Speed and GUTS!

Messi = Skills, Speed and...........No Cojones!

Comment

Cornejo on how he found Maradona:

" I was scouting a U9 game when a young kid caught my attention. He had really good technical skills for his age and exceptional speed. I approached and ask for his name. He smiled and said.."Oh really, you think I am that good. You haven't seen Diego" I asked him to bring him the next day to try outs. when he came, I couldn't believe he was 9. I asked for his birth certificate to verify his age because he played beyond his years. Once I verified that he was 9, I was convinced that I had at last found the prodigy Argentinians have been waiting for."
      Francisco Cornejo.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
        Cornejo on how he found Maradona:

" I was scouting a U9 game when a young kid caught my attention. He had really good technical skills for his age and exceptional speed. I approached and ask for his name. He smiled and said.."Oh really, you think I am that good. You haven't seen Diego" I asked him to bring him the next day to try outs. when he came, I couldn't believe he was 9. I asked for his birth certificate to verify his age because he played beyond his years. Once I verified that he was 9, I was convinced that I had at last found the prodigy Argentinians have been waiting for."
        Francisco Cornejo.
        That story is utterly false. Everybody in America knows that prodigies go to DA first!

Comment

Husain Bolt announced he has a 6 week tryout with an Australian football club.

Comment

Maradona later on life said that kid was as good as him. He hurt his knee so he never made it. That young U9/10 went on to win 138 games undefeated though all of Argentina. Amazing!

Comment

Can you imagine being the Coach and being able to watch Diego for free. I can see a few FESA coaches trying to get credit for his development. LOL.

Comment

I was fortunate to watch a Maradona game 20 years ago. That one thing I will never forget about that one game was that even thought he didn't come across as being fast, he was extremely quick with his first touch. He seemed to always know what to do next with the ball as he was a chess player thinking his moves ahead. I am just glad that I got to watch him play live.

Comment

No doubt he's better than Messi. Messi was built for Barcelona (Iniesta, Xavi, Puyols, etc.). No doubt he's one of the top 2 or 3 players for the past 10 years. But Maradona did it with less talent around him.

You can name almost every player on Barca and Argentina during the Messi era. All those players are top world class players in the world.

You can't name half that many players from Maradona's era. Who else was on Argentina with him to win the WC? Hard to name more than two that are considered world class. How about Napoli? even worse.

Maradona was a beast.

Comment

No doubt he's better than Messi. Messi was built for Barcelona (Iniesta, Xavi, Puyols, etc.). No doubt he's one of the top 2 or 3 players for the past 10 years. But Maradona did it with less talent around him.

You can name almost every player on Barca and Argentina during the Messi era. All those players are top world class players in the world.

You can't name half that many players from Maradona's era. Who else was on Argentina with him to win the WC? Hard to name more than two that are considered world class. How about Napoli? even worse.

Maradona was a beast.
                    19 year old Messi was an absolute monster. I think people forget how explosive and raw Messi was at 19-24.

if you ask me who was the better player, I will go with young messi, as maybe the most explosive, brilliant player I have ever seen. if you ask me for one game, a world cup final, which one would i choose, i think i go with dieguito.

Comment

19 year old Messi was an absolute monster. I think people forget how explosive and raw Messi was at 19-24.

if you ask me who was the better player, I will go with young messi, as maybe the most explosive, brilliant player I have ever seen. if you ask me for one game, a world cup final, which one would i choose, i think i go with dieguito.
                      No doubt he was explosive. But I'd still argue he had the best midfield ever assembled creating spaces for him to work in. I'm not saying he wouldn't still be as good somewhere else. He's a beast. But Maradona was on his own level with Pele.

Comment

Messi has had great success playing professional soccer but not so much in the world cup. Maradona had great world cup success, but how was his professional career? Is Messi the best professional player and Maradona the best world cup player.

Comment

Are you kidding me? Maradona took a lowly team as Napoli who had never won an Italian championship on their history and it transform them into a powerhouse. He went on to win 2 Italian championships and an UEFA cup with Napoli. I don't see Messi ever doing that? Maradona made every team he played better and that is the real mark of a great player.

Comment

Didn't Maradona cheat to get his world cup?

Comment

Are you kidding me? Maradona took a lowly team as Napoli who had never won an Italian championship on their history and it transform them into a powerhouse. He went on to win 2 Italian championships and an UEFA cup with Napoli. I don't see Messi ever doing that? Maradona made every team he played better and that is the real mark of a great player.
                              Agreed. On Barca, there could have easily been a couple of years where Xavi or Iniesta won the Bollon d'or. They were in the top three 5 times.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X