Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another calender year thread.

There has been a lot on this topic already, but in the next week or so is where the rubber meets the road. I have noticed a couple of clubs are taking there U13 teams and moving them to U15 calendar year, essentially skipping U14 to keep the team together. Is your son/daughter skipping a year to move up with the team or are they staying "down" with there calendar year team.

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    There has been a lot on this topic already, but in the next week or so is where the rubber meets the road. I have noticed a couple of clubs are taking there U13 teams and moving them to U15 calendar year, essentially skipping U14 to keep the team together. Is your son/daughter skipping a year to move up with the team or are they staying "down" with there calendar year team.
    I'd be careful with a club that moves up an entire team 2 age groups. It might not be in the best interest of every player, development-wise.

Comment

Our club is not doing that. We are just going by the calendar year. I wouldn't think moving up is in their best interest either unless they are elite level.

Comment

My U-15 player has grown 5 inches and put on 25 lbs since his U-13 days which is not uncommon. That is not a trivial size difference.

Comment

What?

Comment

I'd be careful with a club that moves up an entire team 2 age groups. It might not be in the best interest of every player, development-wise.
            Are you new to this topic?
            The clubs are not doing it, US Soccer did it. The natural progression of a u13 born in 02 is to be classified as u15 in Fall 16. There are some 03s who have been playing with their u13 teammates, and will want to continue. But this fall they would be classified as u14, so only playing up 1 year.

Comment

Are you new to this topic?
              The clubs are not doing it, US Soccer did it. The natural progression of a u13 born in 02 is to be classified as u15 in Fall 16. There are some 03s who have been playing with their u13 teammates, and will want to continue. But this fall they would be classified as u14, so only playing up 1 year.
              I totally understand this issue and have been for a year. My point is that there will be some kids on a team that can and should only move up 1 year, but if the whole team is moving, the younger ones might regress in development.

Comment

I totally understand this issue and have been for a year. My point is that there will be some kids on a team that can and should only move up 1 year, but if the whole team is moving, the younger ones might regress in development.
                And, your club should evaluate that. I doubt the whole team is moving up...what are they doing with the 02's from the older team?

Comment

They won't regress (they won't unlearn skills) but will appear weaker relative to their older peers/competition. If you have a younger kid on a team playing up by a wide margin you may want to consider finding them another team that will be more age/skill appropriate. Yes you learn more being challenged. But you also can become discouraged very easily which can be very damaging.

Comment

Let's say two kids are on a U13 team now, one born in Dec '02, the other in Jan '03. The Dec '02 will be on a U15 team next year with other kids born in '02, many of whom are now on U14 teams defined by grade. The Jan '03 will be on a U14 team next year. So, it appears that late '02 U13's have to skip a level to U15, but they are really playing with their new age group. The new age line makes U14 disappear for the late '02's. Right?

Comment

Next year, every late year birthday (Aug-Dec) will "skip ahead" a year to align with the older kids (Jan - Jul) in their particular birth year. It's a one time thing. Of course the 8th grade/senior year "issues" will remain every year moving forward.

Comment

Let's say two kids are on a U13 team now, one born in Dec '02, the other in Jan '03. The Dec '02 will be on a U15 team next year with other kids born in '02, many of whom are now on U14 teams defined by grade. The Jan '03 will be on a U14 team next year. So, it appears that late '02 U13's have to skip a level to U15, but they are really playing with their new age group. The new age line makes U14 disappear for the late '02's. Right?
                        All Jan-July players will move up one year and all Aug-Dec players will move up two years.

Comment

All Jan-July players will move up one year and all Aug-Dec players will move up two years.
                          They will be playing with kids born in the same calendar year. I hope US Soccer just gets rid of the U-whatever altogether like hockey did a few years ago. People wouldn't focus on it and get so nervous.
                          Hasn't this topic been discussed enough on TS?

Comment

To make this simpler, the team that is currently U13 that will be U15 next year is only facing players up to 7 months older than they are currently facing. In all but the top tiers of soccer where teams are stuffed with the very oldest kids possible this isn't going to be a big deal.

Besides, those 2002's are going to be high school where they are facing players up to three years older than them so the 7 month jump in club play is almost nothing compared to that.

Comment

To make this simpler, the team that is currently U13 that will be U15 next year is only facing players up to 7 months older than they are currently facing. In all but the top tiers of soccer where teams are stuffed with the very oldest kids possible this isn't going to be a big deal.

Besides, those 2002's are going to be high school where they are facing players up to three years older than them so the 7 month jump in club play is almost nothing compared to that.
                              Not all 2002s are in HS next year - if you're Aug-Dec you're in 8th grade next year. That's nearly half the players.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X