Needham tournament college coach list

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here's a link to the list...list is appropriate for the level of talent. Most of the better teams are at the bigger/higher profile tournaments.

http://events.gotsport.com/events/co...?EventID=50255

Comment

Is there a specific website that lists which schools give sports scholarships?

Comment

The list is actually fairly impressive. There are a number of D1, D2, and D3 colleges. Most are in New England and New York although there are some from further away.

Most of the colleges do not have "fully funded" programs, but if the coach really wants a player and the player fits academically the colleges can offer merit based scholarships. The money offered through such can be significant and has the benefit that it is not tied to athletics, so if the player gets injured, does not perform, or decides that academics and internships are a priority and must drop soccer, the money is not lost.

I was not aware that Amherst, Assumption, Babson, Bates, Bentley, Boston University, Brown, Providence, Stonehill, Tufts, etc. were undesirable colleges. One needs to decide why one is attending college. If the only reason is to play soccer then few of these colleges are of interest. If the soccer is just a part of the collegiate experience and one's goals are to pursue a major outside of sports then these colleges can be excellent choices.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
          Here's a link to the list...list is appropriate for the level of talent. Most of the better teams are at the bigger/higher profile tournaments.

http://events.gotsport.com/events/co...?EventID=50255
          I've looked over and some coaches are listed on multiple tournements coaching lists. Not sure if it's the tournament or the coaches but you can't be in NJ and the cape on Memorial Day weekend without a helicopter.

Comment

Here comes the hard reality, the Needham tournament is NOT a college showcase event. It's a marketing gimmick.
            I understand that now. Does the tournament pay for these college coach expenses? Why would they even come. It seems a waste of type for both the palyers and the coaches. My player is going because it is a local tournament with little concern of the college showcase aspect.

Comment

Originally posted by OB1 View Post
              The list is actually fairly impressive. There are a number of D1, D2, and D3 colleges. Most are in New England and New York although there are some from further away.

Most of the colleges do not have "fully funded" programs, but if the coach really wants a player and the player fits academically the colleges can offer merit based scholarships. The money offered through such can be significant and has the benefit that it is not tied to athletics, so if the player gets injured, does not perform, or decides that academics and internships are a priority and must drop soccer, the money is not lost.

I was not aware that Amherst, Assumption, Babson, Bates, Bentley, Boston University, Brown, Providence, Stonehill, Tufts, etc. were undesirable colleges. One needs to decide why one is attending college. If the only reason is to play soccer then few of these colleges are of interest. If the soccer is just a part of the collegiate experience and one's goals are to pursue a major outside of sports then these colleges can be excellent choices.
              For men's programs it's a very decent list. For women's it's decent for d3 - basically Npl/Ecnl teams are at PDA so the programs are represented d3 local and d3 on up at PDA. PDA did not accept 3rd teams this year so they'd need to play elsewhere.

Comment

Many D 1 coaches don't sign up. They know who they are looking for and don't want every bad kid writing to them.

Comment

Many D 1 coaches don't sign up. They know who they are looking for and don't want every bad kid writing to them.
                  true, not all coaches register, they have personal connections with players they want to see.

Comment

true, not all coaches register, they have personal connections with players they want to see.
                    No they don't. Many just show up, even if for just a day, especially if it's in the area. Easy enough for many NE schools to hit Needham if they want. Overall it's a perfectly fine, just not good, college list. But as others said, if your team is at Needham and you're disappointed in the list then ask your club why your team isn't at a stronger tourney. But I suspect you know the reason why already,

As for coaches listed at more than one tournament I'm sure some schools just put in a coach's name then as it gets closer they decide who goes where - usually assistants going to what might be deemed "lower level." Many schools also have "volunteer" coaches listed as well on their websites. They go to the Cape tourney lol :)

Comment

why are all the teams in the top u16 section valeo, abbey villa, explosion etc , while all the nep teams are in the lower sections playing themselves again = must be tough

Comment

why are all the teams in the top u16 section valeo, abbey villa, explosion etc , while all the nep teams are in the lower sections playing themselves again = must be tough
                        Just to get you mad

Comment

maple rocks at that age u16 boys - NEP very weak

Comment

Originally posted by OB1 View Post

Completely agree and unless there are issues this year, the competition has always been top notch.

Comment

[QUOTE= But as others said, if your team is at Needham and you're disappointed in the list then ask your club why your team isn't at a stronger tourney. But I suspect you know the reason why already,

Or maybe our club listened to the parents and didn't drag us all far way from home on a holiday weekend to be seen by a bunch of coaches from a geographic region where none (OK, maybe 1 or 2) of the kids is going to go to school

Comment

[QUOTE=Unregistered;1830662][QUOTE= But as others said, if your team is at Needham and you're disappointed in the list then ask your club why your team isn't at a stronger tourney. But I suspect you know the reason why already,

Or maybe our club listened to the parents and didn't drag us all far way from home on a holiday weekend to be seen by a bunch of coaches from a geographic region where none (OK, maybe 1 or 2) of the kids is going to go to school[/QUOTE]

If that's the case then that's great. All depends on the club/team and their skill level and desires. Some clubs will listen to parent input; others will black ball you if you even dare question a tourney, let alone complain about it (as I did once with one of my younger kids - drive to VA for 12 year old soccer? I don't think so).

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X