Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Surely you are not touting the UK-born Jill Ellis as being competent? What point are you making?

As for Klinsmann, his coaching career is not so stellar, either.

So who is not bright? (This can go on all year.)
    So now you are arguing that being head coach of THE US national team is neither sufficient evidence of competence, nor a career accomplishment. Hmmm.

To answer to your question: You

Comment

Au contraire. The lack of technique of the graduates of these mega clubs undermines THEIR credibility. And as for GPS, very few other clubs import coaches on temporary visas, visas which expire in the middle of a season, and ask their customers to house those coaches.
      Parents beg to house coaches and they are paid via significant discount in fee.

Comment

Don't see that gotsoccer has updated any data since March 2016.

Comment

Parents beg to house coaches and they are paid via significant discount in fee.
          And it keeps the wife busy during the day.

Comment

Don't think I'm smarter than most, but I do know you called other posters morons, and you're a little dim
            At no point in this thread have I used any iteration of the word moron. You should make more of an effort to keep track of who you're sparring with.

Comment

So now you are arguing that being head coach of THE US national team is neither sufficient evidence of competence, nor a career accomplishment. Hmmm.

To answer to your question: You

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...rgen-klinsmann

fired quickly by German NT and Bayern - they both win after he's gone

Tag - you're "it"

Comment

Tag - you're "it"
                and I trust I don't have to pile on everybody, his brother, and his dog, on top of the "Jill Ellis can't coach her way out of a paper bag" pile

Comment

And the above post is Exhibit #89734 in the list of moronic TS posts.

Suppose a rating system ranks teams in alphabetical order, and therefore concludes that Afghanistan has the best national soccer team in the world. A year later, Germany and Spain and Brazil remain behind them in the rating system, since Afghanistan remains ahead of them in alphabetical order. According to this cretin, that simply demonstrates that Germany and Spain and Brazil have terrible teams, and the rating system works quite well.

This country just gets dumber and dumber.
                  Who wrote this?

Comment

Tag - you're "it"
                    Your comprehension level is so low. I can't believe I have to spell this out.
                    There was no argument made about their relative success at the highest levels of the game. Although winning a World Cup, and coaching two NTs is something few achieve, the point is that they both reached the highest levels. This alone is sufficient evidence that foreign coaches (brits even) are more than capable of coaching US players and certainly kids in Club pay for play soccer.

Just as one couldn't claim that being British makes you a good coach, you can also not assert that it makes you a bad one - which is at the heart of your anti-gps axe-grinding.

Comment

Your comprehension level is so low. I can't believe I have to spell this out.
                      There was no argument made about their relative success at the highest levels of the game. Although winning a World Cup, and coaching two NTs is something few achieve, the point is that they both reached the highest levels. This alone is sufficient evidence that foreign coaches (brits even) are more than capable of coaching US players and certainly kids in Club pay for play soccer.

Just as one couldn't claim that being British makes you a good coach, you can also not assert that it makes you a bad one - which is at the heart of your anti-gps axe-grinding.
                      No, that's not the heart of the anti-GPS axe grinding. The English thing is just a bonus.

Before we signed up with MPS for Fall season, I specifically asked about skills training, and they said they were "all about Coerver." Even though it cost %50 more than our previous team which folded, which in turn prompted the move, I though that at least skills would be taught. But at NO practice was there in fact one-player-one-ball Coerver-type training whatsoever. I went to all the practices (being a coach myself), so I am certain of this. And at the age (I don't want to give away too much info), it is crticially important. Two full squads were combined under one single coach at each practice. No small-sided games were held, as there were too many kids for the single coach to really manage effectively. One big swarm. That practice coach did not attend games. The "game" coach (whichever one we got in any given week) did not attend practice. As for tournaments - our first tournament - 4 games - 4 different coaches - one per game. Halfway through the first season, they imported a newly-minted, newly-graduated coach from the UK (not England, mind you) who actually showed up both to games and practices. And mused out loud within my earshot about how the squad needed ball skills. I thought, "FINALLY." Coach took the kids away from the over-crowded practice to work on ball skills (thank God). The kicker is that the coach's visa was to expire at the start of the Spring season. So maybe a half dozen effective training sessions.

By halfway through the year, it became pretty clear that we were simply revenue (it is true we were not the "A" team), and that the player development was a complete afterthought - thought very much after the revenue. I have had kids play for 5 different clubs, and MPS was far and away the best managed but worst development club of all.

While at the time, I appreciated how well-managed they were, but now that I can reflect back upon it, I realize that the "management" part was all about extracting revenue and minimizing cost (importing "year abroad" type coaches), and maximizing profit - and that's the part the organization focused upon. If they had also put the same care into development, I would have been happy.

This is all God's honest truth.

Comment

No, that's not the heart of the anti-GPS axe grinding. The English thing is just a bonus.

Before we signed up with MPS for Fall season, I specifically asked about skills training, and they said they were "all about Coerver." Even though it cost %50 more than our previous team which folded, which in turn prompted the move, I though that at least skills would be taught. But at NO practice was there in fact one-player-one-ball Coerver-type training whatsoever. I went to all the practices (being a coach myself), so I am certain of this. And at the age (I don't want to give away too much info), it is crticially important. Two full squads were combined under one single coach at each practice. No small-sided games were held, as there were too many kids for the single coach to really manage effectively. One big swarm. That practice coach did not attend games. The "game" coach (whichever one we got in any given week) did not attend practice. As for tournaments - our first tournament - 4 games - 4 different coaches - one per game. Halfway through the first season, they imported a newly-minted, newly-graduated coach from the UK (not England, mind you) who actually showed up both to games and practices. And mused out loud within my earshot about how the squad needed ball skills. I thought, "FINALLY." Coach took the kids away from the over-crowded practice to work on ball skills (thank God). The kicker is that the coach's visa was to expire at the start of the Spring season. So maybe a half dozen effective training sessions.

By halfway through the year, it became pretty clear that we were simply revenue (it is true we were not the "A" team), and that the player development was a complete afterthought - thought very much after the revenue. I have had kids play for 5 different clubs, and MPS was far and away the best managed but worst development club of all.

While at the time, I appreciated how well-managed they were, but now that I can reflect back upon it, I realize that the "management" part was all about extracting revenue and minimizing cost (importing "year abroad" type coaches), and maximizing profit - and that's the part the organization focused upon. If they had also put the same care into development, I would have been happy.

This is all God's honest truth.
                        I appreciate this post, and thank you for sharing YOUR experience in more detail. Obviously, I could never and would never dispute your specific experience. I will share that we had similar experiences while at the regional level - specifically the 2 teams 1 coach during practice sessions. We also had a coach change between fall - spring. The difference in our experience was that both those coaches were great. Furthermore, there was mobility (4 players) from regional to NPL due in large part to 11 v 11 roster growth. The opportunity for upward mobility was why we switched to a big club in the first place. At the NPL level, all of the players are committed and the coaching is excellent. My D is having a great experience (but it has a price).

You are right to remind folks that "Big Brand" club soccer costs a lot of money, and for those that are on regional teams, there is little developmental justification for the premium. My contention is that the buyers (parents) are more to blame than the sellers. Club Soccer is expensive and parents seek the prestige that accompanies the club brand. What I see parents buying is mostly Hope. They (we) are willing meet a very high ante simply to "stay in the hand". Most believe the path to the brass ring runs through elite club soccer.

A good case can be made that the probability of any ROI (college admission assistance scholarship) is exceptionally low, and that statistically all the club $ would be better spent on lottery tickets. The counter argument is that local club alternative has a probability approaching zero, and therefore that is guaranteed waste of $.

Ultimately, each family makes their choice, and each should do so using their own filter. I am sorry that you had a bad experience, and I am thankful that we have had a good one. We agree that the squeeze is not worth the juice for Big Co. Club soccer. I don't feel the issue is unique to one club - they all have lower level teams making the economics work, nor do I think it is the "fault" of the clubs, they are merely meeting demand.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                        Auto-Saved
                        x
                        Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                        x
                        Working...
                        X