Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    No blaming or lashing out here. Have watched these players develop for years and believe that there is very little true development happening in the Academy programs. This is not just at the Revs but at almost all of the academy teams and I have seen most of them. There are good players on both Academy and non Academy teams that are not being recognized and this makes no sense if the purpose is truly to develop players for both the NT and the first team (in the case of MLS clubs). As an example, I watched the U18 Revs team last year play against an all star private school team that included Jack Harrison. Jack did not play for any Academy team and ultimately went to Wake Forest and then was selected #1 overall in this years' MLS draft. Watching him that day, it was clear that he was head and shoulders above any of the players present. IMO this is the type of player the Academies should be developing but it is rare to see anyone of this caliber and he was not even Academy. If you look at todays' Rev team the best forward and top scorer AB does not even start most games. No axe to grind here just stating my opinion. If Academy was really finding and developing best talent in the US then the U17, U20, and U23 teams would be showing progress against the rest of the world. Fact is they are not and this cannot be disputed.
    Your reaching for straws with all this Banter. Tell us what's really on your mind. Get it off your chest!

Comment

Jack Harrison spent time in the Manchester United Youth system before moving to America to pursue educational opportunities. He played club soccer for NYCFC Youth Affiliate Manhattan Soccer Club, as well as the 2015 Gatorade National Boys soccer player of the year for the Berkshire School.
      It is evident that MLS Academy holds no magic potion in creating the player.

The environment, but especially parents immersed in their progeny's activities, drive their success or ability to achieve. This may be easier to accomplish without the limitations of an MLS contract but may miss out on comperable mates to challenge and learn from- especially for those without soccer "officials" in the family.

(Meaning a GM, Owner, BOD, Coach, former pro player, etc)

Comment

Yer right. My bad.
        Surprised U14 TB hasn't been called.

Kevin Vang has been called in to the U.S. Under-17 National Team
        Last year, Vang was one of four Revolution Academy players named to the U.S. Youth National Team Futures Camp. Vang was joined by fellow Academy players Jonathan Ferreira, Tyler Freitas, and Amos Shapiro-Thompson.
        Justin Rennicks has been called in to the U.S. Under-18 National Team for an eight-day domestic training camp in Chula Vista,
        Prior to his joining the Revs, I had the privilege of seeing one of those players play many times. He was a one man(boy) wrecking crew who had every skill in the book. (One big point to be taken from that is that these kids had their skills long before the Revs.

I've since seen him play with the Revs and while I'm sure he still has his skills, for the most part you wouldn't know it because the revs STIFLE THEIR PLAYERS and retard their development with restrictive and robotic training and game plans.

If Messi came their way at age 13 he probably would have been lectured that he is dribbling much too often and even though he could blow by the entire other team, he would need to get his teammates involved if he wanted to stay.

Comment

Prior to his joining the Revs, I had the privilege of seeing one of those players play many times. He was a one man(boy) wrecking crew who had every skill in the book. (One big point to be taken from that is that these kids had their skills long before the Revs.

I've since seen him play with the Revs and while I'm sure he still has his skills, for the most part you wouldn't know it because the revs STIFLE THEIR PLAYERS and retard their development with restrictive and robotic training and game plans.

If Messi came their way at age 13 he probably would have been lectured that he is dribbling much too often and even though he could blow by the entire other team, he would need to get his teammates involved if he wanted to stay.
          Why do they all go then?

Comment

agree. I think Jack Harrison would have been severely stifled if he played for the revs. Prep school soccer with great coach and good teammates (many from abroad with great soccer skills), playing hone his skills, mature as an individual, and truly express himself on the field.

Comment

agree. I think Jack Harrison would have been severely stifled if he played for the revs. Prep school soccer with great coach and good teammates (many from abroad with great soccer skills), playing hone his skills, mature as an individual, and truly express himself on the field.
              corrected...

agree. I think Jack Harrison would have been severely stifled if he played for the revs. Prep school soccer with great coach and good teammates (many from abroad with great soccer skills) and his Manhattan club in the spring, allowed him to hone his skills, mature as an individual, and truly express himself on the field.

Comment

Why do they all go then?

Different issue. Point is they don't do a good job with development. imho.

Comment

GPS and Valeo stifle too.

Comment

Development: Clearly there is more to it than meets your eyes and probably mine as well.
                    Please name one legitimate soccer player that has been developed by the Revs Academy within the past 8 years.

Comment

Please name one legitimate soccer player that has been developed by the Revs Academy within the past 8 years.
                      How about their three homegrown players and their bevy of current youth national teamers?

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                      Auto-Saved
                      x
                      Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                      x
                      Working...
                      X