Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    What's it to you how good another parent's player is? When you boil it all down, the other poster was 100% correct in that IF your kid has top of the roster ability no coach is going to walk away from them just because of their parents. That's just wishful thinking of some club coach who obviously can't stand dealing with parents. At the college level winning equates to job security so dealing with idiot parents is part of running a successful program because the better the player, usually the more demanding the parent.
    My experience after thirty years of coaching club is that the problem parents kids are on the wrong side of the talent bell curve. Not exclusively but damn close to 100%. It is all about parental insecurity. Sorry if that hurts but nearly everyone knows it is true.

Comment

My experience after thirty years of coaching club is that the problem parents kids are on the wrong side of the talent bell curve. Not exclusively but damn close to 100%. It is all about parental insecurity. Sorry if that hurts but nearly everyone knows it is true.
      Now let's get back to exiling to the penalty box

Comment

True story: I used to pitch in the Boston Park League. We played at the Agassiz stadium in JP every so often. The stands were close in to the field and you could hear everything from the stands. I went high and tight on a college age kid on an 0-2 pitch and his mother who had been riding our team pretty good for the first four innings starting screaming at me. Guess where the next pitch went? Fastball right in the ribs. As he ran down to first he yelled out "Ma!!! Knock it off..."...... How can you pass up an opportunity like that?
        Too bad the kid didn't charge the mound and hand the old man a beat down.

Comment

Too bad the kid didn't charge the mound and hand the old man a beat down.
          Nah. He took his medicine like a real man and went to first base. In that league you accepted the way the game was played.

I played hardball for 30+ years, was hit numerous times as a batter, and never once did I ever think about charging the mound.

Only a loudmouth sideline braggart thinks that way....

Comment

Demanding doesn't necessarily mean being a problem, that is unless you see any interaction with a parent as being a problem. There are quite a few of those coaches out there. They usually aren't the ones acting up on the sidelines but most parents with the most talented players usually are very involved and actively making sure that their kid gets what they need. Most typically aren't what one would classify as nonchalant or uninvolved at all.

Comment

Nah. He took his medicine like a real man and went to first base. In that league you accepted the way the game was played.

I played hardball for 30+ years, was hit numerous times as a batter, and never once did I ever think about charging the mound.

Only a loudmouth sideline braggart thinks that way....
              Sounds like you are a hardo that hung on too long. Glory days. Where did you play college ball?

Comment

Exactly it. My kid goes between the A and B teams. A team parents are pretty quiet, mostly just positive stuff to their, and other, kids. Doubtful they can even hear (my kid says she can't).

On the B team, it's dreadful. The worst kids are absolutely tied to the loudest, most clueless parents. I just stand there, looking aloof, quietly watching the game. I may give her an instruction or two via a visual clue (normally if she's sitting too deep if she's holding). She will glance to me during the game, mostly I'll give her a smile or a thumbs up. That's it, and I know for a fact I'm in line with the coach...if I weren't, I wouldn't.

Hearing the other stuff drives me absolutely crazy.

Comment

Exactly it. My kid goes between the A and B teams. A team parents are pretty quiet, mostly just positive stuff to their, and other, kids. Doubtful they can even hear (my kid says she can't).

On the B team, it's dreadful. The worst kids are absolutely tied to the loudest, most clueless parents. I just stand there, looking aloof, quietly watching the game. I may give her an instruction or two via a visual clue (normally if she's sitting too deep if she's holding). She will glance to me during the game, mostly I'll give her a smile or a thumbs up. That's it, and I know for a fact I'm in line with the coach...if I weren't, I wouldn't.

Hearing the other stuff drives me absolutely crazy.
                  Maybe that's why your kid is still on the B team.

Comment

Please explain

Comment

Sounds like you are a hardo that hung on too long. Glory days. Where did you play college ball?
                      BC. Drafted in late late rounds by Chicago White Sox out of HS. Declined and went to college.

Comment

Boy , you nailed it for sure...the kids who have the overbearing parents that constantly yell and scream, try to coach their kids on the field instead of letting them be coached by someone who actually knows the game, and in general make a fool of themselves are definitely the ones with the successful kids. My observation is that as thew kids get older, the parents realize that if there kid is good its not because of their obnoxious sideline antics and they say less than anyone. But it really depends on the club and the coach and what they tolerate. Parents will act stupidly if you let them. Sorry, but as a parent your job is to get them to games and practices, support they and their teammates, and in general be encouraging. If you are one of the village idiots on the sideline, I can guarantee you that they are happier when you cant make it to a game.

Comment

BC. Drafted in late late rounds by Chicago White Sox out of HS. Declined and went to college.
                          What was your batting average?

Comment

What was your batting average?
                            Always a little over .300. No power. Was a punch and judy hitter. Went a whole year without a strikeout or an error. Never hit a home run though. Ever, not even in little league. One of the reasons I didn't sign. No future in it.

Comment

Always a little over .300. No power. Was a punch and judy hitter. Went a whole year without a strikeout or an error. Never hit a home run though. Ever, not even in little league. One of the reasons I didn't sign. No future in it.
                              Get on the juice.

Comment

Went to Brown instead, correct?

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X