Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All of it cost....way much!

At what point do we say to ourselves ***? How many thousands does it take to realize these pyramids, we call club soccer, have no return on investment. A pathway to D1,and beyond!.....get real. People do your research. O know it's hard expect...when someone cuts you down two very personal ways......don't tell me how to spend MY money on MY kid! Maybe that freshman "red shirt' year or Sophmore he/she blows ACL within that 32min played the whole season.... whatever! We all learn at different times. All the one drinking the cool aid can cut me down..... I get it...but I learned to leave it.

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    At what point do we say to ourselves ***? How many thousands does it take to realize these pyramids, we call club soccer, have no return on investment. A pathway to D1,and beyond!.....get real. People do your research. O know it's hard expect...when someone cuts you down two very personal ways......don't tell me how to spend MY money on MY kid! Maybe that freshman "red shirt' year or Sophmore he/she blows ACL within that 32min played the whole season.... whatever! We all learn at different times. All the one drinking the cool aid can cut me down..... I get it...but I learned to leave it.
    What was put in your coffee? Sheesh!

Comment

I hear you and it seems to be getting worse.

The issue is that if players truly are chasing D1, it’s incredibly difficult to find another path.

If you’ve spent any time at ID clinics you’d know that most are trash. Coaches watch the 4 kids they personally invited and everyone else is a fundraiser. Clinics are mainly filled with poor players that make the handful of good ones really stand out which is why coaches then want to see them in club games anyhow.

For college coaches the current model was pretty efficient. Large events with most of the top players in one place.

When your kid starts talking to coaches you’ll realize how small the soccer world is. Right or wrong they view United ECNL teams as the best players in CT.

Would you suggest they play on Ginga FC or the ****ty ODP teams? It’s very hard to go a different route

Comment

I hear you and it seems to be getting worse.

The issue is that if players truly are chasing D1, it’s incredibly difficult to find another path.

If you’ve spent any time at ID clinics you’d know that most are trash. Coaches watch the 4 kids they personally invited and everyone else is a fundraiser. Clinics are mainly filled with poor players that make the handful of good ones really stand out which is why coaches then want to see them in club games anyhow.

For college coaches the current model was pretty efficient. Large events with most of the top players in one place.

When your kid starts talking to coaches you’ll realize how small the soccer world is. Right or wrong they view United ECNL teams as the best players in CT.

Would you suggest they play on Ginga FC or the ****ty ODP teams? It’s very hard to go a different route
        Maybe some college coaches struggle to identify talent but there must be some that can do it regardless fo the team the kid plays on. Put the identical player on a United ECNL team or a Ginga team and they are still the same person and player. If a college coach can not see it, maybe they should find a new job.

Comment

Maybe some college coaches struggle to identify talent but there must be some that can do it regardless fo the team the kid plays on. Put the identical player on a United ECNL team or a Ginga team and they are still the same person and player. If a college coach can not see it, maybe they should find a new job.
          Unfortunately a great player can’t really showcase their talent on a crappy team. Things break down too quickly if players around you can’t string a few simple passes together, if you’re playing against lousy competition or just playing kick and run. It’s very easy for a college coach to evaluate talent at a higher level environment. That’s just the reality.

Comment

Unfortunately a great player can’t really showcase their talent on a crappy team. Things break down too quickly if players around you can’t string a few simple passes together, if you’re playing against lousy competition or just playing kick and run. It’s very easy for a college coach to evaluate talent at a higher level environment. That’s just the reality.
            Maybe true but they are picking fish out of a small pond. A coach with the ability to ID talent in all environments would then have the advantage of fishing in the big pond.

Comment

Players on crappy teams won't be seen by college coaches since they don't participate in any events that college coaches attend.

Comment

Players on crappy teams won't be seen by college coaches since they don't participate in any events that college coaches attend.
                Suit yourselves college coaches.

Comment

Same is true at FSA ECNL and a couple of them got recruited anyway. Your argument is trash.

Comment

Almost every school has ID events on campus or part of bigger multi school events. In theory anyone can attend but yes the likelihood they will even watch you is low unless you were already on their radar. How does that happen? It can be via a showcase. But it can also be through emails, sending video, phonecards from players and/or their coaches saying "take a look at this kid."

That said, especially for higher quality programs they want players who are training at quality clubs and in highly competitive leagues. Being a stud at a lower level won't prepare you well for the intense pace of college ball. You need something in your resume to help get you in the door. After that you have to prove yourself.

Comment

Same is true at FSA ECNL and a couple of them got recruited anyway. Your argument is trash.
                      All depends on level. If you're not aiming for top programs there are many opportunities out there for college soccer that don't require a top pedigree.

Comment

Disagree. Strong players stand out regardless. And they can go to the id clinics on campus to show how strong they can be in a different environment. It's a harder path for the player, but certainly not impossible.

Comment

Have you ever heard of something called an id clinic?

Comment

Have you ever heard of something called an id clinic?
                            I have one in college now and another in the process. The whole thing is brutal. Tons of travel and expense.

The clinics IMHO are waste unless a coach reaches out and specifically invites your kid. From there they typically watch 3 to 6 players out of 50.

NCAA rules dictate that the camps are open to everyone therefore the level is very mixed and often poor. It does allow coaches to interact with players they’ve been tracking and put them in situations that they can monitor in a controlled environment. They cannot have recruiting discussions there but can certainly get to know the kid a bit more.

ID clinics are one tool of many. If you have frank discussions with any coach they want to see the kids handle a high pressure Club game. That’s probably the best simulation of what they would face in college.

Also it’s important to point out that this is D1 centric feedback. D3 schools rely heavily on their ID clinics to fill rosters. Lots of great D3 out there and many can give merit money to strong students just no athletic funds and it the case of NESCAC schools it’s neither.

Serious question though. If you have serious player with the goal of D1, why waste your time playing on 2nd tier club teams. Recruiting stuff aside, how do you get better playing at that level?

Comment

Disagree. Strong players stand out regardless. And they can go to the id clinics on campus to show how strong they can be in a different environment. It's a harder path for the player, but certainly not impossible.
                              Keep telling yourself that. Strong players are not seen by coaches playing on low level teams, it just does not happen. ID clinics are a complete crapshoot, also playing on a crap team in a crap league does not prepare a player whatsoever to play with and against top prospects. Your last sentence is true, it’s not impossible (but very, very unlikely).

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X