Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Hopefully this year that's true. Hopefully.

BUT, based on the update posted on FYSA's site, making the round of 16 will NOT guarantee you a spot in FSPL in future years.

There will only be two spots available each year for a team to move into the second tier ("First Division").

It will be a very closed system. In two years and beyond there will be several instances of non-FSPL teams beating FSPL teams in State Cup, but not having the opportunity to move into FSPL the next year.

For example, let's take this year's U15 Boys FSPL teams.

5 of the 12 teams weren't in FSPL the year before, including the team that WON the league (Team Boca-SABR).

If we were operating under the new system, Team Boca would not have even been able to be part of the Premier division this year (which they WON).

Similarly, look at TBU Premier, who couldn't even get past the Round of 16 in PRESIDENT'S Cup. They would stay in FSPL.
    Or Brevard, who only one game in their group in Round 2 of State Cup. They would stay in FSPL.

And this is just the mess you'll have at one age group.
    Also, in the Final Four of U15B only one of the teams are currently in FSPL. So if you had the new rules in place, there would be only two spots open for the three teams in the Final Four for the next year. And those spots would be in the First Division, not the Premier Division.

Comment

You're correct. Not Brevard, should have said Coral Estates.
      That is Ok, as I said not really relevant to your point. But it is is still instructive. I am always quick to defend Brevard Beachside because there is a strong bias against teams from small clubs. It is always assumed they are not good because you never heard of the club or they because they don't have good teams at other ages (not saying you are guilty of that) The point being what someone else mentioned, which is that FSPL is the only top league that historically grants access based on merit of the team rather than strength or size of the club. The other unintentional point is regarding lack of parity in the league compared to other top leagues. Someone had mentioned FSPl only had 2-3 good teams in each age category and those 2-3 teams blow out everyone else. At least in U15 boys that was not the case last year. The top 7 teams in FSPL U15 last year were all capable of beating each other. Coral estates was actually one of Brevard's three loses and by the greatest margin (2). Ther is just no way of making admission flawless. The other thing not mentioned is how much teams change from year to year. The bottom team in U15 FSPl had absolutely no business being in the league. I did not research it, but can only assume they gained admission based upon the previous year, but broke up in off season and came in with a completely different team. How do you solve for that? Is it possible to require some roster continuity prior to acceptance? These eight spots will be really coveted especially by small clubs without access to other leagues. Crime to give a spot to a team under what amounts to false pretenses.

Comment

It sounds good.

But, my kid's team made the State Cup round of 16 this year and sounds like they are not guaranteed a spot in this. They just had tryouts and represented as playing in the FSPL next year. Now it doesn't sound like that is guaranteed. Some of the big name clubs were knocked out in the first and second rounds, but played in FSPL last year. I wonder if they will have the edge over our club.
        Making round of 16 shouldn't qualify anyone for anything. I'm not being rude. It's pretty easy to accomplish making the round of 16. The good teams reveal themselves passed the round of 16. Think of it is as the first tier filter.

Comment

Making round of 16 shouldn't qualify anyone for anything. I'm not being rude. It's pretty easy to accomplish making the round of 16. The good teams reveal themselves passed the round of 16. Think of it is as the first tier filter.
          I think it should be one factor and given some weight along with all results from previous year. Close losses and ties against top teams mean a lot more than wins against mediocre and weak teams. Got soccer rankings are all over the board based on events played. Playing a top tournament and losing close games prior to semi-final might get you no points, while winning a 2nd tier tournament may get you a lot of points.

Comment

I think this is a great thing too. But after that I have to really disagree with you. I have to respectfully say that anyone who says something like this... "Clubs need to quit playing the league game suggesting ECNL, FPL and FSPL is any different or ranking them. The equality of play is the same. No better or worse. Look at State Cup results" really has not seen the higher levels of play. I have watched a ton of games in ECNL, FPL, FSPL and GDA.

I believe that the top 1-2 teams in each league (in each Region) could probably play competitively with each other in each age group. Where the huge drop in level of play is most obvious is in each league's teams that are ranked say, 4-10. Usually, (not always) when you have #1 play a #7 in ECNL you still end up with a result like 2-0 or 1-1, etc.

In our experience, usually, (not always) when you have #1 play a #7 in NPL, FSPL, etc. you end up with a result like 5-0 or 4-1, etc. because the of the dropoff in the strength of the teams in that league and region.

It is even more obvious when you go to the showcases like Jeff Cup or CASL where teams from these various leagues compete. They work hard to not schedule a #2 ECNL with a #6 NPL because it would almost certainly be a result like 5-0, etc.

And my point is not bash any league - they all have their role but nobody should confuse that fact that the level of play is the same across all of them.
            Big clubs play the league is better game to fleece small clubs of players as they age. Then the add 2, 3, 4 teams and charge ridiculous fees for a babysitter coach who does nothing to develop players. On leagues, agree league no different. Too many leagues, tournaments and games played against actual quality training. It’s a crime. Parents are clueless.

Comment

Any news on what teams were accepted

Comment

Any news on what teams were accepted

Teams will be notified of their acceptance starting June 20th, 2018

Comment

Nobody on this forum are thinking holistically top to bottom. The problem with this FYSA fiasco is that the top teams already play Region iii and in order to make FSPL relevant and make fysa money, FYSA let region iii gut Florida teams from competitive SRPL games completely.

Its complete BS and Jill and Dale ought to resign immediately. Now the top teams in the state have to play the other Florida scrubs in FSPL instead of getting competitive games against the NC, SC, and GA teams.

What a weak response to DA, GDA, and ECNL encroachment.

Comment

Nobody on this forum are thinking holistically top to bottom. The problem with this FYSA fiasco is that the top teams already play Region iii and in order to make FSPL relevant and make fysa money, FYSA let region iii gut Florida teams from competitive SRPL games completely.

Its complete BS and Jill and Dale ought to resign immediately. Now the top teams in the state have to play the other Florida scrubs in FSPL instead of getting competitive games against the NC, SC, and GA teams.

Is it just Florida doing this or is it all of Region III?

Comment

Most competitive

That is Ok, as I said not really relevant to your point. But it is is still instructive. I am always quick to defend Brevard Beachside because there is a strong bias against teams from small clubs. It is always assumed they are not good because you never heard of the club or they because they don't have good teams at other ages (not saying you are guilty of that) The point being what someone else mentioned, which is that FSPL is the only top league that historically grants access based on merit of the team rather than strength or size of the club. The other unintentional point is regarding lack of parity in the league compared to other top leagues. Someone had mentioned FSPl only had 2-3 good teams in each age category and those 2-3 teams blow out everyone else. At least in U15 boys that was not the case last year. The top 7 teams in FSPL U15 last year were all capable of beating each other. Coral estates was actually one of Brevard's three loses and by the greatest margin (2). Ther is just no way of making admission flawless. The other thing not mentioned is how much teams change from year to year. The bottom team in U15 FSPl had absolutely no business being in the league. I did not research it, but can only assume they gained admission based upon the previous year, but broke up in off season and came in with a completely different team. How do you solve for that? Is it possible to require some roster continuity prior to acceptance? These eight spots will be really coveted especially by small clubs without access to other leagues. Crime to give a spot to a team under what amounts to false pretenses.
                      If you take goal differential for FSPL, NPL and FPL, FSPL was the most competitive. Goal differential for all matches worked out to about 1. NPL - 2.8 and FPL - 3.1. NPL and FPL not worth the trouble.

Comment

My kid played R3PL and the competition sucked. The trick was that players got excited to travel out of state to play matches. Then when the game began it was a true waste of time and money. The girls never complained much because they won a game and was able to travel and stay in a hotel and feel bigger than life. The whole while I am just throwing money down a bottomless drain. At least travel will be less time consuming but still expensive unless we can come back the same day.

Comment

Not necessarily disputing the points you are trying to make, but should make sure your examples are accurate. U15 Brevard lost in the final8 of state cup. They only lost 2 games in entire State Cup tournament. Round 2 to Weston and final8 game to Wellington (who they beat in FSPL). In FSPL Brevard lost total of 3 games. two by 1 goal and one by 2 goals. Hopefully they do deserve to get back in to FSPL.

They dont deserve to be in anything other than in their local beach soccer league. I hope they don't get in and bigger clubs get in. Clubs that can put in teams at every age group.

Comment

My kid played R3PL and the competition sucked. The trick was that players got excited to travel out of state to play matches. Then when the game began it was a true waste of time and money. The girls never complained much because they won a game and was able to travel and stay in a hotel and feel bigger than life. The whole while I am just throwing money down a bottomless drain. At least travel will be less time consuming but still expensive unless we can come back the same day.
                            Agree with this 10000%

Competition was OK but nothing great. Refs sucked as much as they suck here and not one college coach or assistant coach.

Just a waste of money.

Comment

They dont deserve to be in anything other than in their local beach soccer league. I hope they don't get in and bigger clubs get in. Clubs that can put in teams at every age group.
                              Useless typical negative TS post ignored

Comment

Brilliant! Why didn't I think of that. Allow a weak team into the league solely because their club has teams at multiple age groups. That should make the league more competitive. They should do that where you work too. Promote an unqualified person over a qualified individual based on who went to a big school versus a small school.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X