GPS Oregon = 💀?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm not excusing his behavior, just stating that I support him, and any Coach for that matter that is sticking up for their player's safety.

I'm not aware of red cards he's been given past the last four to five years, because that is the duration of my daughter's time playing for MJ.

In that time, I've only witnessed three. Two of which stemmed from player safety complaints from him to the ref. And I support that, even if it's done in an aggressive manner by him, or any Coach. Safety for our kids has to be #1 priority, in any sport/activity.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      I'm not excusing his behavior, just stating that I support him, and any Coach for that matter that is sticking up for their player's safety.

I'm not aware of red cards he's been given past the last four to five years, because that is the duration of my daughter's time playing for MJ.

In that time, I've only witnessed three. Two of which stemmed from player safety complaints from him to the ref. And I support that, even if it's done in an aggressive manner by him, or any Coach. Safety for our kids has to be #1 priority, in any sport/activity.
      "And I support that, even if it's done in an aggressive manner by him..." Interesting. You are very concerned about your kid's safety. What about the referee's safety? You support a coach questioning "in an aggressive manner?" Do you not see how that can make a referee feel unsafe and how that can lead to a red card (removing the safety issue)?

Yes. You are the problem.

Comment

sorry my friend, we are now talking about two very different things (player safety and ref safety?). good luck to you and your team/daughter's team....

Comment

sorry my friend, we are now talking about two very different things (player safety and ref safety?). good luck to you and your team/daughter's team....
          Why are they different? Why are players entitled to safety but referees aren't?

Referees deserve a work place free from threats of physical abuse, verbal abuse, and the general shenanigans perpetuated by coaches like yours. Don't agree? Here's an idea. Have your kid take the beginning referee class and get a job officiating. Go watch a few games that she works. Then come back and tell me that player safety and referee safety are two different things.

Comment

Referees make mistakes. 0% of the time they will overturn their decision when a coach yells at them.

The appropriate way to handle a missed call is as follows. Respectfully speak to the ref. Tell your player that you know it wasn't a good call. And play on.

It sucks when a kid gets hurt and a call is missed. But that's not why he has gotten all of his many red cards. It seems like you are excusing all of them because of this one incident.
            Most of his red cards are due to violating rules and acting in an abusive manner.

What a role model:

-I am special, rules don’t apply to me

-Every is out to get me

-Other people (outside our clan) are jealous

-Let me model very poor conflict resolution for teen players

-I can swear at other adults, because I am special

What a narcissist. As a parent, do you want your daughter looking up to this buffoon? What impact will this have on her future relationships with people in authority?

Comment

Why are they different? Why are players entitled to safety but referees aren't?

Referees deserve a work place free from threats of physical abuse, verbal abuse, and the general shenanigans perpetuated by coaches like yours. Don't agree? Here's an idea. Have your kid take the beginning referee class and get a job officiating. Go watch a few games that she works. Then come back and tell me that player safety and referee safety are two different things.
              Player physical safety (14yr olds) vs an adult Ref's emotional safety? Come on.

There was no threat of physical abuse. There was a coach sticking up for an injured player and other players safety.

Comment

Most of his red cards are due to violating rules and acting in an abusive manner.

What a role model:

-I am special, rules don’t apply to me

-Every is out to get me

-Other people (outside our clan) are jealous

-Let me model very poor conflict resolution for teen players

-I can swear at other adults, because I am special

What a narcissist. As a parent, do you want your daughter looking up to this buffoon? What impact will this have on her future relationships with people in authority?
                I never stated anything you wrote above. Never stated people are jealous, although some spend a lot of time on this forum/subject, which is crazy to me. Never suggested people are out to get MJ. Standing up for your player is poor conflict resolution? Ha! Swearing at adults.....I'm not a fan, don't encourage it, but we all know it happens in this world/society. It's obvious you are not a fan of MJ, and that's fine. But it doesn't appear you have had much personal interaction with him.

Comment

Player physical safety (14yr olds) vs an adult Ref's emotional safety? Come on.

There was no threat of physical abuse. There was a coach sticking up for an injured player and other players safety.
                  No, it wasn't just a coach "sticking up" for a player. It was a coach verbally abusing the ref and using profanity towards a ref. Both of which violate the rules you admitted you didn't even know existed. Those rules exist for a reason - to attempt to keep coaches like yours from losing control. Obviously they aren't working. So the sanctions will continue to increase, and the coach will continue to be on an ever-shortening leash. And this is the consequence for acting a fool. You are much less likely to get the benefit of the doubt the next time you do it. (Which plays right into your victim mentality so I guess that's a win for you)

But, I can see that there is nothing anyone could say, nothing that your coach could do, and no amount of (justified) sanctions handed down by the league that could alter your opinion. Your team is a perfect fit for your values system.

Comment

What I find interesting about this. "professional" coaches (I'm using that term as those who aren't coaching their kids teams, get paid for it, and have done it for lets say over 10 years) the Majority have never gotten a red card. And beyond that multiple red cards. In big tournaments you may see 2-3 coaches Red carded in a tournament out of 300-400 hundred teams. To have a coach get multiple red cards over the years speaks to that coach more than it does the ref or what hes doing. You can EASILY stick up for a player without getting a red card.

I talked to a parent whose coach was ejected and suspended for multiple games. They felt that was unfair because they have been around premier soccer for years and see coaches do that same behavior week after week without getting ejected. The question I had for him was this: You aren't arguing the behavior wasn't right, instead your saying because other coaches get away with it, his red card should be rescinded? why not hold your coach and others to a better standard, not the lowest standard.

Comment

No, it wasn't just a coach "sticking up" for a player. It was a coach verbally abusing the ref and using profanity towards a ref. Both of which violate the rules you admitted you didn't even know existed. Those rules exist for a reason - to attempt to keep coaches like yours from losing control. Obviously they aren't working. So the sanctions will continue to increase, and the coach will continue to be on an ever-shortening leash. And this is the consequence for acting a fool. You are much less likely to get the benefit of the doubt the next time you do it. (Which plays right into your victim mentality so I guess that's a win for you)

But, I can see that there is nothing anyone could say, nothing that your coach could do, and no amount of (justified) sanctions handed down by the league that could alter your opinion. Your team is a perfect fit for your values system.
                      I was speaking about the rule regarding sideline/player bench (that I didn't know about)

You were in attendance at this game, two years ago, that a GPS player was injured? You witnessed this incident?

Comment

What I find interesting about this. "professional" coaches (I'm using that term as those who aren't coaching their kids teams, get paid for it, and have done it for lets say over 10 years) the Majority have never gotten a red card. And beyond that multiple red cards. In big tournaments you may see 2-3 coaches Red carded in a tournament out of 300-400 hundred teams. To have a coach get multiple red cards over the years speaks to that coach more than it does the ref or what hes doing. You can EASILY stick up for a player without getting a red card.

I talked to a parent whose coach was ejected and suspended for multiple games. They felt that was unfair because they have been around premier soccer for years and see coaches do that same behavior week after week without getting ejected. The question I had for him was this: You aren't arguing the behavior wasn't right, instead your saying because other coaches get away with it, his red card should be rescinded? why not hold your coach and others to a better standard, not the lowest standard.
                        Great, valid points. I think we (as parents) do justify things as it pertains to our kids/teams and their coaches (our bubble, per say).

On the specific subject of getting a red card due to sticking up for your injured player........I would agree it's a fine line and can be handled differently. But because a coach crosses that line doesn't make him/her a bad coach, bad person, buffoon, or whatever other term is being used to describe MJ. Too me, it speaks more about that coaches concern and care for their player(s).

Now if there was physical threats or actual physical contact/abuse towards a ref......that's a different story. But questioning a ref when a player is down, bleeding and eventually headed to the ER for stitches, I'm fully in support that Coach, even if done in an aggressive manner. It was an ugly situation for all involved that day.

Comment

I was speaking about the rule regarding sideline/player bench (that I didn't know about)

You were in attendance at this game, two years ago, that a GPS player was injured? You witnessed this incident?
                          I will say this one more time, slowly, hoping you will finally get it (I bet you won't).

It does NOT matter what happened to the player. The "wrong" of the missed call does not justify the "wrong" of the coach's behavior that led to him being ejected. Yes, it's unfortunate. Soccer is a physical game and sometimes players get injuries that are caused by fouls. It sucks and having been through this for many years, it's heartbreaking to see a kid get hurt.

None of that justifies breaking the rules in how you behave towards a referee. If your coach just "stuck up for his player," he would not have been ejected. He didn't and you know it. He crossed the line. Like he has done many times before. And he was punished accordingly by being ejected.

The fact that his bad behavior was precipitated by a missed call does not excuse the bad behavior. Ever. In any circumstance.

AND, just to be clear, it's your opinion and his opinion it was a missed call. It's entirely possible the paid and professionally trained referees disagreed. It's entirely possible your coach was wrong about the call.

Comment

Great, valid points. I think we (as parents) do justify things as it pertains to our kids/teams and their coaches (our bubble, per say).

On the specific subject of getting a red card due to sticking up for your injured player........I would agree it's a fine line and can be handled differently. But because a coach crosses that line doesn't make him/her a bad coach, bad person, buffoon, or whatever other term is being used to describe MJ. Too me, it speaks more about that coaches concern and care for their player(s).

Now if there was physical threats or actual physical contact/abuse towards a ref......that's a different story. But questioning a ref when a player is down, bleeding and eventually headed to the ER for stitches, I'm fully in support that Coach, even if done in an aggressive manner. It was an ugly situation for all involved that day.
                            You are almost completely right. But what makes you wrong is "even if done in an aggressive manner." That's why the coach was ejected and that's why your'e wrong.

Comment

I will say this one more time, slowly, hoping you will finally get it (I bet you won't).

It does NOT matter what happened to the player. The "wrong" of the missed call does not justify the "wrong" of the coach's behavior that led to him being ejected. Yes, it's unfortunate. Soccer is a physical game and sometimes players get injuries that are caused by fouls. It sucks and having been through this for many years, it's heartbreaking to see a kid get hurt.

None of that justifies breaking the rules in how you behave towards a referee. If your coach just "stuck up for his player," he would not have been ejected. He didn't and you know it. He crossed the line. Like he has done many times before. And he was punished accordingly by being ejected.

The fact that his bad behavior was precipitated by a missed call does not excuse the bad behavior. Ever. In any circumstance.

AND, just to be clear, it's your opinion and his opinion it was a missed call. It's entirely possible the paid and professionally trained referees disagreed. It's entirely possible your coach was wrong about the call.
                              Sorry, we disagree. We're talking about humans, and humans behave passionately, in the moment. What you are describing is a robot that should follow the letter of the law. You and I both know that doesn't occur in the real world. "Bad behavior" is in the eye of the beholder.

It's ok to disagree. And it's obvious now that you were not in attendance, so your opinion is subjective at best on this situation.

Comment

You are almost completely right. But what makes you wrong is "even if done in an aggressive manner." That's why the coach was ejected and that's why your'e wrong.
                                Sorry, we just don't agree. And that's ok. I feel differently when it comes to a 14yr olds safety and expressing that concern verbally, in the moment.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X