Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    lmao...you are probably right with the pulisic part (i'm just referencing an earlier post from another idiot) but i think you catch my drift. :)
    nice recovery mate

Comment

lmao...you are probably right with the pulisic part (i'm just referencing an earlier post from another idiot) but i think you catch my drift. :)
      It looks like this thread has veered into how to develop better soccer players a bit. I don't think birth year has much of anything to do with. Until American kids decide to just "play" in their free time, always have a ball at their feet, we will lack technical qualities of the rest of the world. Pele played in the streets of Brazil and used mangos for soccer balls. In the U.S. kids have a bunch of over priced soccer balls sitting in the corner, they wait for their 2 training sessions a week and maybe, just maybe they pay extra for an additional hour.

The U.S. spends more money, has better facilities, better athletes, but not better soccer players. Its up to the players/kids to make it a lifestyle and put in the hours of training and playing. How many pickup games do kids play at a local park? Probably none. Some clubs even discourage it even though they train only 3 hours a week. Anyone's kids play Futsal? Maybe some, but again some clubs discourage that unless they organize it.

Comment

The U.S. spends more money, has better facilities, better athletes, but not better soccer players. Its up to the players/kids to make it a lifestyle and put in the hours of training and playing. How many pickup games do kids play at a local park? Probably none. Some clubs even discourage it even though they train only 3 hours a week. Anyone's kids play Futsal? Maybe some, but again some clubs discourage that unless they organize it.
        There are so many factors that make it very difficult. Parks dont make it easy to just go and play pickup because there's demand and they require permits to use the fields or the old man beer league softball teams take up the spaces. The move from town teams to big clubs means the kids are in the car much more and often at tough hours that makes it hard to also just play after school. As far as the futsal thing, it always depends on where you're doing it. Our club organizes it but it is really not that beneficial. They arent playing real futsal, its just the same exact kids and coaches on a basketball court instead of a turf field, all for an extra $300 bucks. They dont teach real ball mastery or spend time on skill development because that would require hiring trainers capable of teaching those things.

Comment

2005 Trapped players

There are so many factors that make it very difficult. Parks dont make it easy to just go and play pickup because there's demand and they require permits to use the fields or the old man beer league softball teams take up the spaces. The move from town teams to big clubs means the kids are in the car much more and often at tough hours that makes it hard to also just play after school. As far as the futsal thing, it always depends on where you're doing it. Our club organizes it but it is really not that beneficial. They arent playing real futsal, its just the same exact kids and coaches on a basketball court instead of a turf field, all for an extra $300 bucks. They dont teach real ball mastery or spend time on skill development because that would require hiring trainers capable of teaching those things.
          Main factor is this and its very simple.....Soccer is not the main activity in the USA!!! Not even close, maybe 3rd or 4th compared to Football, Baseball and Basketball. Look at the FIFA rankings right now. https://www.fifa.com/fifa-world-rank...ing-table/men/ the USA men are ranked #21. Do you know the common denominator for the countries ranked in the 1-20? Soccer is the main activity in those countries.

We can blame this league or that league, this guy or that guy, us club or whoever you want....but the truth is we are not a soccer 1st country, we never were, we are not now and we probably will never be a soccer 1st country.

Comment

Main factor is this and its very simple.....Soccer is not the main activity in the USA!!! Not even close, maybe 3rd or 4th compared to Football, Baseball and Basketball. Look at the FIFA rankings right now. https://www.fifa.com/fifa-world-rank...ing-table/men/ the USA men are ranked #21. Do you know the common denominator for the countries ranked in the 1-20? Soccer is the main activity in those countries.

We can blame this league or that league, this guy or that guy, us club or whoever you want....but the truth is we are not a soccer 1st country, we never were, we are not now and we probably will never be a soccer 1st country.
            Money changes everything.

Comment

2005 Trapped players

Money changes everything.
              Nice quote, How much money will you need to get soccer ahead of (american) football, baseball and basketball?
              When was the last time Red Bull Arena was sold out for a Red Bulls Game? The attendance #s are a joke.

Comment

Nice quote, How much money will you need to get soccer ahead of (american) football, baseball and basketball?
                When was the last time Red Bull Arena was sold out for a Red Bulls Game? The attendance #s are a joke.

Average Sports Attendance #'s:

NFL: 67,042 (16-game season); avg price ticket $92.98
                MLB: 28,794 (162-game season); avg price ticket $31
                MLS: 21,873 (34-game season); avg price ticket $22.82
                NBA: 17,857 (82-game season); avg price ticket $55.88
                NHL: 17,456 (82-game season); avg price ticket $62.18

Comment

So what is the correlation you are driving at here? Also sports attendance may not be the best barometer as NBA/NHL play in smaller venues than NFL teams.

But is the larger point you are making that future earnings in sports drives kids interest in what sports they play?

Comment

2005 Trapped players

wow cheapest tickets for an event....and we still cant fill the seats with a 34 game season!!!!
                    I saw (briefly) a div 1 game the other day on espn, when the camera zoomed out there were only about 100 people watching in the stands!!!!!!!!!!!! soccer is a joke in the US!!!! like a red headed step child. (no offense to any redheaded step children out here).

Comment

So what is the correlation you are driving at here? Also sports attendance may not be the best barometer as NBA/NHL play in smaller venues than NFL teams.

But is the larger point you are making that future earnings in sports drives kids interest in what sports they play?
                      No real correlation. MLS draws better, albeit in larger stadiums, at a lower priced ticket. Most teams have moved away from playing in football stadiums and soccer-specific stadiums in the 18k-30k range (a few go higher).

NBA/NHL plays typically to over 80% capacity. Hard to tell with MLS, but looking quickly it appears to be on par. I could do the math, but don't feel like it.

I only posted the detail because you (someone) said the attendance #'s are a joke, and I happen to disagree.

If you were wondering, the Red Bulls play on average at 75% capacity, down from the previous year about 5%. Rarely (if ever) do they sell out.

Comment

No real correlation. MLS draws better, albeit in larger stadiums, at a lower priced ticket. Most teams have moved away from playing in football stadiums and soccer-specific stadiums in the 18k-30k range (a few go higher).

NBA/NHL plays typically to over 80% capacity. Hard to tell with MLS, but looking quickly it appears to be on par. I could do the math, but don't feel like it.

I only posted the detail because you (someone) said the attendance #'s are a joke, and I happen to disagree.

If you were wondering, the Red Bulls play on average at 75% capacity, down from the previous year about 5%. Rarely (if ever) do they sell out.
                        I didn't mention attendance numbers but questioned the correlation between attendance and quality of play.

I think if we are discussing other sports (NFL, MLB, NBA) it isn't apples to apples with soccer/MLS. MLS is not a top league, whereas the NBA, NFL, and MLB are in their sports.

If American kids want to get rich playing soccer, it is not in the United States, its overseas. In order to compete with that level of talent the training model needs to drastically change. In the U.S. we have turned soccer into a 10 month sport, but typically only train 2 or 3 days a week. Some clubs train once a week in the Winter. The sport would be better served to either jump in with both feet and increase training or drop the length/commitment of pretending it's 8-10 months but only having minimal training opportunities.

Also as mentioned previously, kids need to play outside the club setting. Many of the other sports are played by kids that play pickup games or variations of the sport using similar skill sets (ex. Baseball/stickball/wiffleball).

Soccer demands a wholly unique skill set that isn't practiced outside of club settings. Also in the U.S. we put a premium on physical attributes that other countries overlook. They place a higher value on technical qualities.

Comment

2005 Trapped players

I didn't mention attendance numbers but questioned the correlation between attendance and quality of play.

I think if we are discussing other sports (NFL, MLB, NBA) it isn't apples to apples with soccer/MLS. MLS is not a top league, whereas the NBA, NFL, and MLB are in their sports.

If American kids want to get rich playing soccer, it is not in the United States, its overseas. In order to compete with that level of talent the training model needs to drastically change. In the U.S. we have turned soccer into a 10 month sport, but typically only train 2 or 3 days a week. Some clubs train once a week in the Winter. The sport would be better served to either jump in with both feet and increase training or drop the length/commitment of pretending it's 8-10 months but only having minimal training opportunities.

Also as mentioned previously, kids need to play outside the club setting. Many of the other sports are played by kids that play pickup games or variations of the sport using similar skill sets (ex. Baseball/stickball/wiffleball).

Soccer demands a wholly unique skill set that isn't practiced outside of club settings. Also in the U.S. we put a premium on physical attributes that other countries overlook. They place a higher value on technical qualities.

I think the system for scoring points in soccer is quite boring compared to Football, Baseball and basketball.

Football there a multiple ways to score points TD, conversions, interceptions, FG, downs.
                          Baseball has singles, doubles, triples and the all mighty grand slam!!!
                          Basketball is fast paced with 2pts, 3 pts, foul shots, ect.

I think the above games offer an interesting array of scoring and attracts interest in contrast to soccer where the scoring is very simple 1 goal = 1pt. I also, don't think it helps the average (non-soccer fan) that a 1-0 game after 90 minutes is considered a "good game" compared to football, basketball and baseball....sorry if i sound anti-soccer but it is what it is.

Comment

I think the system for scoring points in soccer is quite boring compared to Football, Baseball and basketball.

Football there a multiple ways to score points TD, conversions, interceptions, FG, downs.
                            Baseball has singles, doubles, triples and the all mighty grand slam!!!
                            Basketball is fast paced with 2pts, 3 pts, foul shots, ect.

I think the above games offer an interesting array of scoring and attracts interest in contrast to soccer where the scoring is very simple 1 goal = 1pt. I also, don't think it helps the average (non-soccer fan) that a 1-0 game after 90 minutes is considered a "good game" compared to football, basketball and baseball....sorry if i sound anti-soccer but it is what it is.
                            That's what makes sports interesting. People value different aspects of a particular sport.

Sorry it took so long to respond, I was on an NFL Forum telling people soccer was a more exciting sport.

Comment

2005 Trapped players

That's what makes sports interesting. People value different aspects of a particular sport.

Sorry it took so long to respond, I was on an NFL Forum telling people soccer was a more exciting sport.
                              funny but the $$$$ behind soccer compared to football, baseball and basketball in the USA does not support your statement amigo.

secondly, soccer, football, baseball, basketball are not real sports...they are games.

Comment

secondly, soccer, football, baseball, basketball are not real sports...they are games.
                                Oh gawd...not this again.....

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X