X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[QUOTE=Unregistered;2707676]
    Originally posted by Unregistered View Post

Speaking from experience: the coach gets good results but you have to be willing to subject your daughters to some harsh treatment if you go to play for this team. I've watched girls leave his team in tears. A harsh delivery is an understatement.

That team is all about results.

And no they're not kick and run team but not worth it for me. I believe a coach should be a role model.
    I have seen this team play many times and always admire the chemistry between the coach and his players. I have 3 kids in soccer and this is one team I enjoy watching outside my kids teams.

Comment

Great team and Coach. We are hoping to get our daughters to a tryout over the summer. Our twins are ready to move

Comment

[QUOTE=Unregistered;2707675]

Speaking from experience: the coach gets good results but you have to be willing to subject your daughters to some harsh treatment if you go to play for this team. I've watched girls leave his team in tears. A harsh delivery is an understatement.

That team is all about results.

And no they're not kick and run team but worth it for me. I believe a coach should be a role model.
        So let me ask what constitutes a role model? A cantankerous old coach who doesn't communicate well, swears at the girls, makes them run miles BEFORE practice to get those legs nice and tired before they are cutting and lunging on turf and benches his best player for most of the game vs PDA because she misses practice for going on vacation? Is that a role model? Is it possible that a young coach with the utmost professionalism and attention to detail and one who treats his girls with the utmost respect if they in fact respect his rules and the game is in fact the epitome of a role model. FWIW I have seen long-time coaches at the club yell in a manner far worse than this coach, so maybe you should get out more. One other note is if you have been around the club soccer landscape long enough you would know that looking for a coach as a role model amidst this godforsaken cesspool is akin to looking for a diamond at the bottom of a Cracker Jack box.

Comment

FWIW, what soccer coaches should be are people who develop a love for the game in any young player they coach, and teach that player how to be a better player and a great teammate. If they can help that player learn to respect others, well that's a plus.

I, for one, am not asking my 11 year old daughter's soccer coach to be her role model, if that happens, that is great, but not what I am looking for. My daughter's role models are people like her mother, who works a full time job, and comes home to go outside with her kids and ride bikes. Who just finished paying off her student loan for her PHD, without any help from her parents. Who finds time to volunteer with the PTA and Meals on Wheels on weekends. Who teaches my daughter that it is better to be emotionally happy, rather than rich in "things". That is her role model. Her coach is a guy that is helping her along the way become the person she aspires to be

Comment

[QUOTE=Unregistered;2708041]

So let me ask what constitutes a role model? A cantankerous old coach who doesn't communicate well, swears at the girls, makes them run miles BEFORE practice to get those legs nice and tired before they are cutting and lunging on turf and benches his best player for most of the game vs PDA because she misses practice for going on vacation? Is that a role model? Is it possible that a young coach with the utmost professionalism and attention to detail and one who treats his girls with the utmost respect if they in fact respect his rules and the game is in fact the epitome of a role model. FWIW I have seen long-time coaches at the club yell in a manner far worse than this coach, so maybe you should get out more. One other note is if you have been around the club soccer landscape long enough you would know that looking for a coach as a role model amidst this godforsaken cesspool is akin to looking for a diamond at the bottom of a Cracker Jack box.
            You set the bar really low for your daughter. Win at all cost. Bench your goalie to play a goalie from a different team because you need the win. If he is short players he'll play every player but as soon as he has better players he replaces anyone he deems unworthy. It's good if your at the top of the roster, don't want to be bottom. And the girls that are leaving WC are from the A team (the original A team) and they turned down the offer. And again I'm not saying he doesn't know soccer or how to win games is the methods. A coach should take all players on the team and try to develop them.

Comment

These forums are not the place to find where is the best place for your daughter to be. Like anything in life some people love something and some people hate it. Your child might love their teacher and the there will be 20 other kids that hate the same teacher. If your looking to a forum to decide your daughters fate in sports then your already doing yourself a disservice out the gate.

It’s so sad to know that there are parents that have time to sit and bash a team or club or coach. I get everyone is locked up but find a better cause in life to fight for. That’s my 2 cents!

Be kind everyone...life is tough enough!

Comment

[QUOTE=Unregistered;2708235]

You set the bar really low for your daughter. Win at all cost. Bench your goalie to play a goalie from a different team because you need the win. If he is short players he'll play every player but as soon as he has better players he replaces anyone he deems unworthy. It's good if your at the top of the roster, don't want to be bottom. And the girls that are leaving WC are from the A team (the original A team) and they turned down the offer. And again I'm not saying he doesn't know soccer or how to win games is the methods. A coach should take all players on the team and try to develop them.
                There was only one A team. To say the coach does not develop that team discounts everything you have wrote. Obviously you know nothing about futbol

Comment

The way I look at it is there are two transitional periods for girls in 2008/2007. The transition from 9v9 to 11v11 and then the transition post puberty around freshman year where clubs and kids are looking to play more competitively for that 5% chance of getting that 100% scholarship that’s being divided amongst 10 girls on a 20+ roster D1 roster.

Just because a team or child can juggle 100 times or do super cool dribbling drills on Instagram and tiktok(which probably took them 30+ tries in the first place), doesn’t mean that translates to playing on a larger field or if kids pass them by physically. How many kids did you grow up with that topped out at like 6th grade? Man, Susie was so good at sports growing up and had mad skills but she can’t make the JV team because she plateau’d or found other interests. Or Susie is a phenomenal technical player but she doesn’t know how to work outside her 5x5 box around her or she can’t track back because she’s slow now compared to other kids and never learned how to run properly. Or Susie put all her eggs in one basket to be the best soccer player at the best club but never played another sport, therefore she doesn’t know how to use her body properly and/or gets injured.

Soccer is like music, it needs to flow, connect and have rhythm. Kids needs to be selfless and play for the greater good of the game and not be influenced by vicarious parents.

I’m sure this team is phenomenal and they play together most likely outside of soccer as well. Just be conscious, just because they are good now, doesn’t 100% translate to them being good later.

And what’s wrong with being physical? You watch the prem, they beat the heck out of each other, while other leagues you see the difference in style. Being physical is all part of the game and if you can’t handle it, either try something else or adapt and work around it.

It’s like the Detroit Pistons & Bulls on the Last Dance!

Comment

The way I look at it is there are two transitional periods for girls in 2008/2007. The transition from 9v9 to 11v11 and then the transition post puberty around freshman year where clubs and kids are looking to play more competitively for that 5% chance of getting that 100% scholarship that’s being divided amongst 10 girls on a 20+ roster D1 roster.

Just because a team or child can juggle 100 times or do super cool dribbling drills on Instagram and tiktok(which probably took them 30+ tries in the first place), doesn’t mean that translates to playing on a larger field or if kids pass them by physically. How many kids did you grow up with that topped out at like 6th grade? Man, Susie was so good at sports growing up and had mad skills but she can’t make the JV team because she plateau’d or found other interests. Or Susie is a phenomenal technical player but she doesn’t know how to work outside her 5x5 box around her or she can’t track back because she’s slow now compared to other kids and never learned how to run properly. Or Susie put all her eggs in one basket to be the best soccer player at the best club but never played another sport, therefore she doesn’t know how to use her body properly and/or gets injured.

Soccer is like music, it needs to flow, connect and have rhythm. Kids needs to be selfless and play for the greater good of the game and not be influenced by vicarious parents.

I’m sure this team is phenomenal and they play together most likely outside of soccer as well. Just be conscious, just because they are good now, doesn’t 100% translate to them being good later.

And what’s wrong with being physical? You watch the prem, they beat the heck out of each other, while other leagues you see the difference in style. Being physical is all part of the game and if you can’t handle it, either try something else or adapt and work around it.

It’s like the Detroit Pistons & Bulls on the Last Dance!
                    Hi late bloomer mom or dad! I love when you show up to the party. Thanks for coming out. Nope never really saw it much growing up and I played a sport at a major d1 school. No I wasn’t very good either relative to the studs that I played with. Just a pretty good athlete who played a couple sports right around a d1 level. Nothing special at all relative to gifted athletes. Those kids were always good. Period end of story.

You see it in a few sports...like the kid throwing 78-80 as a freshman and he is throwing 88 as a senior. Yes in baseball or hoops. Sorry never soccer...never in my life. The boys and girls that were juice at 10-11 usually were juice at 17. Sure in varying degrees...maybe some dipped a little and lost some speed. But in soccer...no sir the boy or girl who was average or so so at 10, 11, 12...nope, that kid never got much better. I do like when I hear about it from the coaches and parents though. It always makes for a fun convo and I nod my head and smile.

Comment

Hi late bloomer mom or dad! I love when you show up to the party. Thanks for coming out. Nope never really saw it much growing up and I played a sport at a major d1 school. No I wasn’t very good either relative to the studs that I played with. Just a pretty good athlete who played a couple sports right around a d1 level. Nothing special at all relative to gifted athletes. Those kids were always good. Period end of story.

You see it in a few sports...like the kid throwing 78-80 as a freshman and he is throwing 88 as a senior. Yes in baseball or hoops. Sorry never soccer...never in my life. The boys and girls that were juice at 10-11 usually were juice at 17. Sure in varying degrees...maybe some dipped a little and lost some speed. But in soccer...no sir the boy or girl who was average or so so at 10, 11, 12...nope, that kid never got much better. I do like when I hear about it from the coaches and parents though. It always makes for a fun convo and I nod my head and smile.
                      Right, Messi was a star at 10.

Comment

Right. We all know Messi was a star at 10 (or not)

Comment

my experience is that boys for sure the ones who are good at 11 are good at 16. They rarely stop enjoying the sport and the reason they were good early is because they enjoy it, play a lot and dont view their messing about as "practice" but something they do for love of it. Add in good genes and there it is.

With girls, not exactly the case. Some girls are excellent at 11 but puberty turns out to be a real bitch and they fall off a truck at 14. Some girls practice a lot and get very good a little later on. Many stay at town programs longer or keep playing other sports and only focus on soccer as of 6th grade or so. I'd agree that the very top of girl talent is evident at around 12 but thats very few players.

For me, the difference between a total stud boy, with pro potential vs the average is enormous. For girls that spread really is not as big.

Comment

Right, Messi was a star at 10.
                            He actually was. He played for the youth team of Newells Old Boys and at 12 or 13 Barcelona moved him and his father to Barcelona.

Comment

My D's HS team had a kid who was 4ft10in as a freshman. Decent skills but not so fast, not so strong, often overpowered and was not much an impact player. Fast forward to senior year, she was now 5ft5in, skilled, fast and powerful. And more importantly, confident and impactful as a player on the field. All-County recognition and committed to a strong D3 soccer program.

Comment

This thread is solely a function of pay to play, which has warped every parent’s ability to analyze their own kids objectively and has absolutely destroyed US youth soccer as a result. I pay so my kid deserves what every other kid deserves and I am the consumer so I can complain to the club when I don’t like how much playing time my kid gets or the position they play or the coach doesn’t like my kid...I have seen it everywhere. It is to the point that I don’t even enjoy being in the club environment anymore. I have one child that is outstanding and he/she deserves everything he/she gets and all of the opportunities he/she gets over other players less talented are warranted and I have another child who is mediocre at best and it sickens me when he/she gets opportunities over better kids or kids with more promise because he/she doesn’t deserve it. There are no blinders on. If a kid is on his or her 3rd club in 5 years and is constantly blaming someone else for the kid’s problems As the parents search for the holy grail that will grant eternal soccer life and greatness...well I would say it is time to look in the mirror and realize it isn’t coming. Neither one of my kids can play an instrument or sing if their lives depended on it...guess what? They stay out of the goddamn band and school chorus.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X