Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grad year announcement coming

We are already hearing (unofficially) that the next shoe to drop is a return to year of graduation age groups. Everyone from college coaches to parents want this. Anyone else hearing it?

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    We are already hearing (unofficially) that the next shoe to drop is a return to year of graduation age groups. Everyone from college coaches to parents want this. Anyone else hearing it?
    I like the “We’re hearing it... are you?” part of the message.

Comment

Nope. Not a word

Comment

I'll bite. Some of the Stars coaches were talking about it pre-lockdown, but we haven't heard anything since. I agree it is the way to go. Both of my kids do it for lacrosse, and it is a much simpler process and pool of kids to rate against.

Comment

I'll bite. Some of the Stars coaches were talking about it pre-lockdown, but we haven't heard anything since. I agree it is the way to go. Both of my kids do it for lacrosse, and it is a much simpler process and pool of kids to rate against.
          Perfect time to switch! That would be great and smart news from USSF!

Comment

Some love to keep stirring the pot on this one. There is zero advantage to birth year. It has killed participation at young ages. At the older ages, it’s just stupid for any league that is trying to align itself as the college pathway. It leaves trapped 8th graders with no team. As for making it easier to identify NT players, again, it is just stupid as those unicorns are known and likely playing up already.

And now the effect of Covid-19 puts those late birth year 2003s in a horrible situation having missed out on a prime recruiting year, they now move on to a u18/19 team.

No idea why they would keep birth year, but still, I do not see a change coming.

Comment

Perfect time to switch! That would be great and smart news from USSF!
              In many ways I think this would be the first announcement that provides relief in youth soccer in a very, very long time. Kids are worried about returning from this to new leagues, new teams, trying to recruit, getting showcased, an 8th grade fall season, where do they play as a senior when most of their team is graduating. Walking back into a soccer world where after try outs kids can generally stick together would be great. While there is roster turn over every year, eliminating the 8th grade/ senior year shake up would reduce the shock waves considerably. Recruiting would be easier. It just makes sense.

Comment

In many ways I think this would be the first announcement that provides relief in youth soccer in a very, very long time. Kids are worried about returning from this to new leagues, new teams, trying to recruit, getting showcased, an 8th grade fall season, where do they play as a senior when most of their team is graduating. Walking back into a soccer world where after try outs kids can generally stick together would be great. While there is roster turn over every year, eliminating the 8th grade/ senior year shake up would reduce the shock waves considerably. Recruiting would be easier. It just makes sense.
                Ecnl will do it if ussf doesnt, now that ussf is out of the youth league business.

Comment

Clubs and leagues will be doing what they can to keep as many players as they can. That includes going back to school year/grade. USSF and DA were the only ones that wanted it anyway

Comment

That process was bad. Very disruptive and within recent memory. No team wants to go through that again. Just wait awhile on that one.

Comment

That process was bad. Very disruptive and within recent memory. No team wants to go through that again. Just wait awhile on that one.
                      Its exactly what we need. The deck is getting shuffled regardless. Group by grad year and new placements will be clean slate.

Comment

What about teams playing in nep and other leagues? Can they go back to grade year as well?? They are in the same situation in 8th grade and as high school juniors.

Comment

Its exactly what we need. The deck is getting shuffled regardless. Group by grad year and new placements will be clean slate.
                          The only people who want group by grad year are those whose child it seems to benefit. Please not another change!

Comment

The only people who want group by grad year are those whose child it seems to benefit. Please not another change!
                            Grad year is better since it makes it a lot easier for recruiting. deal with it you pussies cause you're playing with kids in the same grade, it's a fact compared to birth year where kids are in different grades.

Comment

I love the parents that are afraid of the fall born kids coming back to play with their grade. The better question is—why keep a system where 1/3 of kids have no team to play for in the fall of 8th grade? College coaches can’t stand birth year. It makes recruiting that much harder.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X