Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WPU U9, Development

My son currently plays for the WPU U9. I want to help him take his game to the next level. I already have him playing 3v3. His team placed 3rd in Nationals this past July. I have heard the having him play Futsal is a great way to help him develop.

We live in Pembroke Pines and am interested in looking to the Futsal to help him develop, or any other development program.

Any guidance will be greatly appreciated.

Here's some advice, but you're not gonna like it.

Leave him alone with a ball. Kick around with him, but don't "coach" him.

If he wants to play, he will. Offer him the opportunities, then back off. Add another sport or activity to his life if you EVER have to convince, cajole, bribe or in any other way "make" him go to training or games. Remember - just because YOU want it doesn't mean HE does. At this age, he will do MANY things if he thinks it pleases YOU. Don't make him your sports avatar.

If you read this and get angry or resentful, do me at least 1 favor - print this out and look at it again when he reaches his mid-teens. You'll get it.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post

If he wants to play, he will. Offer him the opportunities, then back off. Add another sport or activity to his life if you EVER have to convince, cajole, bribe or in any other way "make" him go to training or games. Remember - just because YOU want it doesn't mean HE does. At this age, he will do MANY things if he thinks it pleases YOU. Don't make him your sports avatar.

If you read this and get angry or resentful, do me at least 1 favor - print this out and look at it again when he reaches his mid-teens. You'll get it.
      Very well said!!

Comment

Finally something on TS that makes since. Great post.

Comment

Finally something on TS that makes since.
          yeah and it makes sense too!

Comment

Thanks for the advice, he played flag football for 3 years, he wants to play tackle but is only 50lbs wet, so i told him he needs to gain some more size first.

He decided since he wasn't going to be able to play tackle he rather just do soccer. I totally agree with your post. He wants to get better he always wants to play soccer now since joining WPU. I am just looking for ways to help him get there.

Comment

Originally posted by Soccerlyfe View Post
              Thanks for the advice, he played flag football for 3 years, he wants to play tackle but is only 50lbs wet, so i told him he needs to gain some more size first.

He decided since he wasn't going to be able to play tackle he rather just do soccer. I totally agree with your post. He wants to get better he always wants to play soccer now since joining WPU. I am just looking for ways to help him get there.
              Not good advise, # 1 if he loves the game he will always love it, if he plays different sports he will be no good at any, if he continues the recreational way he will be lucky to play high school, to get a good scholarship he will have to play at the highest level all the time.

Most pros or collegant players were the best atheletes when young, they played at the highest level all the time and had the best coaches teaching them the game.

they spent thousands of ours playing the game in order to become good.
              They had to sacrifice their youth in order to realize a dream that they had from their youth.

They also have to have certain criterias to even get were they want to get.
              like being athletic, discipline, self motivated, the parent has nothing to do with their dream, but at the same time they need their support, every coach will tell you their philosophy, but in reality is a series of events , hard work and talent!!! believe me talent is hard to find.. so as the years go by make sure that you support his dream at the end of all, you would have spent quality time with your son and that is the prize.....

Comment

Not good advise, # 1 if he loves the game he will always love it, if he plays different sports he will be no good at any, if he continues the recreational way he will be lucky to play high school, to get a good scholarship he will have to play at the highest level all the time.

Most pros or collegant players were the best atheletes when young, they played at the highest level all the time and had the best coaches teaching them the game.

they spent thousands of ours playing the game in order to become good.
                They had to sacrifice their youth in order to realize a dream that they had from their youth.

They also have to have certain criterias to even get were they want to get.
                like being athletic, discipline, self motivated, the parent has nothing to do with their dream, but at the same time they need their support, every coach will tell you their philosophy, but in reality is a series of events , hard work and talent!!! believe me talent is hard to find.. so as the years go by make sure that you support his dream at the end of all, you would have spent quality time with your son and that is the prize.....
                What a load of crap!!! Less than 1% of kids will even play college. Let them be kids and play everything. Ruud Van Nistelroy started playing soccer as a teen. Whoever just wrote the last post will be resented by his kid. True athletes can play different sports. Look at Bo Jackson and Deion Sanders. Even John Macenroe played high school soccer. Not that anyone on this board knows who any of those people are.

Comment

Maybe on your team

What a load of crap!!! Less than 1% of kids will even play college. Let them be kids and play everything. Ruud Van Nistelroy started playing soccer as a teen. Whoever just wrote the last post will be resented by his kid. True athletes can play different sports. Look at Bo Jackson and Deion Sanders. Even John Macenroe played high school soccer. Not that anyone on this board knows who any of those people are.
                  will less than 1% play college ball. That is a horrible stat to use. Why not try to change the stats by better training.

Comment

Bo Jackson Football and baseball
                    Deion Sanders Football Baseball
                    John Mcenroe Tennis and now i learned high school soccer

Comment

will less than 1% play college ball. That is a horrible stat to use. Why not try to change the stats by better training.
                      Let's see, we can't increase the number of players in college because there are a fixed number of colleges and a limited roster size. So the only way to increase the percentage of youth players who play in college is to reduce the number of youth players. Is this what you propose? Better training can improve the quality of soccer but not the number that can play in college.

Comment

OH man, oh man, I don't know who you are but Bravo, bravo. you are so right. it happend with my older son, he played 3 v3 for so many years we won like 4 national championships and I was the sh.....t back then. I push him so much that when his balls drop to the final destination he told me on my face that he did not want to play any more, he was doing it because I was happy, and he wanted to see me happy. Parents be happy with your kids even if they dont want to be the next Messi.

Comment

most of the best athletes in every sport played multiple sports growing up. it's the equivalent of what we call cross training today. playing different sports builds different skill sets which will only help. kids will determine what they like best and there's certainly nothing wrong with a young soccer player trying basketball, finding out they have some ability and goin in that direction. there are prodigies in every sport that started with one sport and never did anything else but it's highly unlikely most of us have one of those living in our house!

Comment

most of the best athletes in every sport played multiple sports growing up. it's the equivalent of what we call cross training today. playing different sports builds different skill sets which will only help. kids will determine what they like best and there's certainly nothing wrong with a young soccer player trying basketball, finding out they have some ability and goin in that direction. there are prodigies in every sport that started with one sport and never did anything else but it's highly unlikely most of us have one of those living in our house!
                            For that 1st guy that poasted, none off us are right do the best you can and time will tell, no one here knows what there talking about because if they did they would not be waisting there time in this thread.

Good luck my friend.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                            Auto-Saved
                            x
                            Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                            x
                            Working...
                            X