Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

International players on D1 rosters

Wonder what the effect, if any, of COVID on them. I think a couple of things: men's soccer scholarships are likely to be cut, given the belt tightening schools are already going through. Also, getting a visa and traveling may be difficult this year. But any actual effect on rosters? Coaches more likely to recruit US players?

Ling term maybe, short term probably not. Any scholarship with a NLI can't be rescinded. I think schools are hesitant to make knee jerk decisions on things that will change the product they offer. Behind the scenes administrative staff is being cut and pay either frozen or even cut. Those are immediate fixes.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      Ling term maybe, short term probably not. Any scholarship with a NLI can't be rescinded. I think schools are hesitant to make knee jerk decisions on things that will change the product they offer. Behind the scenes administrative staff is being cut and pay either frozen or even cut. Those are immediate fixes.
      Scholarships are year to year.

Comment

Will have a short term impact, as it will on every player looking to be recruited, but won't be long lasting....unless schools get rid of their program

Comment

Will have a short term impact, as it will on every player looking to be recruited, but won't be long lasting....unless schools get rid of their program
          agreed.

Comment

Scholarships are year to year.
            Yes which is why the ones signed pre covid will be fine. Moving forward perhaps not, although telling existing athletes "oops, your last two years won't be covered" isn't a good look. When U Cinn announced they were dropping their men's team the press release did say they would honor the athletic scholarships granted.

As part of a long term general athletics overhaul, they could start cutting scholarships for 2021 recruits/future recruits. Many 21's had verbals already but that's non biding. Obviously program elimination is an issue as well but I think soccer teams should be ok at most schools. Swimming., tennis, golf? Not so much.

Comment

I wonder about some international players ability to get visas/travel also (just for the upcoming year). If soccer is played, that might make some rosters small.

Comment

I wonder about some international players ability to get visas/travel also (just for the upcoming year). If soccer is played, that might make some rosters small.
                Until they open up the skies internationally, it’s a moot point

Comment

Until they open up the skies internationally, it’s a moot point
                  Flights are still happening, just less of them. Nonessential travel to the US is being limited but students and many other types of travelers are still allowed to come here
                  https://mx.usembassy.gov/travel-rest...ns-fact-sheet/

Comment

As long as you maintain your full time student status your visa is good. Incoming international freshmen may not have had their application paperwork completed before embassies started to shut down https://www.internationalstudent.com...-student-visa/

Comment

More impact on the men’s side than women’s both in number of players and where they are coming from. Women get a lot of Canadians so air travel isn’t as much an issue. Most schools that do a lot of foreign recruiting have lawyers with deep relationships with CIS so getting visas shouldn’t be too big of a problem for them.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                      Auto-Saved
                      x
                      Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                      x
                      Working...
                      X