Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NWSL Thorns

Maybe not the case in the Pacific NW but can the NWSL survive this Covid Shutdown? Some teams were already struggling to make ends meet. I see some new teams came on board lately to help save the league but I dont see how anyone is going to want to invest in a team the next few years.

Is there hope?

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Maybe not the case in the Pacific NW but can the NWSL survive this Covid Shutdown? Some teams were already struggling to make ends meet. I see some new teams came on board lately to help save the league but I dont see how anyone is going to want to invest in a team the next few years.

Is there hope?
    Now that the USWNT has had most of the wind taken out of its case (and is reportedly going to settle), one of the biggest threats to NWSL appears to be going away. US Soccer has been supporting the league for a while, and if they had to pay a large judgment to the WNT, they might have pulled the plug.

Beyond that, NWSL is much like any other soccer league. Revenue isn't coming in, but a lot of the expenses have also vanished. Players aren't being paid to not play.

I'd be just as worried about D1 sports, actually. It's hard to say what will happen, but what if they have to cancel college football? The NCAA is committed to playing players scholarships, but most college athletic programs are dependent on gate revenue, and can't survive on play-behind-closed-doors. Even with the limited "opening up" we're starting to see in some places, are we ready to pack 60,000 fans into a football stadium? And if college football shuts down, what happens to all the rest of the college sports that the football team pays the bills for?

Comment

Now that the USWNT has had most of the wind taken out of its case (and is reportedly going to settle), one of the biggest threats to NWSL appears to be going away. US Soccer has been supporting the league for a while, and if they had to pay a large judgment to the WNT, they might have pulled the plug.

Beyond that, NWSL is much like any other soccer league. Revenue isn't coming in, but a lot of the expenses have also vanished. Players aren't being paid to not play.

I'd be just as worried about D1 sports, actually. It's hard to say what will happen, but what if they have to cancel college football? The NCAA is committed to playing players scholarships, but most college athletic programs are dependent on gate revenue, and can't survive on play-behind-closed-doors. Even with the limited "opening up" we're starting to see in some places, are we ready to pack 60,000 fans into a football stadium? And if college football shuts down, what happens to all the rest of the college sports that the football team pays the bills for?

Why would they settle? They negotiated this their contract.

Comment

Why would they settle? They negotiated this their contract.
        Why is any lawsuit settled? Lawyers are expensive, and peace is cheaper than war. Plus both sides get to declare victory and save face.

Comment

Why is any lawsuit settled? Lawyers are expensive, and peace is cheaper than war. Plus both sides get to declare victory and save face.
          Maybe a couple of new kits every other year free of charge.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
          Auto-Saved
          x
          Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
          x
          Working...
          X