Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ouch!

Some soccer blog ranks the MLS academies: https://chasingacup.com/2020-ranking...ademies-23-11/

Numbers 20-23 (the bottom four slots) are all current or recent expansion teams. And coming it at number 19:

Portland has taken the prize for the worst Major League Soccer academy. The only teams ranked lower than them are there because they are so young that you can’t actually rank them fairly. Portland has literally done nothing with their academy since they became a team in 2011. Their best academy product is Marco Farfan… yes, I know, that’s depressing to think about.
    There are no excuses for their complete lack of success as other teams in smaller markets have managed to develop their own prospects. Portland had a gem in Rubio Rubin who they couldn’t even convince to join their academy as he elected to play for Westside Metros instead. They destroyed the career of Adrian Villegas as well who was a pretty promising midfielder. The only player in their academy with a future in professional soccer is Masango Akale, younger brother of former u16 youth national team standout Mukwelle Akale. They are without a doubt, the worst Major League Soccer academy.

I love how they trash the Timbers for their previous missteps and give kudos to Sunderland in the same article like they forgot this was sunderland’s academy for almost 4 years.

Hilarious

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      I love how they trash the Timbers for their previous missteps and give kudos to Sunderland in the same article like they forgot this was sunderland’s academy for almost 4 years.

Hilarious
      I did notice that.

The article does make good points, but also looks and reads like clickbait.

They also miss a few details--Rubin was at IMG for much of his youth career, and came back to Westside for his senior season. At that time, IMG was clearly a more desirable option than the fledgling Timbers Academy.

And I wonder about Villegas--he went, in the span of a year or two, from one of the last players cut for the U17 World Cup, to someone now playing college ball at Southern Oregon. The article blames the Timbers for this--but I'm curious: what happened? An early bloomer who hit a plateau in his development? Did the TA do something that damaged his career, or did he simply fall down the depth chart and was eventually told that he wasn't going to be a pro?

Comment

To be fair, it is true. Look at the coaching staff. Look at how it has been run. Look at the whole Timbers alliance sham. The whole thing has always been a racket run by the Timbers. No vision, no quality, no care, just greed.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
          To be fair, it is true. Look at the coaching staff. Look at how it has been run. Look at the whole Timbers alliance sham. The whole thing has always been a racket run by the Timbers. No vision, no quality, no care, just greed.
          What greed? They don’t charge for it, they are actually losing money on it.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
          Auto-Saved
          x
          Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
          x
          Working...
          X