Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    My kid is at a HS that made the state finals and I can tell you that roster has plenty of kids that got a roster spot based on factors outside of their soccer skills. Now the only time those players see the field is garbage time. One is a child of another coach at the school. One is sibling of former good player, many seniors who hung around all 4 years and coach would not cut them. So it happens at top schools too. Most rosters can handle a little bit of dead weight but it can get out of hand. You can get to the point of having too much dead weight on the roster to place younger more deserving players. That is when the problems begin.
    So you are just looking for your underclassman to be a hanger that they stick a jersey on instead of an upperclassman- roster spots are for parents to brag PT is for players

You want the secret to putting underclassman on Varsity- they need to be good enough to actually get on the field - if they can’t, why would a coach cut an upperclassman for them?
    Easy choice

Comment

So you are just looking for your underclassman to be a hanger that they stick a jersey on instead of an upperclassman- roster spots are for parents to brag PT is for players

You want the secret to putting underclassman on Varsity- they need to be good enough to actually get on the field - if they can’t, why would a coach cut an upperclassman for them?
      Easy choice
      To get them some experience now, for the future of the program? Put another way, if your coach kept upperclassmen who are not going to play appreciable minutes, why wouldn't he get a look at underclassmen and get them some varsity experience for their future seasons .... for their own good and the good of the team?! The choice between a close upperclassman and underclassman is crystal clear for me .... choose the one with less experience and more potential upside in the long run.

Comment

To get them some experience now, for the future of the program? Put another way, if your coach kept upperclassmen who are not going to play appreciable minutes, why wouldn't he get a look at underclassmen and get them some varsity experience for their future seasons .... for their own good and the good of the team?! The choice between a close upperclassman and underclassman is crystal clear for me .... choose the one with less experience and more potential upside in the long run.
        if they are even you keep both
        obviously they aren't - if he kept the upper she is better plain and simple
        the coach has seen them all, don't kid yourself- maybe Mia just isn't what you think yet

Comment

so you want the coach to cut a player who has devoted 4 years to his program for your kid to get experience?
          be interesting to see if you feel the same way 2 years from now

Comment

My kid is at a HS that made the state finals and I can tell you that roster has plenty of kids that got a roster spot based on factors outside of their soccer skills. Now the only time those players see the field is garbage time. One is a child of another coach at the school. One is sibling of former good player, many seniors who hung around all 4 years and coach would not cut them. So it happens at top schools too. Most rosters can handle a little bit of dead weight but it can get out of hand. You can get to the point of having too much dead weight on the roster to place younger more deserving players. That is when the problems begin.
            As long as the coach is still only playing the best players it can work fine. It's when parents start bitching that their supposed varsity player isn't getting any PT it becomes an issue. Parents often can't deal with the reality that their kid is a bench warmer. Coaches can eliminate a lot of issues but sticking to the rule that PT is earned and do it in a readily apparent manner can cut the BS. Once there's a hint of politics or favoritism going on the knives come out.

Comment

As long as the coach is still only playing the best players it can work fine. It's when parents start bitching that their supposed varsity player isn't getting any PT it becomes an issue. Parents often can't deal with the reality that their kid is a bench warmer. Coaches can eliminate a lot of issues but sticking to the rule that PT is earned and do it in a readily apparent manner can cut the BS. Once there's a hint of politics or favoritism going on the knives come out.
              Everyone's favorite bogeyman on here Jack N at STJ is the most ruthless MFer in the biz. Seniors even sit on the bench on senior night lol.

Comment

Everyone's favorite bogeyman on here Jack N at STJ is the most ruthless MFer in the biz. Seniors even sit on the bench on senior night lol.
                but he wont cut a kid who wants to play and they all know where they stand

Comment

Yeah, sorry if it was unclear, I find it refreshing frankly that he's so upfront about it. The world's changing, though. Every kid needs a participation trophy now and parents are helicoptering around.

Comment

Doesn't have to cut. Kids that want to play, but can't just leave. Like last year.

Comment

so you want the coach to cut a player who has devoted 4 years to his program for your kid to get experience?
                      Yes I do! That is a coach I would support.
                      Best players should play. Period.

Comment

Yes I do! That is a coach I would support.
                        Best players should play. Period.
                        We were talking about roster spots- nothing to say best aren’t playing already
                        My guess is if your kid got cut you might take it harder than her
                        Be careful what you wish for

Comment

If your kid isn't earning a starting job as an upper classman don't expect them to ever play. Seriously you people who dial in for 2 months and bark all around. Your kid doesn't play. Now sit down

Comment

If your kid isn't earning a starting job as an upper classman don't expect them to ever play. Seriously you people who dial in for 2 months and bark all around. Your kid doesn't play. Now sit down
                            Some upperclassmen are happy with a few minutes in exchange for being part of the team and being with friends they've had forever. Some will drop out by junior year because they realize they're not going to play much and would rather do other things. Personally I prefer that kids be given a chance to stay involved in something and be active, assuming their parents aren't a pain about PT and the coach isn't a wuss. Usually by mid HS most parents have concluded where their kid fits. Often it's the parents of those who do play that are a bigger hassle. They think their kid is way better than they are or their kid should be in a certain position or can't see their kid had a serious attitude problem.

Comment

You can have 1 or 2 seniors just hanging on for a roster spot. I am all for giving a kid a chance. You however can’t have 8 like this. It is too many roster spots. You need those for freshmen sophomores who will be starting in a year or too. It can be a difficult balancing job. You can’t carry too much dead weight

Comment

You can have 1 or 2 seniors just hanging on for a roster spot. I am all for giving a kid a chance. You however can’t have 8 like this. It is too many roster spots. You need those for freshmen sophomores who will be starting in a year or too. It can be a difficult balancing job. You can’t carry too much dead weight
                                I posted above - by senior year I think most times you usually are down to just a few. Even if it's a few more it can be managed with clear cut expectations from the coach and families being able to accept it. If you or your player can't handle being a practice cone it's time to let it go and move on.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X