Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Just fix it now. The waiting only creates anxiety for the kids and serves no purpose. Kids can always play up so in actuality, it’s almost like grandfathering those kids in. No sense in waiting to fix a broken system
    True! Hadn’t thought of that but you’re right. Going to a grade based system would allow all current players or even full teams to stay where they are if wanted. Everyone would be pushed back to the younger grade and a player or team can always play up. Going to birth year was extra disruptive because kids were pushed to the older age group and aren’t allowed to play down.

Comment

I live I this state. My kids did not start school here so I have two potential trapper 8th graders. Why are you so against it? Help me to understand.
      I'll tell you why their so against it. Because if the age change happens, strong players will be moved down an age bracket knocking the weakest players off the top teams. Everyone only cares about their own personal situation. So in general, 1/3 will be for the change and 2/3 will be against it. Unfortunately, the age brackets needs to be fixed because of injustices to some of the kids. So hopefully those running USSF can see through all of the smoke and get to the fire.

Comment

I'll tell you why their so against it. Because if the age change happens, strong players will be moved down an age bracket knocking the weakest players off the top teams. Everyone only cares about their own personal situation. So in general, 1/3 will be for the change and 2/3 will be against it. Unfortunately, the age brackets needs to be fixed because of injustices to some of the kids. So hopefully those running USSF can see through all of the smoke and get to the fire.
        i don't really understand this logic.

under birth year, the later month b-days are "disadvantaged" b/c they are the youngest.

but when we switch to school year calendar, somehow those kids will suddenly be the strongest? sure, they'll be marginally older, but i really can't see that as a reason people get bent out of shape.

mostly people will be against because it's yet another breakup of teams that these kids just went thru only a few years ago.

Comment

Bingo!

I'm for the change because my son was born in November could go from a good U14 player next season to an elite U13 player while getting to play with a larger percentage of the kids in his social circles. I honestly don't care about anything else related to this subject and neither does anyone else (regardless of the side you're on).

Comment

I don't think it's 2/3 against as there's plenty if kids in the middle both age and talent wise. It certainly would have more support than there was for calendar year which didn't make sense for many regardless of when their kids were born

Comment

I disagree. If they're doing it the following year and tell people well in advance, it gives them more time to digest and plan. Outside the limited group of industry insiders and readers of soccer blogs, most are completely unaware it is being considered. If they had approved it now for this fall, it would be much more of a bombshell to consumers. Even for clubs it would be somewhat of a scramble with tryouts and planning.

It's also possible they're trying to figure out a graduated plan that lessens the impact. As long as it happens in the next 1-2 years it's good.
              Plan?! What is to plan? Whatever age group your kid fits into is the one you tryout for .... its really not that hard.

Comment

Plan?! What is to plan? Whatever age group your kid fits into is the one you tryout for .... its really not that hard.
                For clubs or leagues to plan numbnuts

Comment

For clubs or leagues to plan numbnuts
                  Again, what’s for a club to plan? First, if a club wanted to, they could keep teams the same and just play up an age group. Is it about winning, or development? Second, teams should never be so set, that a club has that much planning if a change comes about.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                  Auto-Saved
                  x
                  Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                  x
                  Working...
                  X