X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

trump

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    I did it for years, and got zippo. At first it wasn't too taxing, but as the years progressed the workload increased. Part of it was fun; I liked the coach a lot, so was happy to help out and learned a lot about club soccer in the process. It definitely became very time-consuming as the team's schedule and travel increased and some of the parents were a pain (read and answer emails people!!). Ultimately I decided I was nuts to put up with some of the parent demands and passed the baton to someone else. I only know of one manager who was compensated, after many years of doing it for nothing for two teams - and I don't think she got much!
    A zippo?! Those are nice lighters!

Comment

A zippo?! Those are nice lighters!
      That's an issue and clubs should look at better discounts as most get zip and do a tremendous amount of work, deal with parents who think their kid is playing on the national team. The more turn over you have with team mangers the more disorganized the teams become. Coaches usually filter things down and pile the work up. The clubs should really look into better incentives etc

Comment

I did it for many years, travel and then two clubs. One club was a ton of work because I did all the scheduling, arranging hotel rooms for tournaments, team dinners, everything. I volunteered because no one else would do it. The coach was a fantastic coach and very nice guy but organizationally clueless. It was a good amount of work but we had our fee reduced by half. The coach was super appreciative but some of the parents were total diks, thought I was kissing the coach's behind when I really hardly talked to the guy and it was all business. Yes my kid played all the time but he was also one of the top two players on the team.

At the next club ( a move up from #1) my only job was to send an occasional team email and arrange team activities with no discount. The club had a staff person who did all the scheduling, hotels, uniforms etc. I absolutely preferred the later - not because there was basically no work but because no parent was under pressure by parents, no whisper campaigns or politics and overall is much more professional. I think when you rely heavily on parents it is easy for a parent manager to manipulate, play politics and cause trouble.

Comment

I did it for many years, travel and then two clubs. One club was a ton of work because I did all the scheduling, arranging hotel rooms for tournaments, team dinners, everything. I volunteered because no one else would do it. The coach was a fantastic coach and very nice guy but organizationally clueless. It was a good amount of work but we had our fee reduced by half. The coach was super appreciative but some of the parents were total diks, thought I was kissing the coach's behind when I really hardly talked to the guy and it was all business. Yes my kid played all the time but he was also one of the top two players on the team.

At the next club ( a move up from #1) my only job was to send an occasional team email and arrange team activities with no discount. The club had a staff person who did all the scheduling, hotels, uniforms etc. I absolutely preferred the later - not because there was basically no work but because no parent was under pressure by parents, no whisper campaigns or politics and overall is much more professional. I think when you rely heavily on parents it is easy for a parent manager to manipulate, play politics and cause trouble.
          As the coach, I always gave a small gift to my team managers for the holidays, exclusive of any breaks by the club

Comment

My wife and I are handling it this year and honestly, it's virtually no work. Maybe we are doing it wrong....

We've been asked to do one thing so far, which is to organize one fundraising event. That's it.

I've sent out a couple of communications on our own about weather, travel, hotels, etc. but none of it is expected and none of it was asked of us by our club or coach.

Comment

My experience was much closer to the case in your 1st paragraph, except I wasn't compensated, and I was asked to be manager, but was happy to do it. My work included all team communications by emails or group text at tournaments, hotel arrangements (selection of and managing parents' room requests), team dinners, team camps (all the drama of room assignments), orders for team uniforms, got soccer updates, club website updates, player registration, passcards (ECNL), tryouts, collection of monies for various things. Parents often assumed I had some influence on the coach, but definitely not the case. I wouldn't have attempted any "influence" but also know it wouldn't have been tolerated. I think the latter example you provide would be much more reasonable.

Comment

Bolts gives 0 to their managers

Comment

My experience was much closer to the case in your 1st paragraph, except I wasn't compensated, and I was asked to be manager, but was happy to do it. My work included all team communications by emails or group text at tournaments, hotel arrangements (selection of and managing parents' room requests), team dinners, team camps (all the drama of room assignments), orders for team uniforms, got soccer updates, club website updates, player registration, passcards (ECNL), tryouts, collection of monies for various things. Parents often assumed I had some influence on the coach, but definitely not the case. I wouldn't have attempted any "influence" but also know it wouldn't have been tolerated. I think the latter example you provide would be much more reasonable.
                  Wow, that sounds like a full time job. Most clubs have a paid "club registrar" position to deal with tryouts, registration, pass cards, uniforms, etc., with volunteer team managers sending out communication/game update emails, team hotel arrangements, dinners, organizing coach year end gifts, etc. You were taking on both jobs unpaid. Hope they appreciated it!

Comment

As the coach, I always gave a small gift to my team managers for the holidays, exclusive of any breaks by the club
                    I am sure it is appreciated. Parents rarely acknowledge how tough a job it can be unless they've done it themselves before. I've done it before and am always kind and curtious to the current managers for my kids' teams. Even if a manager gets a bit of a discount it is a good deal of work and definitely a lot of stress. As the manager you want to make sure everything is done correctly. If it isn't it can negatively impact the team.

Comment

My son has played at two well known clubs and neither has used parent managers.

Comment

My son has played at two well known clubs and neither has used parent managers.
                        We've had both and I definitely prefer the clubs that don't have parent managers. More professional, better communication, fewer mistakes, a lot less drama and politics.

Comment

We've had both and I definitely prefer the clubs that don't have parent managers. More professional, better communication, fewer mistakes, a lot less drama and politics.
                          And where is this huge staff of non parent managers coming from? Pretty sure the big 3 on the girls side (NEFC, Stars and SSS) all use parent managers. Ours happens to be awesome!

Comment

And where is this huge staff of non parent managers coming from? Pretty sure the big 3 on the girls side (NEFC, Stars and SSS) all use parent managers. Ours happens to be awesome!
                            The clubs my son play/played for each had one person who was the manager of every team in the club, as well as having other administrative duties.

Comment

Agreed, and that's coming from a parent manager. I have no desire to be a coordinator of kid's activities, dinners, etc. Professional organization and I told coach from Day 1 to let me know if he needs anything, but otherwise I stay the hell out of the way. So far, just one thing and it's not necessarily team-related, it's club-related and the request came from club leadership.

I wouldn't want the coach fluffing it off to the manager...

Comment

The clubs my son play/played for each had one person who was the manager of every team in the club, as well as having other administrative duties.
                                My son plays for a club that does the "club-wide administrator" thing and the communication is awful. They use TeamSnap emails to constantly remind parents that the schedule listed on TeamSnap might not be correct and to constantly check the league website. If, god forbid, you have a question... don't expect a reply to your email.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X