Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Team manager incentives

Just curious about manager incentives that are offered to team managers. Might there be some common perks that are offered from club to club? We assume incentives must be substantial, as it is certainly work that is subbed out to parents & depending on group, the communication & patience might be trying to say the least. Our little star is just starting out, so looking for feedback regarding the younger teams.

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Just curious about manager incentives that are offered to team managers. Might there be some common perks that are offered from club to club? We assume incentives must be substantial, as it is certainly work that is subbed out to parents & depending on group, the communication & patience might be trying to say the least. Our little star is just starting out, so looking for feedback regarding the younger teams.
    I was a manager for a few years and all I got was a lot of work and ton of emails. Occasionally some inside info from the coach. That said, it was beneficial for us ( and others) as the prior manager was an agenda driven buckethead. This was an ECNL club at an older age than it sounds like yours is. I volunteered simply because it was so bad and don't regret it one bit, despite the occasional headaches that comes with it.

Anecdotally, I have heard that some clubs provide discounts to the manager. I think it's entirely dependent on the club.

Comment

If it’s NEFC don’t do it!!!

Comment

If it’s NEFC don’t do it!!!
        Please, NEFC has been fine for me as a manager. Wouldn’t say there is an incentive other than I’m organized and rather easy for me. Toughest at the start of season and travel tournament. Got a GC to We Got Soccer and get to know schedule a little sooner for my OCD planning. Don’t do it if you are disorganized, are slow to respond to emails, and are not detailed oriented. nature.

Comment

I did it for years, and got zippo. At first it wasn't too taxing, but as the years progressed the workload increased. Part of it was fun; I liked the coach a lot, so was happy to help out and learned a lot about club soccer in the process. It definitely became very time-consuming as the team's schedule and travel increased and some of the parents were a pain (read and answer emails people!!). Ultimately I decided I was nuts to put up with some of the parent demands and passed the baton to someone else. I only know of one manager who was compensated, after many years of doing it for nothing for two teams - and I don't think she got much!

Comment

Please, NEFC has been fine for me as a manager. Wouldn’t say there is an incentive other than I’m organized and rather easy for me. Toughest at the start of season and travel tournament. Got a GC to We Got Soccer and get to know schedule a little sooner for my OCD planning. Don’t do it if you are disorganized, are slow to respond to emails, and are not detailed oriented. nature.
            You also have to be the babysitter if the team goes away as all the coach’s (including the director) are out partying all weekend.

Comment

True. Managers have to be super-organized, detail-oriented, and able to monitor and respond to email/texts in quick order. There are a lot of little details to track and remember to follow up on, especially as roster size increases or you start to deal with guest players/passes etc. I would estimate it took me up to 15 hours a week at peak times, but that would be the max, not average. Depends upon expectations and how many emails you have to write to ask the same question ;)

Comment

At a club that charges 2000 + per year, it is typical for managers to get a discount on tuition, around $500 off. Some people will manage more than one team, to get more of a discount. There are also some other perks, such as kids getting more playing time and attention from the coach. To me, it would be a lot of aggravation, and I personally could not be bothered or would have the extra time to devote to kids affairs. To each his own. I appreciate those that put in the extra time to keep things organized and parents informed. Not sure why the coaches just do don’t do it themselves for the extra cash, especially if coaching is their only job.

Comment

Op here, you've got to be kidding me! Managers don't get anything substantial to do this work? My thoughts are they deserve breaks on extra training sessions or even tuition. Not anything overboard, but something. And I'm not interested in volunteering, even if perks were included. I was just curious & truthfully certain that there was some type of incentive. Our parent group is good, not overly needy. However, it must be common to have some unknowingly selfish ones who make managers work harder than needed.

Comment

Op here, you've got to be kidding me! Managers don't get anything substantial to do this work? My thoughts are they deserve breaks on extra training sessions or even tuition. Not anything overboard, but something. And I'm not interested in volunteering, even if perks were included. I was just curious & truthfully certain that there was some type of incentive. Our parent group is good, not overly needy. However, it must be common to have some unknowingly selfish ones who make managers work harder than needed.
                    Any pay to play club that my kids have played for, has given incentives and extra perks to parent managers. This is a FACT . Whether it is substantial or not, is a personal opinion. To some, money off of tuition , extra attention and being in the know, is worth the extra time put into managing a youth soccer club team. For others, it’s not appealing.

Comment

Any pay to play club that my kids have played for, has given incentives and extra perks to parent managers. This is a FACT . Whether it is substantial or not, is a personal opinion. To some, money off of tuition , extra attention and being in the know, is worth the extra time put into managing a youth soccer club team. For others, it’s not appealing.
                      Glad to hear your club's team managers are compensated. It should be a compensated role. My kid was on the top team and I was not compensated, nor were others at the time, but it's been a few years since I stopped so things could have changed. Not going to identify the club, but it was not a small one. Also, no "extra attention" or extra playing time (another post suggested this) was given to my kid. Most coaches will purposefully choose a parent of one of the top players on the team, as they don't want to put themselves in the awkward position of cutting the manager's kid come tryouts, and would like to keep the same manager from year to year.

Comment

Glad to hear your club's team managers are compensated. It should be a compensated role. My kid was on the top team and I was not compensated, nor were others at the time, but it's been a few years since I stopped so things could have changed. Not going to identify the club, but it was not a small one. Also, no "extra attention" or extra playing time (another post suggested this) was given to my kid. Most coaches will purposefully choose a parent of one of the top players on the team, as they don't want to put themselves in the awkward position of cutting the manager's kid come tryouts, and would like to keep the same manager from year to year.
                        Great thread and I think it's great that all this info gets flushed out.
                        My experience from 8 years in club soccer is that early on (circa 2010), team managers in the club we were with got 50% off the annual fee. Later on, other clubs we joined (bigger clubs), managers got no discount. So I was surprised that anyone did it. Club is a business, so I guess they like the free labor. But I was always appreciative of the team managers, never gave them grief, and treated them well at Xmas and season's end.

Comment

Same here. I’m very surprised of the compensation factor as no manager I ever knew got it. Or if they did it was on the Q-T or hardship. It was all volunteer. Like the poster earlier, I did it because we were entering the recruiting years and the prior manager totally butchered the first couple of tourneys with the pamphlets. To me, the most stressful part was making sure the cards were in order and none were lost (ECNL). LOL

Comment

Great thread and I think it's great that all this info gets flushed out.
                            My experience from 8 years in club soccer is that early on (circa 2010), team managers in the club we were with got 50% off the annual fee. Later on, other clubs we joined (bigger clubs), managers got no discount. So I was surprised that anyone did it. Club is a business, so I guess they like the free labor. But I was always appreciative of the team managers, never gave them grief, and treated them well at Xmas and season's end.
                            Good idea about Xmas gift to manager. We certainly appreciate effort that managers put in. We have had no bad experience with respect to them. Interesting feedback, op

Comment

[QUOTE=Unregistered;2386144]Great thread and I think it's great that all this info gets flushed out.
                              My experience from 8 years in club soccer is that early on (circa 2010), team managers in the club we were with got 50% off the annual fee. Later on, other clubs we joined (bigger clubs), managers got no discount. So I was surprised that anyone did it. Club is a business, so I guess they like the free labor. But I was always appreciative of the team managers, never gave them grief, and treated them well at Xmas and season's end.[/QUOTE

It’s interesting that the bigger, and more “business-like” clubs may actually give less or no compensation to it’s team managers, than the genuine soccer centric clubs that appreciate their members. It kind of says something about the nature of a club, that would not give its managers something for their time. I’m sure there are still some perks to be had, otherwise, who would do it ?

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X