Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    A few years ago NCAA Div III created a template for Div III schools to use for "celebratory signings" Top of the form:
    "I, (first and last name), have been accepted to (name of school), an NCAA Division III institution. In addition to my academic responsibilities, I intend to participate in the sport(s) of (name of sport(s) during the (year) academic year. "

also note a caveat at the end of the form:
    "This form commemorates my choice to attend (name of institution). By signing this form, I embrace the Division III philosophy. I also understand my signature neither obligates me to attend the institution, noted above, and participate in athletics nor does it guarantee me a roster position. "

Who knows which Div III schools use the actual NCAA template, but I would imagine all of them use something similar. NCAA Div III website also warns against using these before a student is officially admitted as the real content of this form is acknowleding the student is admitted.
    Appreciate this, very helpful.
    I am among those that get their panties in a wad. Haven't had my mind changed.
    Celebrate and post away, be proud of your child's accomplishments. Wear the logo, hold a soccer ball, all cool with me. Sit at a table, with pen in hand simulating an NLI signing... you are Posing.

Comment

Appreciate this, very helpful.
      I am among those that get their panties in a wad. Haven't had my mind changed.
      Celebrate and post away, be proud of your child's accomplishments. Wear the logo, hold a soccer ball, all cool with me. Sit at a table, with pen in hand simulating an NLI signing... you are Posing.
      No one thinks a DIII player is signing a NLI. Let them celebrate. Who cares. The powers are the DI kids who aren’t getting athletic money and sign a fake paper. But again, who cares. That doesn’t affect my kids at all.

Comment

In most districts those kids get accolades as well as schools are just as proud, if not more so, about academic achievements. Local papers are always dying for content.
        Then submit it. Don't know why you have such an issue with athletes. They have their process and the accomplishments are celebrated. So what?

Comment

Let them all pose for a picture. Snap it post it done. Good hardworking kids so let them post a pic. Big deal.

Comment

Let them all pose for a picture. Snap it post it done. Good hardworking kids so let them post a pic. Big deal.
            Agreed...let the kids have a brief moment...it's a lot of hard work, stress and commitment to get to that point, regardless of the level or scholarship...people complaining need to relax.

Comment

A few years ago NCAA Div III created a template for Div III schools to use for "celebratory signings" Top of the form:
              "I, (first and last name), have been accepted to (name of school), an NCAA Division III institution. In addition to my academic responsibilities, I intend to participate in the sport(s) of (name of sport(s) during the (year) academic year. "

also note a caveat at the end of the form:
              "This form commemorates my choice to attend (name of institution). By signing this form, I embrace the Division III philosophy. I also understand my signature neither obligates me to attend the institution, noted above, and participate in athletics nor does it guarantee me a roster position. "

Who knows which Div III schools use the actual NCAA template, but I would imagine all of them use something similar. NCAA Div III website also warns against using these before a student is officially admitted as the real content of this form is acknowleding the student is admitted.
              Good information. Thanks.

And perhaps this was fine when the NLI date was in February. But how does it work now? For a school like Pomona, the ED decision date is December 15. Was the student really admitted already? Is that okay?

Comment

IMHO, it is fine to celebrate the decision to attend a particular school for soccer (or other) reasons. However, one should not pretend that one is signing an NLI when one is not actually doing so. If you want to call it a commitment ceremony, fine. Just don't tell me someone is signing an NLI when they are not. I do not want to see D3 kids "signing" a phony NLI. I do not want to see D1 kids pretending to sign an NLI when they are not getting any money. Enough with the BS.

Comment

Most parents and grandparents looking at the schools twitter even understand or care about the difference. That said, I dont think the are any outright lies being posted. Are the schools describing it as something it is not? I dont think the schools have the time,r energy or community interest to have separate events for the different types of college play. They PR person just lumps them all together - it is nothing personal.

Comment

Most parents and grandparents looking at the schools twitter even understand or care about the difference. That said, I dont think the are any outright lies being posted. Are the schools describing it as something it is not? I dont think the schools have the time,r energy or community interest to have separate events for the different types of college play. They PR person just lumps them all together - it is nothing personal.
                    "Me too! Me too! I played and I'm special too!" A D3 athlete or a D1/2 athlete getting no money isn't signing anything. They may be announcing that they're committed, or celebrating that they got admitted to the school of their choice, but there's no reason to sit and get photographed signing a FAKE NLI. Go home and take a picture with mom and dad and grandma with your college sweatshirt on and post it on facebook.

It's an insult to the kids that have the talent and put in the work to get an athletic scholarship that is sealed by the signing of an NLI. If the Williams kid or Babson kid or Colby kid had more talent, or perhaps sacrificed some study time to work harder or seek out a higher level of competition, perhaps they'd be awarded a scholarship. But they didn't, and now they sit at a table next to the kid that has the ability and worked his or her azz off and everyone wants to pretend that they're equal. They are not.

This subject gets me going, as it's a little bit "trophy for all," a little bit of parents needing to show the neighbors that they won the offspring battle, and a sizable rationalization. So many of these parents want it both ways, IMO: they want to claim that they "chose" D3 for academics and have athletics in their proper perspective, while at the same time demanding the photo op that has been earned by the real athletes.

And, to be clear, my kid does NOT have an athletic scholarship. When she was offered the chance to be in a fake signing ceremony, she declined, because she didn't want to insult her best friend who had earned a big scholarship in another sport.

Comment

"Me too! Me too! I played and I'm special too!" A D3 athlete or a D1/2 athlete getting no money isn't signing anything. They may be announcing that they're committed, or celebrating that they got admitted to the school of their choice, but there's no reason to sit and get photographed signing a FAKE NLI. Go home and take a picture with mom and dad and grandma with your college sweatshirt on and post it on facebook.

It's an insult to the kids that have the talent and put in the work to get an athletic scholarship that is sealed by the signing of an NLI. If the Williams kid or Babson kid or Colby kid had more talent, or perhaps sacrificed some study time to work harder or seek out a higher level of competition, perhaps they'd be awarded a scholarship. But they didn't, and now they sit at a table next to the kid that has the ability and worked his or her azz off and everyone wants to pretend that they're equal. They are not.

This subject gets me going, as it's a little bit "trophy for all," a little bit of parents needing to show the neighbors that they won the offspring battle, and a sizable rationalization. So many of these parents want it both ways, IMO: they want to claim that they "chose" D3 for academics and have athletics in their proper perspective, while at the same time demanding the photo op that has been earned by the real athletes.

And, to be clear, my kid does NOT have an athletic scholarship. When she was offered the chance to be in a fake signing ceremony, she declined, because she didn't want to insult her best friend who had earned a big scholarship in another sport.
                      Ask other kids - they don't give a flying fu ck. They're happy for their friends and don't feel slighted. It's adults like you who have the panty bunching issue.

D1 parent

Comment

Ask other kids - they don't give a flying fu ck. They're happy for their friends and don't feel slighted. It's adults like you who have the panty bunching issue.

D1 parent
                        The complainers are the d3 crowd. Everyone makes their own decisions and those that do get money to play a sport should get their accolades to sign. Kudos to the d3 commit who declined

Comment

D1 parent
                          You're right. Lots of D1 kids don't care. But some do, and some of their parents do too. I know a couple of kids at our school who were bugged by a kid that never played, showed no commitment to their team, yet wormed her way into a signing day event because she was going to try out for a mid-level D3 program. All of a sudden she was claiming to be a "college athlete." Pictures, everyone! Get the facebook posts up!

Comment

The complainers are the d3 crowd. Everyone makes their own decisions and those that do get money to play a sport should get their accolades to sign. Kudos to the d3 commit who declined
                            At our school, on NLI day, the kids who were Ivy athletic commits got together to take a group picture with their school gear on. No fake letter signing ceremony, but the letters on the sweatshirts said plenty. I don't think they let the NESCAC kids into the photo, ha ha.

Comment

Good information. Thanks.

And perhaps this was fine when the NLI date was in February. But how does it work now? For a school like Pomona, the ED decision date is December 15. Was the student really admitted already? Is that okay?
                              Pomona is D3, so what is the concern? Ivys don’t give athletic money. No NLI concerns. Stanford has plenty of signings in many sports yesterday, academics don’t get much better than that.

Comment

You all are ridiculous. This is college not a Nobel peace prize. Twelve people look at the picture whether it is the science fair or and NLI. Relax.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X