Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    I think those numbers would change based on the talent of the player.
    Don't worry, there aren't many top D1 talents in the area going to Stamford. Most kids, including many athletes, will target within a reasonable radius from home. Look at typical rosters of schools your player can realistically play for. Chances are a large percentage are from a 5 hour drive or less (maybe bigger out west).

Comment

Unless Orlando area schools are on her short-list, why waste time on your Disney vacation looking at local schools? You could visit multiple colleges within an hour’s drive in most places in MA.
      and most FL schools are massive with big sports programs and multiple international players. most kids from around here can't even crack a roster down there.

between VT/MA/NH/CT/NY there is every kind of school imaginable to look at and get a sense if you want big, medium or small, rural/suburban/urban. If you start looking early enough you can bang out several on school days off. Don't go during the summer to any school if you can avoid it. It really doesn't give you a feeling for a place

Comment

Ummm....but the poster said he had a trip planned. Still want to hear what schools he picked to visit and why. I think we know what is happening here with phrases like "the whole notion of fit." Really believable that an educated person who claims to have had a full ride for soccer back in the day would be devoting so much time and giving so much credibility to this site in terms of best possible advice available.
        if his kid is a sophomore (what he said) his kid can't do official visits yet. All she can do is reach out coaches, express interesest, send schedules, videos etc. No coach contact until June for a current sophomore beyond generic email camp invites. Nothing stops you from visiting schools you're interested in and doing the general tours.

Also why would any sane poster reveal actual target schools. TS posters will eviscerate all choices, for one reason or another, regardless.

Comment

if his kid is a sophomore (what he said) his kid can't do official visits yet. All she can do is reach out coaches, express interesest, send schedules, videos etc. No coach contact until June for a current sophomore beyond generic email camp invites. Nothing stops you from visiting schools you're interested in and doing the general tours.

Also why would any sane poster reveal actual target schools. TS posters will eviscerate all choices, for one reason or another, regardless.
          You don't read well. I didn't contest the part about not meeting with coaches. The OP said he was not meeting with coaches. I was still interested in what he picked to visit and why. This is all silliness because it is yet another fake narrative from the self-anointed one.

Comment

First off, the recruiting landscape has changed, esp for girls since I went to college. When I was offered full rides, I didn’t step onto the campus of the school I went to until I showed up for pre-season training. I’m taking my kids to Disney World for spring break. We are going to a few schools just to walk around and get a feel for what different types of campuses feel like. We don’t need to talk to coaches, in fact I don’t think it’s allowed for her grade. Even then, our priority is Disney World. I’m also not looking for best possible advice. I’m open to learning about things we should consider that people don’t think about. When I played college ball, it was my ODP coach who helped me and not my club coaches or parents. My parents never had the resources to help me in the ways I can help my kid now. You don’t know what you’re talking about. Your suspicions about everyone else’s experiences that doesn’t line up with your own says more about having a fixed mindset. I just want my kid to be happy.
            Nice try BTNT! You're using your old Duke football experience and don't think that changing it to soccer matters, and then there are the "landscapes" and the tell-tell "doesn't line up." In other words, your typical staples. And now, lol, it's Disney, because you didn't expect anyone to ask about where and why! Notice how much your content has changed already....Spring break to visit schools, and now just in the Disney area where NO ONE goes to college to play soccer from Mass! You are a piece of work, though. Order the pizzas.

Comment

The fact that you're able to acknowledge that your own personal experience is outdated is a great start, in my opinion. It was one of the hardest things for me to get past when my kids were in this process.

It's interesting that you're looking at schools in the Orlando area to start the process. Keep in mind that the vast majority of students go to colleges within a close radius of their homes. I've seen numbers thrown around in the 90+ % within 3 driving hours or within 100 miles, etc. I know that some kids are different, and want to get away from home, but the facts about school proximity choices are worth noting.

For kids from MA, being in FL in March/April ("look, they're wearing shorts to school and there's an outdoor pool near the dorm!") can seem pretty great, especially when compared to a Northeast school where there might still be snow on the ground. Just realize that you're running the risk of your kid eliminating lots of potentially great fits in the Midwest, Northeast, etc. by starting the process in the sunshine state.

I would recommend seeing some Northeast schools during soccer trips or taking a day or two to visit various types of schools closer to home.
              BTNT responding to himself. Classic.

Comment

Nice try BTNT! You're using your old Duke football experience and don't think that changing it to soccer matters, and then there are the "landscapes" and the tell-tell "doesn't line up." In other words, your typical staples. And now, lol, it's Disney, because you didn't expect anyone to ask about where and why! Notice how much your content has changed already....Spring break to visit schools, and now just in the Disney area where NO ONE goes to college to play soccer from Mass! You are a piece of work, though. Order the pizzas.
                Yep, Paul doing his thing yet again. Old. Sad. Funny. Sad. Funny. Funny and sad.

Comment

Why don't you just own that you are so desperate to train others and to spread your gospel? No need to twist yourself into knots making up personas and false stories. Just tell us what you want to tell us. Do your own daily blog right on the site, and then everyone can learn from you in a more direct, honest way.

Comment

Here's BTDT from 8-7-13.....

This is something that always struck me as odd. Why does everyone post anonymously now? It is not like a poster can't hide their identity even with screen name. All you do is change to a new one when you get tired of one. That sort of thing has been going on for years on forums and used to be quite common on the old Touchline the was the precursor of TS. In fact many of the anonymous posters here today got heir start on that forum and used many different profiles simultaneously there so it is hardly an unheard of practice.

Comment

You guys are so ridiculous. We are literally going to Disney World for a family vacation and decided to just visit some schools to get my kid thinking about their future. We have visited local schools too. Our kid doesn't have a hard list of schools yet. But one thing that has come up in our conversations is, "it would be nice to go to school where it's sunny and warm." All we did is say, "hey, why don't we just check out some campuses." And that's why we are visiting. No agenda other then to just take a look. It's not a waste of time for us. It doesn't cost us anything because we're already down there. Man, you guys always try to pigeon hole other people's motives, when truthfully you don't have a clue about what other people are doing and why. Hopefully our visit will help with clarity in figuring out what type of college experience our kid wants. If our kid decides they really like the climate and vibe of a warm weather state then that helps us tremendously with our school search. And if they decided it's, meh.. then that also helps with the search. Maybe our approach is different than most people on this board but since my kid is never going pro, doesn't care if their college teams is in the running for a national championship, and definitely doesn't see themselves having to go to a top 20 school, we are encouraging them to let their curiosity lead them. My hope in this process is they learn for themselves (and not from me), what they value in their college experience.

Comment

You guys are so ridiculous. We are literally going to Disney World for a family vacation and decided to just visit some schools to get my kid thinking about their future. We have visited local schools too. Our kid doesn't have a hard list of schools yet. But one thing that has come up in our conversations is, "it would be nice to go to school where it's sunny and warm." All we did is say, "hey, why don't we just check out some campuses." And that's why we are visiting. No agenda other then to just take a look. It's not a waste of time for us. It doesn't cost us anything because we're already down there. Man, you guys always try to pigeon hole other people's motives, when truthfully you don't have a clue about what other people are doing and why. Hopefully our visit will help with clarity in figuring out what type of college experience our kid wants. If our kid decides they really like the climate and vibe of a warm weather state then that helps us tremendously with our school search. And if they decided it's, meh.. then that also helps with the search. Maybe our approach is different than most people on this board but since my kid is never going pro, doesn't care if their college teams is in the running for a national championship, and definitely doesn't see themselves having to go to a top 20 school, we are encouraging them to let their curiosity lead them. My hope in this process is they learn for themselves (and not from me), what they value in their college experience.
                        Then get out of here and let your kid take the lead as you suggested. And btw, what kid in the middle of winter isn't going to say she likes warm weather? Are you kidding me? And now, wow, you're here on the site all the time. Welcome newbie, lol!

Comment

Things to consider:
                          Campus Culture - Some schools (and their athletic teams) are known for their party culture. This could be a pro or con depending on the student.

Opportunities within the major - It’s difficult to get research opportunities at larger schools because they tend to be very competitive. There may be more opportunities at smaller schools that are less prestigious. Same goes for internships. If you can meet the academic advisor within your major you’ll learn a ton more than just browsing their website.

Student Support Services - Some schools are better than others. Understanding what’s available to athletes and how professors treat athletes is important. Big time sports programs are generally very supportive. Other schools, not at all.

Alumni Network - Self explanatory.

Greek Life - Some schools allow athletes to join Greek houses. If this is something you’re interested in you should ask the coaches. Some allow, some don’t.

Food- Most, of not all freshmen athletes live on campus. Research the dining halls and available food options. Some places the food is terrible.

Outside interests- if a student has outdoor interests or hobbies, research clubs and local opportunities that will meet their need.

Transportation- What types of transportation is nearby? Is this public transit good? How far from the airport is the school? How many stops (flights) does it take to get home. How expensive are the flights?

Course offerings - look up a schools course catalog to get a better idea of what’s offered.

Ask an alumni - if possible ask a couple recent alumni about their experiences with the school.

Comment

BTNT responding to himself. Classic.
                            Not him. That’s 2x in 24 hours that I’ve been accused of being him. Could it be that after all these threads I’ve started to think like him or does your “poster identification “ system really suck? I am gaining some weight since the holidays and I do like pizza....Oh No!!!

Comment

Not him. That’s 2x in 24 hours that I’ve been accused of being him. Could it be that after all these threads I’ve started to think like him or does your “poster identification “ system really suck? I am gaining some weight since the holidays and I do like pizza....Oh No!!!
                              My apologies.

Comment

Things to consider:
                                Campus Culture - Some schools (and their athletic teams) are known for their party culture. This could be a pro or con depending on the student.

Opportunities within the major - It’s difficult to get research opportunities at larger schools because they tend to be very competitive. There may be more opportunities at smaller schools that are less prestigious. Same goes for internships. If you can meet the academic advisor within your major you’ll learn a ton more than just browsing their website.

Student Support Services - Some schools are better than others. Understanding what’s available to athletes and how professors treat athletes is important. Big time sports programs are generally very supportive. Other schools, not at all.

Alumni Network - Self explanatory.

Greek Life - Some schools allow athletes to join Greek houses. If this is something you’re interested in you should ask the coaches. Some allow, some don’t.

Food- Most, of not all freshmen athletes live on campus. Research the dining halls and available food options. Some places the food is terrible.

Outside interests- if a student has outdoor interests or hobbies, research clubs and local opportunities that will meet their need.

Transportation- What types of transportation is nearby? Is this public transit good? How far from the airport is the school? How many stops (flights) does it take to get home. How expensive are the flights?

Course offerings - look up a schools course catalog to get a better idea of what’s offered.

Ask an alumni - if possible ask a couple recent alumni about their experiences with the school.
                                In other words, do all the things all kids should do picking a college, athlete or not.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X