Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Bingo. Any kids taking notes for the athletes too? Paid non-athletes. That is out there as well. When kids are traveling or at team hotel before games?
    Friend's kid earned beer money and then some writing papers for all his hockey teammates, who, needless to say, weren't all the brightest bulbs.

Comment

Are D1 athletes able to study nursing, pharmacy, dentistry, pre-med, computer science, etc? Are there some majors that are super difficult to do if you are a D1 athlete? Also, what about honors programs? Are D1 athletes able to be in college honors colleges?
      ------------------------------------------------------------------

My wife and I never baby talk to our kids. We use full sentences and a wide vocabulary including complex words.

My son is 3 and can carry a full conversation. Adults at family gatherings are shocked at his social aptitude. My daughter isn’t even 2 and she uses 4-syllable words.

Comment

Friend's kid earned beer money and then some writing papers for all his hockey teammates, who, needless to say, weren't all the brightest bulbs.
        Sure. And there are some schools that pay kids to take notes when teams are not available. Not doing their assignments. That is different. I am saying taking class notes that get photo copied as a study guide; like in hs when you are out sick.

Comment

------------------------------------------------------------------

My wife and I never baby talk to our kids. We use full sentences and a wide vocabulary including complex words.

My son is 3 and can carry a full conversation. Adults at family gatherings are shocked at his social aptitude. My daughter isn’t even 2 and she uses 4-syllable words.
          Do you like to recycle your ramblings? I have seen this post multiple times. Surely your kids have aged out by now.

Comment

In the end, college shouldn't be easy. A kid can "coast" through and make it easy but if they're applying themselves and working hard, it's necessarily shouldn't be easy.

My kids always did better when they were busy and had more going on. They had to put the time in to be on. One of my kids now in school is playing soccer, currently has conditioning and is playing futsal with the team twice a week in preparation for the spring season, is involved in a mini "internship" that takes about 5-10 hours per week, and still stays up with her studies. Whenever I talk to her I jokingly ask her if she's making time to eat and for herself socially. She assures me that she is and is a big girl so I don't pry. She says that being busy is good for her and actually helps her in the classroom.

It seems that most kids today have more discipline than I did when I was in school. They're more involved and still are doing great academically.
            Is your kid playing top D1? Mid D1? Low D1? D2? D3?

Comment

Do you like to recycle your ramblings? I have seen this post multiple times. Surely your kids have aged out by now.

My son is 3 and can carry a full conversation. Adults at family gatherings are shocked at his social aptitude. My daughter isn’t even 2 and she uses 4-syllable words

Comment

My son is 3 and can carry a full conversation. Adults at family gatherings are shocked at his social aptitude. My daughter isn’t even 2 and she uses 4-syllable words

Comment

Are D1 athletes able to study nursing, pharmacy, dentistry, pre-med, computer science, etc? Are there some majors that are super difficult to do if you are a D1 athlete? Also, what about honors programs? Are D1 athletes able to be in college honors colleges?
                  I thought all D1 athletes were “one and done”?
                  Isn’t that the sole reason they play?

Comment

D1 vs D3 is a false narrative in terms of pursuing any particular major/career path. Yes, there are aspects of the D1 experience that can make a tougher major more difficult, but there are plenty of D1 kids who can succeed academically in competitive academic areas. It's not like D3 kids pick the toughest majors in higher percentages. And a pre-med path is difficult regardless of the division level. Even among the top tier D3 rosters rarely will more than 1 or 2 be on a pre med track....which is no different than school populations at large. There is no reason a kid who can really play at a top tier D1 shouldn't do so.

-- Perspective
                    Welcome home.
                    You’ve been missed.

Comment

D1 is a business. The college pays the athlete (with scholarship money and all the costs of running a soccer program. Many D1s don’t allow players to miss for necessary labs or classes that conflict with soccer. Know girls threatened with losing their scholarship if they miss team training or activities for school. Some programs are worse than others about actively discouraging certain majors. Many D1 also aren’t able to do internships. There are exceptions but in general D1 means your sport is your job and your #1 priority. Nothing wrong with that for the kids that put soccer before all else. Just like there’s nothing wrong with the kids who prioritize academics and career over soccer. All kids have different goals.

Comment

First hand knowledge that at least at some colleges, being in a Nursing program is almost impossible to do if on a soccer scholarship.

Comment

D1 is a business. The college pays the athlete (with scholarship money and all the costs of running a soccer program. Many D1s don’t allow players to miss for necessary labs or classes that conflict with soccer. Know girls threatened with losing their scholarship if they miss team training or activities for school. Some programs are worse than others about actively discouraging certain majors. Many D1 also aren’t able to do internships. There are exceptions but in general D1 means your sport is your job and your #1 priority. Nothing wrong with that for the kids that put soccer before all else. Just like there’s nothing wrong with the kids who prioritize academics and career over soccer. All kids have different goals.
                          It’s mostly rich kids playing soccer who don’t need a degree anyway. Parents can continue to pay for their soccer life and everything else even when their kids become adults. The rich can do whatever they want.

Comment

D3 is the only successful route for athletes,got it

Comment

Maybe that is what happened in your kid's case, but not mine. Mine played for a top ranked team and still found time to do internships. Everything like majors and internships really come down to their motivation and their willingness to work hard.

Comment

I'm so sick of hearing about how godawful important D1 soccer is. If it is so onerous, and so just like a real job, and all the rest, does that really mean it's even more special and elite? Give us a a break already.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X