X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    For a younger player go to the b team and play more
    I would agree as long as the coach is just as good as the A team coach. Sometimes the B team coaches are even better. They connect more with players and don't have sticks up their azzes.

Comment

Jealous? Better to have 8 teams with small rosters than 5 with big rosters. If clubs managed roster sizes better PT wouldn't be an issue.
      This is something I have noticed is a problem with our club compared to other clubs we played with. Normally we would carry a roster of 15 players (11v11) here at this club they carry 18 at the beginning of season and are usually up to 20 as players move into town. They should form other teams so you don't have to sub in 8 players at a time. smaller rosters equal more playing time.

Comment

Depends on the age group as to whether the roster should be thin or heavy. It is very tough during HS soccer if you kids participating to keep a thinly rostered team together. HS soccer also seems to create injury issues. Also, if the team is active and doing a local and statewide league, plus tournaments, there should be PT enough to go around. For me, at the U15 and up, I'd like to see a roster of 17-18 kids. If it is U13-14, 15 or 16 is better.

This is something I have noticed is a problem with our club compared to other clubs we played with. Normally we would carry a roster of 15 players (11v11) here at this club they carry 18 at the beginning of season and are usually up to 20 as players move into town. They should form other teams so you don't have to sub in 8 players at a time. smaller rosters equal more playing time.

Comment

Depends on the age group as to whether the roster should be thin or heavy. It is very tough during HS soccer if you kids participating to keep a thinly rostered team together. HS soccer also seems to create injury issues. Also, if the team is active and doing a local and statewide league, plus tournaments, there should be PT enough to go around. For me, at the U15 and up, I'd like to see a roster of 17-18 kids. If it is U13-14, 15 or 16 is better.
          after u15 the concept of equality disappears. agree, but players shouldn't be benched for long periods either. as long as the effort is there, bench players should be obtaining semi-regular minutes. i don't think anyone has a crystal ball on who will be a top player and who will not. even the top world class scouts only hit on 2/10 or 3/10 kids. how successful do you think local coaches are at talent evaluation? getting some kids zero playing time is not acceptable.

Comment

If a coach can't find minutes for his player... at any age, then he/she is a bad coach. If the kid is so far behind everyone else, then you shouldn't pick the player and steal the family's money. If the kid is able to contribute, but not as good as the starters, then you need to earn your keep as a coach and find a way to get the kid on the field.

after u15 the concept of equality disappears. agree, but players shouldn't be benched for long periods either. as long as the effort is there, bench players should be obtaining semi-regular minutes. i don't think anyone has a crystal ball on who will be a top player and who will not. even the top world class scouts only hit on 2/10 or 3/10 kids. how successful do you think local coaches are at talent evaluation? getting some kids zero playing time is not acceptable.

Comment

Is equal playing time good or bad for youth soccer.
              It's a bad thing...you have to earn your playing time..this is why I think over booking a roster does kids or the team no justice . 14 is good enough..anymore then that is just Buisness for the club

Comment

14 is not enough for a senior team that has kids that play school soccer. It's also not enough to play a tournament if you pick up a single injury. 14 might work per game, but not for a season.

It's a bad thing...you have to earn your playing time..this is why I think over booking a roster does kids or the team no justice . 14 is good enough..anymore then that is just Buisness for the club

Comment

u14 OR U13

Depending on the team I'd say U13 or U14. Maybe U13 for travel A-side teams and then U14 for everyone else. We are talking about 7th and 8th graders by this point. Kids should be rewarded for working hard. Equal play time at that age and beyond sends the wrong message.

But regardless of the age if your kid isn't getting much playing time I think you should put him on the B team or if there is only one club move him into another program. Futsal for example is great for kids. Also you could try another nearby club. A kid isn't going to develop without time on the ball and won't develop team concepts without playing time.

So move your kid into a situation where they will get to play. It might be even more important for the young kids. If you are U10 or U11 and only getting five to 10 minutes time per game make a change.

To develop all kids need to find their level. If a kid is way way better than everyone else he needs to be moved to find better competition. If a kid is not as good as everyone around hiim than he needs to be moved to a place where he can have some success.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                  Auto-Saved
                  x
                  Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                  x
                  Working...
                  X