Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Just realize that the tournament is in the Richmond AREA. My daughter went 3 times and I believe she only played 1 game actually in Richmond. In our experience, games could be 30 to 40 mins away from Richmond.

With the driving between games and team meetings and workouts we didn't have a lot of down time. We used Yelp and google to help find restaurants and shopping.
    This is experienced advice. Your team is likely staying in a business hotel just off a perimeter highway with an awful pool that the girls will love anyway. The main Jeff Cup facility is also in the suburbs, and there are many satellite locations serving many brackets. Buy the sweatshirt, take some pictures and enjoy this time with your D.

Carytown is the hip strip of Richmond, and many tour University of Richmond. Pro tip: she actually wants you to giver her $25 for the team dinner - you embarrass her. While being a better father you might choose from below
    https://www.hopculture.com/best-craf...mond-virginia/

Comment

Taking my kid this year for the first time. Anyone have any useful insight on the tournament, places to eat, things to see in Richmond, etc.?
      Yes! Places to eat-wherever your team manager has booked the team dinner! Things to see-your daughter and her teammates playing soccer!

Comment

Yes! Places to eat-wherever your team manager has booked the team dinner! Things to see-your daughter and her teammates playing soccer!
        Nope, let the kids have their team dinner and parent...find the local pub.

Comment

Good point.

I was going to suggest taking the Danville train, but Stoneman's Calvary came and tore up the tracks again.
          “You take what you need and you leave the rest”...

Is this the Stars theme song?

Comment

Good point.

I was going to suggest taking the Danville train, but Stoneman's Calvary came and tore up the tracks again.
            Haha. Agreed. I heard it was the night they drove old Dixie down and all the bells were ringing.

Comment

Haha. Agreed. I heard it was the night they drove old Dixie down and all the bells were ringing.
              Now you went and ruined it.
              So much for subtlety

Comment

This is experienced advice. Your team is likely staying in a business hotel just off a perimeter highway with an awful pool that the girls will love anyway. The main Jeff Cup facility is also in the suburbs, and there are many satellite locations serving many brackets. Buy the sweatshirt, take some pictures and enjoy this time with your D.

Carytown is the hip strip of Richmond, and many tour University of Richmond. Pro tip: she actually wants you to giver her $25 for the team dinner - you embarrass her. While being a better father you might choose from below
                https://www.hopculture.com/best-craf...mond-virginia/
                Fun tourney. Missed going after cub went into GDA. Would be nice if they have some intra league match ups to take advantage of the college coaches attending.

Comment

Now you went and ruined it.
                  So much for subtlety
                  I guess you will have to start referencing Bobbi Gentry instead.

Comment

Fun tourney. Missed going after cub went into GDA. Would be nice if they have some intra league match ups to take advantage of the college coaches attending.
                    You know that would never happen, right? DA allows you to apply for non league events, but few clubs will want to risk their mediocre teams being beaten by non DA teams. It's not likely to happen vs many Jeff Cup teams, but vs ECN? No. Freaking. Way. (eventhough it would be good for players and coaches).

Comment

You know that would never happen, right? DA allows you to apply for non league events, but few clubs will want to risk their mediocre teams being beaten by non DA teams. It's not likely to happen vs many Jeff Cup teams, but vs ECN? No. Freaking. Way. (eventhough it would be good for players and coaches).
                      I recall attending a winter event in PA. The DA teams beat ECNL teams pretty handily. It was 1st year of GDA so i guess 2018. My recollection was a very good turn out of top coaches in attendance.

I am from MD area originally. The leagues are not as weak as up here.

Comment

Point is those competitions are out there. Jeff Cup should try to make it happen.

Comment

I guess you will have to start referencing Bobbi Gentry instead.
                          A little Dusty Springfield never hurts...

Comment

A little Dusty Springfield never hurts...
                            Springfield is rotten. Dusty is a given

Comment

Agree with both of these posts (the quoted one, and the one it referenced).

"Buy the sweatshirt, take some pictures and enjoy this time with your D."

As my son is getting to the point where he'll be off to college soon, I'm starting to get anticipatory nostalgia already. I think this Jeff Cup will be the last we go to, so I may even have to be *that parent* and buy a sweatshirt myself. I don't know if I can do it, though. At least I don't own any "fan gear" for my son's club.

Comment

Plenty to cover based on the responses...

Sometimes it makes sense to drive a bit further out from the fields to eat, if there's time, between games.

There are excellent bar/restaurants down by the capital in Richmond

Pack clothes for winter and spring. It can get cold, quickly.

Pass on the tournament tshirt and consider UR or VCU swag instead. Their bookstores will be open.

Skip the managers team dinner.

Club fan gear is ok provided you dont look like you want to play! Hoodie is a safe choice.

Try to have a beer with someone from another club unless its someone from PDA, if thats the case run!

It's the best tournament atmosphere/environment (fields, extra curriculars, etc..) we've been to besides the ECNL and DA events.

If you are driving, get creative and try to avoid the Baltimore/DC sections of 95. Detouring through the eastern shore via Delaware can be a wise choice.

And for our music peeps:.
                                Crowd, Crowd everywhere a crowd
                                Blockin' out the chic fil a, cutting in line
                                Do this, don't do that, can't you see the crowds?

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X