Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lifelong physical effects of soccer

Does anyone know any statistics on lifelong physical issues from soccer like arthritis, tendinitis, knee problems, concussion side-effects. Are there more in D1 or the same across the board? At least on the girls side, the players bodies are beaten up pretty badly. Think many will have chronic pain issues later in life. Anyone have knowledge or stats?

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Does anyone know any statistics on lifelong physical issues from soccer like arthritis, tendinitis, knee problems, concussion side-effects. Are there more in D1 or the same across the board? At least on the girls side, the players bodies are beaten up pretty badly. Think many will have chronic pain issues later in life. Anyone have knowledge or stats?
    ***? Let your kid sit on the coach instead and see how they deal with diabetes. Sometimes i wonder what this society is coming to.

Comment

Athletes get beaten up. It's part of the deal. Some sports are worse than others and some athletes get injured more often than others. No two people will heal exactly the same from the same injury. They can just as easily have a bad ankle sprain that bothers them for years slipping in the ice. If you're worried then pull them out of sports altogether and join the chess club.

Comment

Been playing the game since the mid-70's

I suffer from sore knees, feet, hip, lower back, 3 broken fingers, borderline alcoholism, and wouldn't change it for the world.

Comment

Been playing the game since the mid-70's

I suffer from sore knees, feet, hip, lower back, 3 broken fingers, borderline alcoholism, and wouldn't change it for the world.
          Lol I wasn't really an athlete have all but the broken fingers!

Comment

On the girls side, soccer is has the most physical damage. Concussions are only 2nd to American football, blown knees are now getting common in elementary school soccer girls. Soccer is the American football of girls sports in terms of injuries. We won’t know the full effects until these girls get into their 30s & 40s. That said, my daughters love it and my sons love American football. They’ve all suffered multiple injuries but can’t wait to get back at it. They know they may suffer physically now and in the future but they love their chosen sports too much. I do personally know several girls who had to quit due to too many knee issues, 5 who had to hang up cleats forever due to multiple concussions, and one for a neck injury. My girls aren’t in college yet but we hear college has even more injuries. My girls can’t wait to play in college so the heart wants what the heart wants.

Comment

^ as with life in general, you cant live for today fearing what might happen tomorrow.

Comment

On the girls side, soccer is has the most physical damage. Concussions are only 2nd to American football, blown knees are now getting common in elementary school soccer girls. Soccer is the American football of girls sports in terms of injuries. We won’t know the full effects until these girls get into their 30s & 40s. That said, my daughters love it and my sons love American football. They’ve all suffered multiple injuries but can’t wait to get back at it. They know they may suffer physically now and in the future but they love their chosen sports too much. I do personally know several girls who had to quit due to too many knee issues, 5 who had to hang up cleats forever due to multiple concussions, and one for a neck injury. My girls aren’t in college yet but we hear college has even more injuries. My girls can’t wait to play in college so the heart wants what the heart wants.
                My daughter played in college. She was lucky to avoid serious soccer injuries, but some of her teammates weren’t so lucky. The difference is that in college, a season or career-ending injury puts any athletic scholarship at risk. She had one teammate who had to leave school because of that. The roughness in the college game is also a factor. As their career winds down, the players tend to be more reckless and violent. My daughter and her teammates called it “not giving a f**k” as in I won’t be playing in a year or two so all niceties go out the window. The last factor we saw was that more and more incoming freshmen have already had one or more leg injuries/surgeries, usually ACL, so that seems to make them more prone to having a short college career.

Comment

Jesus, why do you even get up in the morning.
                  You can have a stroke taking a crap.
                  The pharma companies are pushing girls to play so they can pre-write the pain med scrips
                  Lifelong benefits far outweigh any risks.

Comment

My daughter played in college. She was lucky to avoid serious soccer injuries, but some of her teammates weren’t so lucky. The difference is that in college, a season or career-ending injury puts any athletic scholarship at risk. She had one teammate who had to leave school because of that. The roughness in the college game is also a factor. As their career winds down, the players tend to be more reckless and violent. My daughter and her teammates called it “not giving a f**k” as in I won’t be playing in a year or two so all niceties go out the window. The last factor we saw was that more and more incoming freshmen have already had one or more leg injuries/surgeries, usually ACL, so that seems to make them more prone to having a short college career.
                    We’ve seen the same thing. More girls coming into college already having had one or two knee surgeries. The same girls seem to be more prone to knee injuries again in college. Concussions seem to hit indiscriminately but if a girl has had one or two before college, the college ones seem to do more damage. College soccer is much more physical so many more injuries. Genetics and luck play a part.

Long term, these girls will suffer more early onset arthritis and tendinitis. Mine are happy to take the risk now. Hopefully, no regrets when they’re 30. I’m not one but if you’re a parent that wouldn’t let you son play pigskin football, you don’t want your daughters playing soccer.

Comment

I've played collegiate and weekend warrior stuff for so many years. Have had torn acl, two should surgeries and a arm surgery all from soccer. Still play and sore a heck the next day after I play, but love it!!! As with any sport or thing repetition can give you tendinitis, but better than diabetics sitting on the couch playing xbox.

Comment

We’ve seen the same thing. More girls coming into college already having had one or two knee surgeries. The same girls seem to be more prone to knee injuries again in college. Concussions seem to hit indiscriminately but if a girl has had one or two before college, the college ones seem to do more damage. College soccer is much more physical so many more injuries. Genetics and luck play a part.

Long term, these girls will suffer more early onset arthritis and tendinitis. Mine are happy to take the risk now. Hopefully, no regrets when they’re 30. I’m not one but if you’re a parent that wouldn’t let you son play pigskin football, you don’t want your daughters playing soccer.
                        Nice argument.
                        Trim the numbers now so it’s easier to get the ever elusive scholarship or ecnl spot.
                        Stick to cheerleading, right?

Comment

I've played collegiate and weekend warrior stuff for so many years. Have had torn acl, two should surgeries and a arm surgery all from soccer. Still play and sore a heck the next day after I play, but love it!!! As with any sport or thing repetition can give you tendinitis, but better than diabetics sitting on the couch playing xbox.
                          Two shoulders and an arm?
                          I hope you’re a keeper.
                          Otherwise you’re in the wrong sport...

Btw, can we lay off the diabetic slurs.
                          I play twice a week and am well below dangerous bmi levels, yet I struggle.
                          Never played xbox either

Comment

Heard there is going to be a post-mortum study of soccer players’ brains similar to what’s been done for American football players to see if lifelong heading and head contact cause CTE. It will probably be many years before they have an answer though given that some of the volunteers are pretty young. By then, you’ll have generations of players where the damage has already been done if they find a link to soccer and CTE.

Comment

Contact sports like football and women’s soccer (men’s soccer isn’t as bad for some reason) will cause injuries and leave their mark for sure. Other sports might have fewer injuries but if they love soccer, what are you going to do? I let my son play football too though so maybe I’m not the best parent as far as keeping my kids in safer sports!

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X