Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Hmmm....my kid is working her way through HS and she's had 3 coaches who have made a huge impact on her. One was from an old club, one was from futsal, and one from her current club (but last year's coach).

She's the first to credit them for pushing her over the edge. In fact, when she left her old club, she asked to go by and talk to him to thank him.

She deserves credit, but to say the Clubs do not is not true.

As for the OP's question, "it depends". Mostly, it's up to each family to decide, really.
    Actually it is true. you named coaches, not Clubs. Players may well connect with a coach at a club and that influence may motivate them to work harder or be more open to learning, but players do all the work

Comment

Not a fan. Club soccer is a business, big big business. If you aren’t providing a product that a customer wants than they should feel free to go elsewhere. That’s what blows my mind with these clubs. I pay 8,000 a year for my kid to play soccer, and you want to try and tell her that she can’t explore other clubs, and look at other opportunities?? What?? I’m the one paying.

And who cares about poaching, a player can only be poached if parents agree, and I’ve never met a parent who wasn’t an adult, so if a parent is manipulated, coerced by another club to switch teams than that’s on them. Youth club soccer should not be about creating super teams or winning championships. It should be about individual player development, so let the kid go.
      I don't think this means can't go elsewhere. Just you can't club jump until the season ends. Some switch every several months. Development does necessarily occur when you jump ship instead of seeing the process through until the end of the season. I think it is a great idea. It also ensures that coaches can't just pick flavor of week instead of developing kids on team.

Comment

I don't think this means can't go elsewhere. Just you can't club jump until the season ends. Some switch every several months. Development does necessarily occur when you jump ship instead of seeing the process through until the end of the season. I think it is a great idea. It also ensures that coaches can't just pick flavor of week instead of developing kids on team.
        There have been various attempts to curb poaching and club jumping. It can work within a league, but now there's so many leagues you can just jump to another one. Unless the club has done something egregious, club hoping families are still obligated to finish paying on their contract and won't get refund. Some families can afford that and don't care. Just not getting PT or disagreeing with a coach's style isn't a reason to leave early. If, however, a situation is truly toxic and player is so miserable they don't want to play, then leaving may be warranted (bullying, coach is abusive)

Comment

look at any pro player. So so so so many people will claim to have had a hand in their success. Ask the player to get to the truth of it.
          See who if any they invite to their wedding

Comment

It's really somewhere in between your post and the other one. Some coaches will have more of an impact than others. It's probably about - guessing - 65% player, 25% coach(es), 10% club? I mean the club hires the coaches and maybe directs curriculum, but the club itself really doesn't have that much to do with an individual's development
            The perception driven by the clubs is that the club has a meaningful contribution, often even more than their individual coaches, and far more than the reality, and the fact that the player has the most to do with it isn't part of the perception driven by the club. That was my point in the previous post. It's not that a coach or even a club deserve literally zero credit, but given the circumstances I'm talking about, zero is closer to the truth and I have no problem calling bull**** when a given club or coach is tweeting out this or that implying they're doing something special.

Comment

Actually it is true. you named coaches, not Clubs. Players may well connect with a coach at a club and that influence may motivate them to work harder or be more open to learning, but players do all the work
              yes, I named the coaches but all of them were also DOCs so, theoretically, they instituted a culture across all the coaches.

Realistically, the first club coach she had was great, but we had poor experiences with the rest and it's why we eventually moved on.

The last, however, while he isn't her coach any longer it's a tight enough group and he keeps an eye on her she still considers him one of her coaches.

Comment

yes, I named the coaches but all of them were also DOCs so, theoretically, they instituted a culture across all the coaches.

Realistically, the first club coach she had was great, but we had poor experiences with the rest and it's why we eventually moved on.

The last, however, while he isn't her coach any longer it's a tight enough group and he keeps an eye on her she still considers him one of her coaches.
                There are good coaches and good clubs, I don't think anyone is making an argument suggesting otherwise, but the players primarily deserve the credit for their development, and by primarily I mean nearly entirely, even if they lack the wisdom and insight along the way to appreciate that fact and are happy to give credit to others who helped them.

There's just no justifiable circumstance where someone besides the player should take credit for developing a player in any way that implies (or worse) that they deserve primary credit (in other words, more than the player), but clubs and coaches do it all the time, from tweets to website bios to marketing materials.

Comment

There are good coaches and good clubs, I don't think anyone is making an argument suggesting otherwise, but the players primarily deserve the credit for their development, and by primarily I mean nearly entirely, even if they lack the wisdom and insight along the way to appreciate that fact and are happy to give credit to others who helped them.

There's just no justifiable circumstance where someone besides the player should take credit for developing a player in any way that implies (or worse) that they deserve primary credit (in other words, more than the player), but clubs and coaches do it all the time, from tweets to website bios to marketing materials.
                  While I understand your point, I disagree partially. Certain coaches saw something in her that others didn't, pushed her buttons the right way and put her in a mental position to succeed. They deserve credit for that.

Where I agree is it was still up to the player to take that direction, institute it in a positive way, put the work in on the side...essentially follow the path they laid out for her. The club/coach is the one who laid the path out.

Comment

A coach can make or break a kid. This year has been a waste of a year of development for my kid, who is at a standstill. No growth this year. Wish there was a website you could post reviews on coaches. Clubs should ask for parent and player reviews on coaches.

Comment

A coach can make or break a kid. This year has been a waste of a year of development for my kid, who is at a standstill. No growth this year. Wish there was a website you could post reviews on coaches. Clubs should ask for parent and player reviews on coaches.
                      lol like they'd do anything with information. The clubs know. They just don't care. There's always a fresh batch of new meat every year for the grinder, writing checks. Clubs can move coaches around like the Catholic church moved priests. As long as a coach is adequate, doesn't get a load of complaints, or seriously bad behavior they'll probably keep their job

Comment

lol like they'd do anything with information. The clubs know. They just don't care. There's always a fresh batch of new meat every year for the grinder, writing checks. Clubs can move coaches around like the Catholic church moved priests. As long as a coach is adequate, doesn't get a load of complaints, or seriously bad behavior they'll probably keep their job
                        Serious question. Which club has the best coaches for developing kids? As far as giving lessons, instructions, teaching.

Comment

Serious question. Which club has the best coaches for developing kids? As far as giving lessons, instructions, teaching.
                          You won't get a serious answer. Because:

1) TS is an agenda-based filth-hole
                          2) It is coach-dependent
                          3) Different approaches work for different people

Comment

You won't get a serious answer. Because:

1) TS is an agenda-based filth-hole
                            2) It is coach-dependent
                            3) Different approaches work for different people
                            Simple. Smaller clubs have a more personal approach...and more to lose so they pay closer attention.

Comment

Serious question. Which club has...
                              Serious answer. Already asking the wrong question.

Comment

Simple. Smaller clubs have a more personal approach...and more to lose so they pay closer attention.
                                Are you on crack

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X