•  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Like a mix of both.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      You are hung up on the nuances and not the question at hand. Klopp referenced is when speaking of his personal preference when he was at Dortmund.

(About 270 million people per year go to the opera)

And, apologies for the attempt to drift away from the dlck-measuring that goes on so much here.
      No nuances involved in rock n roll.
      Put the ball in their net, keep it out of yours.
      Name of the game. Simplicity at its best.

Comment

No preference. Any fan who has a preference really doesn’t understand the game. There’s two main factors in planning an attack: your opponent and the clock. Not clear what the clock is in either example; but in the first, the opposing team is playing tight and not giving space. No opportunity to go direct. In the second, the field is wide open and the attacker is not closely marked so going direct makes sense. Again, not knowing how much time is left on the clock, maybe this is a direct counterattack with time running out. Good teams respond to the situation.

Comment

No preference. Any fan who has a preference really doesn’t understand the game. There’s two main factors in planning an attack: your opponent and the clock. Not clear what the clock is in either example; but in the first, the opposing team is playing tight and not giving space. No opportunity to go direct. In the second, the field is wide open and the attacker is not closely marked so going direct makes sense. Again, not knowing how much time is left on the clock, maybe this is a direct counterattack with time running out. Good teams respond to the situation.

Valid point. Both were done in the middle of normal time so it was more of a matter of finding where the space was vs. an urgent need.

The second examples posted where Bergkamp scored very late, that would fit into what your are stating.

I do quibble with the "not understanding the game" comment. The point of the exercise was which is more aesthetically pleasing to one's eye.

Comment

Valid point. Both were done in the middle of normal time so it was more of a matter of finding where the space was vs. an urgent need.

The second examples posted where Bergkamp scored very late, that would fit into what your are stating.

I do quibble with the "not understanding the game" comment. The point of the exercise was which is more aesthetically pleasing to one's eye.
            What is pleasing about watching three or four backs switch a ball from side to side, with no pressure?
            It’s like throwing screen passes for a yard every play

Comment

If you like both why isn't that a good enough answer? Situational and team strategy differences vs different opponents.

One is a chess match and one is checkers. Different games. Somedays i like checkers and somedays chess.

Comment

If you like both why isn't that a good enough answer? Situational and team strategy differences vs different opponents.

One is a chess match and one is checkers. Different games. Somedays i like checkers and somedays chess.
                Fair enough

Comment

What is pleasing about watching three or four backs switch a ball from side to side, with no pressure?
                  It’s like throwing screen passes for a yard every play
                  One takes iq to open lanes (tougher opponent) and one does not.

Comment

Agreed. What some see as backs passing back and forth others see as probing to find an opening. And, if you notice, that's exactly what ended up happening.

I also liked that every position player had a touch at some point.

Comment

Agreed. What some see as backs passing back and forth others see as probing to find an opening. And, if you notice, that's exactly what ended up happening.

I also liked that every position player had a touch at some point.
                      My kid is a gk. I understand the entire field and what they need to do. Not everyone does.

Comment

My kid is a gk. I understand the entire field and what they need to do. Not everyone does.
                        This is true. Most only understand a piece of the game including players. I can't tell you how many times i watch a kid with an open lane pass to their teammate on the clogged side or into traffic. Limited knowledge.

Comment

Aesthetically pleasing? What are we, children who need bright, shiny objects to entertain us? If that’s the standard then for me, my preference would be combining soccer with Victoria’s Secret models instead of make players. I wouldn’t care whether they played possession or direct in that case.

Comment

Aesthetically pleasing? What are we, children who need bright, shiny objects to entertain us? If that’s the standard then for me, my preference would be combining soccer with Victoria’s Secret models instead of make players. I wouldn’t care whether they played possession or direct in that case.
                            Such is your opinion.

Moving along...

Comment

Such is your opinion.

Moving along...
                              Thank you. Bump in the road avoided.

Comment

No, just lazy and slow defending

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X