•  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mallory Pugh has chance to reset after USWNT Olympic qualifying omission

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=994jNtV8ao4

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Well, missing a Concacaf roster doesn’t mean much, but Pugh hasn’t been a factor for the USWNT for some time. She hasn’t been the same player since coming off an injury in 2018. She lacks the speed and creativity she had before. And there really hasn’t been a role for her on the team. They have plenty of talent up front and she’s been a backup finisher to Morgan in the few times she’s played with just ok results. The new coach is trying to shake things up and add more speed so you see Williams, etc. taking her spot.

Comment

The Olympic roster is limited to 3 players less than the NT. She hasn't been as strong and someone had to go. She's still young and there are some players that are will be retiring soon. In other words, it's not over for her but she still has to earn it.

Comment

Earn it? Has not had to so far, so ..

Comment

Well, missing a Concacaf roster doesn’t mean much, but Pugh hasn’t been a factor for the USWNT for some time. She hasn’t been the same player since coming off an injury in 2018. She lacks the speed and creativity she had before. And there really hasn’t been a role for her on the team. They have plenty of talent up front and she’s been a backup finisher to Morgan in the few times she’s played with just ok results. The new coach is trying to shake things up and add more speed so you see Williams, etc. taking her spot.
          I’d take my chances with her over Morgan all day long

Comment

I’d take my chances with her over Morgan all day long
            ??? No disrespect to Pugh, but I’d take that bet all day long. Morgan’s got nothing to prove.

Comment

??? No disrespect to Pugh, but I’d take that bet all day long. Morgan’s got nothing to prove.
              Got nothing

Comment

Maybe she should start taking some night and weekend college classes.

Comment

Maybe she should start taking some night and weekend college classes.
                  Walked away from a free ride to UCLA. Ouch.

Comment

Walked away from a free ride to UCLA. Ouch.
                    So when the Head Coach of the USWNT offers a player a spot on the roster at 17, how many would pass up that opportunity? Opportunity to play for your country in the World Cup with teammates who were probably your idols growing up. Get signed to a pro NWSL roster; and while it may not be big $, you still are making more than a college student. Sometimes playing it super safe and going to college isn’t the smart move. Life is to be lived.

Comment

So when the Head Coach of the USWNT offers a player a spot on the roster at 17, how many would pass up that opportunity? Opportunity to play for your country in the World Cup with teammates who were probably your idols growing up. Get signed to a pro NWSL roster; and while it may not be big $, you still are making more than a college student. Sometimes playing it super safe and going to college isn’t the smart move. Life is to be lived.
                      Not the point but typical of the youth soccer crowd. It was big money. She had done great financially. Point is she is not the generational player we were told she was. I’m happy she has made a few million. Fact is ussf are so bad at talent evaluation

Comment

Not the point but typical of the youth soccer crowd. It was big money. She had done great financially. Point is she is not the generational player we were told she was. I’m happy she has made a few million. Fact is ussf are so bad at talent evaluation
                        I disagree in this case. When MP first came on the scene, she was a dynamic attacker. What’s changed? She got older... she was injured... she used to play with boys, now she doesn’t. I could go on. The reality is she had potential, but for what ever reason it hasn’t fully materialized. Happens all the time at that level. She may still come back from this, but I think she’ll need to go overseas to do it.

Comment

I disagree in this case. When MP first came on the scene, she was a dynamic attacker. What’s changed? She got older... she was injured... she used to play with boys, now she doesn’t. I could go on. The reality is she had potential, but for what ever reason it hasn’t fully materialized. Happens all the time at that level. She may still come back from this, but I think she’ll need to go overseas to do it.
                          Agreed. Now that she’s been traded to Sky Blue they should loan her to a top flight European club. She would benefit from it and Sky Blue would be maximizing their investment.

Comment

Agreed. Now that she’s been traded to Sky Blue they should loan her to a top flight European club. She would benefit from it and Sky Blue would be maximizing their investment.
                            Isn't it strange she hasn't already taken that route? I wonder if her reoccuring injuries are worse then public is being told.

She hasn"t been lighting it up in nwsl either.

Comment

NWSL defintely isn't the place to be, worse than MLS, but it would also depend on where she could land. Not all overseas opportunities are the same.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X