Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

College Scholarship offers..

If the out of pocket money is the same, Is it better to play for a team your kid loves but the academics (2nd 3rd tier state school) are not that great or play for a better academically ranked school but the program is so-so?

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    If the out of pocket money is the same, Is it better to play for a team your kid loves but the academics (2nd 3rd tier state school) are not that great or play for a better academically ranked school but the program is so-so?
    Someone isn't getting any love bashing D3 on the other threads. Don't give him any oxygen

Comment

Op here. I think you have me confused with someone else. My 2021 dd has 3 offers. One of the coaches is asking for an answer soon. 2 of the offers has the same amount out of pocket costs. One school is an OOS public school that isn’t their flagship school.. not even their second best public school. But DD loved the campus and their team. They placed middle of their conference. It’s in a rural area and she’s only lived in suburbia all her life so I think she’s not used to everyone being so nice. My concern with this school is their academics. Without the soccer piece this school wouldn’t be on her radar. Average SAT there is 1100. She scored 32 on her ACT. 2nd school is in a suburban city 5 hours away by car. This school is in the bottom 3 of their conference but academically is a well known and respected school. Not a T100. Her gpa and test scores qualify her for a lot of merit aid. She didn’t like the team as much, felt “clicky”. Academically speaking, she doesn’t know what she wants to major in but likely psychology or business. We want her to have a say in her decision but I’m having a hard time with the idea she’ll pick A. I posted hear other parents thoughts about this or who have gone through this process.

School 3’s offer would make it a financial stretch for us. Offer was a small percentage off tuition. Even with merit aid it’s a reach. Coach is nice, only met a couple girls from the team, 6 hr flight from home. This school hasn’t been in our discussions and the coach hasn’t given us a deadline. She knows she’s not one of their main prospects and would be taking one of the last spots.

Comment

Op here. I think you have me confused with someone else. My 2021 dd has 3 offers. One of the coaches is asking for an answer soon. 2 of the offers has the same amount out of pocket costs. One school is an OOS public school that isn’t their flagship school.. not even their second best public school. But DD loved the campus and their team. They placed middle of their conference. It’s in a rural area and she’s only lived in suburbia all her life so I think she’s not used to everyone being so nice. My concern with this school is their academics. Without the soccer piece this school wouldn’t be on her radar. Average SAT there is 1100. She scored 32 on her ACT. 2nd school is in a suburban city 5 hours away by car. This school is in the bottom 3 of their conference but academically is a well known and respected school. Not a T100. Her gpa and test scores qualify her for a lot of merit aid. She didn’t like the team as much, felt “clicky”. Academically speaking, she doesn’t know what she wants to major in but likely psychology or business. We want her to have a say in her decision but I’m having a hard time with the idea she’ll pick A. I posted hear other parents thoughts about this or who have gone through this process.

School 3’s offer would make it a financial stretch for us. Offer was a small percentage off tuition. Even with merit aid it’s a reach. Coach is nice, only met a couple girls from the team, 6 hr flight from home. This school hasn’t been in our discussions and the coach hasn’t given us a deadline. She knows she’s not one of their main prospects and would be taking one of the last spots.
        If you want to be taken seriously and have any chance at real feedback you need to provide more info. Based on the limited data above, you seem to be engaged in a very unique search. A 2nd or 3rd tier school out of state (and the "nice" maybe means the South and somewhere like UNC-Asheville or Western Carolina), another school five hours away in a suburban city (whatever that means), and then a 3rd school that is a six hour flight (so West of Denver?). Pretty odd selection for a very good student who apparently is good enough to get some money (some athletic money?). Sounds bizarre at first blush, and therefore very open to the charge of being the product of a very familiar and well-known poster.

Comment

Considering my need to be vague, we left the search to our dd. Like many other players, she blasted a lot of emails to 50 coaches last year to see who would bite. The schools that have interest were ones who responded from those pre-showcase emails and followed up with her. Our search is a lot less narrow than you can imagine. I think for many players her outreach approach is what clubs tell their players to do. With her stats she could easily find local to near local with her stats. Trust me, I already know this and want to pull my hair out. But she wants to play soccer. And I don’t want to say no because we outlined our finances before hand and told her we would support her college soccer aspirations as long as it was in the ballpark of what we would finance. She isn’t a top recruit, not the best player on her team. She understands her soccer limitations as we also do. She’s not in the position of playing for a school that checks off all her or are boxes. It’s her next chapter of four years, not ours. Trust me when I say I would rather her pick a school for academics and play club soccer than to pay for a mediocre academic school with her stats.

Comment

It’s impossible to be taken seriously on this forum. The best anyone can hope for is gleaning a gold nugget or two before it becomes a vomit filled black hole of trolling and thread hijacking.

Comment

While I agree that this is more likely than not a fictitious post, i’ll share my opinion.
              Send her to the school that you think will make her most happy. include in your assessment of her happiness factors like affordability (hers and yours) and manageability (flights vs drives).

Sounds like shes a great student, but I don't agree that any family should go to the highest academic school as ranked by others but the best fit school as judged by themselves

Comment

Considering my need to be vague, we left the search to our dd. Like many other players, she blasted a lot of emails to 50 coaches last year to see who would bite. The schools that have interest were ones who responded from those pre-showcase emails and followed up with her. Our search is a lot less narrow than you can imagine. I think for many players her outreach approach is what clubs tell their players to do. With her stats she could easily find local to near local with her stats. Trust me, I already know this and want to pull my hair out. But she wants to play soccer. And I don’t want to say no because we outlined our finances before hand and told her we would support her college soccer aspirations as long as it was in the ballpark of what we would finance. She isn’t a top recruit, not the best player on her team. She understands her soccer limitations as we also do. She’s not in the position of playing for a school that checks off all her or are boxes. It’s her next chapter of four years, not ours. Trust me when I say I would rather her pick a school for academics and play club soccer than to pay for a mediocre academic school with her stats.
                LOL. By what method did she pick the 50 schools to email blast?

One thing.....you can allow her to pick within reason but what you don't do is let her pick some school that is ridiculous for her or if she is picking it because it has outdoor pools and free ice cream or because she likes the school's colors.

Comment

Funny how this thread suddenly popped up....and with a kid/family with certain "dilemmas" that we all have come to know and love.

Comment

Going out on a limb that you are not a troll. It sounds like you are either early in the process or aren’t getting the contact with the coach/team that you need to make an informed decision. Either way, my advice is that soccer won’t pay the bills when she graduates so she should go to a better known academic school. If she just wants to play and isn’t hyper competitive, then it really doesn’t matter how good the soccer program is or where it falls in their conference. One thing to be sure of though is that the coach sees her as a player/contributor and not a practice cone. You need to know whether she’ll get any minutes.

Comment

Depends on what the student/player wants.
                      My d's friend picked a great academic school and a good program. She passed on a better program (P5) with so-so academics ($$ the same).
                      Not everyone in her family supports it, but it's her choice. They support her.

Comment

What does this sentence mean?

"Considering my need to be vague, we left the search to our dd."

Not sure I've ever heard of any kid with the choices presented in this little scenario. Throwing darts at a map is about what it sounds like.

Comment

Considering op did not mention which division and the background she gave, guessing these are D2/NAIA/or very low level D1. Ask your daughter where they see themselves working in 10 years. I would argue school name and prestige isn’t as important for some majors like teaching. If she doesn’t like it she could always transfer to a local state school. You might want to look into a schools honor program as well. Let her go where she’ll be happy and have fun.

Comment

What does this sentence mean?

"Considering my need to be vague, we left the search to our dd."

Not sure I've ever heard of any kid with the choices presented in this little scenario. Throwing darts at a map is about what it sounds like.
                            Doesn’t want to be identified and throwing darts. Not the op but tons of soccer players throw darts before a tournament. Plenty of D2/NAIA/D3/Juco schools at these tournaments will reach out to players they discover at tournaments. Especially if it’s a school people aren’t swarming to get into. Nothing wrong with the strategy. You would be surprised how it opens players up to schools that weren’t aren’t a players radar. The more you put yourself out there the more likely a school will express interest.

Comment

Thanks for the thread, BTNT, and thanks for the additional seminar.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X