Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Lehrer was a D1 coach (UCLA) - didn't help much although he did have a great season in 2016 and would have won the league had the sex scandal not broke out (which btw was happening before he got there)

The team has two issues:

1) They had some bad recruits under Delano (the previous asst coach under Lehrer)- it was lazy recruiting as several so-called "national team" recruits turned out to be pretty mediocre.
    2) Poor team chemistry
    2016 team had three key players who they lost in 2017 - AWO, JF, TS. New recruits in 2017 and 2018 were not good enough and team chemistry went down-hill. Some toxic players also really hurt the team. Then throw in a head coach who was not effective in recognizing this and righting the ship...

Shapiro will need to figure out all this and hopefully he will make the right adjustments.

Comment

Transfers from Tufts? If they had the grades to be at Harvard and the soccer ability to impact there don't you think they would be there already?
      And BTNT with his echolalic nonsense just again. Sounds like panic in his voice, now, though. Like, what if he realizes he was so, so wrong about everything all these years?

Comment

This is true. In general, it is harder to satisfy the NESCAC academic requirements for athletes than it is to satisfy the Ivy requirements for athletes. NESCACs have far less ability to deviate below the school mean.

At the same time, the overall soccer talent level between the two leagues is significant. Harvard and other Ivys are generally able to attract markedly better players. JS is an excellent recruiter. Give him a few years, with the Harvard platform and name to market, and he likely will get that program moving in the right direction.
        He also doesn't mess around. If you aren't putting out maximal effort and committed to being a two way player you won't play.

Comment

So now I want to know if Shapiro will keep the asst coaches. I have the impression (though I'm far from an insider) that they didn't help the team culture/toxicity.

Comment

So now I want to know if Shapiro will keep the asst coaches. I have the impression (though I'm far from an insider) that they didn't help the team culture/toxicity.
            A lot of new HC's will clean house. In this case it's probably an even better idea.

Comment

The asst coaches are good. They couldn't overrule a lot of the dumb things Lehrer was doing. Toxicity was from a few older players- some are still there. I think FD will leave for greener pastures. not sure about MF.

Comment

He also doesn't mess around. If you aren't putting out maximal effort and committed to being a two way player you won't play.
                Well then he won't have 11 starters. It's not like D3 where any tough physical runt who is somewhat decent can play. You have to be good to play D1 and Harvard has only a handful of those players right now.

Comment

Culture change will be job #1 on JS's agenda. If it takes starting 10 freshmen, as he did once at Tufts, to accomplish it, he will!

Comment

Well then he won't have 11 starters. It's not like D3 where any tough physical runt who is somewhat decent can play. You have to be good to play D1 and Harvard has only a handful of those players right now.
                    This was so unresponsive to the post that your agenda is exposed pretty nakedly. The post was about maximal effort and not whether there are a sufficient number of D1 caliber players. He will get them, though. He's had more than handful of D1 level players over the past five years.

Comment

This was so unresponsive to the post that your agenda is exposed pretty nakedly. The post was about maximal effort and not whether there are a sufficient number of D1 caliber players. He will get them, though. He's had more than handful of D1 level players over the past five years.
                      Maximal effort by itself won’t cut it in D1. Post was one-dimensional.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered
                        The asst coaches are good. They couldn't overrule a lot of the dumb things Lehrer was doing. Toxicity was from a few older players- some are still there. I think FD will leave for greener pastures. not sure about MF.
                        Anyone else have the impression that the assistant(s) is posting here?

Comment

FD is famous for posting here.

Comment

Nope. Former player.

Comment

Nope. Former player.
                              That would be truly sad if a person with a Harvard degree is trolling talking soccer after his glory days.

Comment

That would be truly sad if a person with a Harvard degree is trolling talking soccer after his glory days.
                                But by far not the saddest story. We know who claims that honor.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X