X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Nobody. Based on the USDA rules and regulations:

I now see Academy rostered players also playing high school soccer. Shall I assume those players have been granted a waiver by the League Office? If they do not have a waiver, what is the penalty to the Academy club?

In the state of Florida, FHSAA explicitly prohibits athletic recruiting. My understanding is the only way USDA would allow an exemption is if the high school soccer was tied to a requirement for a school scholarship. Since this is not permissible in Florida by FHSAA (36.2.3), there should be no Florida-based Academy players eligible for the USDA exemption to play High School soccer.

I don't know what the penalty is to clubs; however, I seriously doubt any Florida-based Academy clubs would intentionally violate USDA policies.

Comment

I now see Academy rostered players also playing high school soccer. Shall I assume those players have been granted a waiver by the League Office? If they do not have a waiver, what is the penalty to the Academy club?
      As is set out in post #164, the USDA regulations prohibit DA players who chose to play high school soccer, without having obtained a waiver, from participating in any remaining DA activities and from returning to their DA team after the high school season. Because it has no control over the decisions of its adult players or the parent decisions of its minor players, there is no regulation which penalizes the DA club and, as a practical matter, its only penalty is the loss of those players who chose to play high school soccer for the remainder of the DA season.

From the USDA website:

"Overall, only one per cent of all players currently playing high school soccer are involved in the Development Academy...Every player has a choice to play high school soccer or play in the Development Academy...We are talking about a group of players who want to continue at the next level, whether that is professional or college, which is still the destination for a majority of our graduates...

We understand there may be unique situations for a small population of players, such as those in certain private schools, and we are willing to discuss different options so they can participate in the Academy..."

Comment

Yes but in truth there is maybe 2-3 very outstanding players and for the others who don't play much it is sad. they need to really question if any college is going to look at them. No is the answer. some should go back to high school the more you play and help the team no matter where the better chance you have of being seen as good. the truth.

Comment

Yes but in truth there is maybe 2-3 very outstanding players and for the others who don't play much it is sad. they need to really question if any college is going to look at them. No is the answer. some should go back to high school the more you play and help the team no matter where the better chance you have of being seen as good. the truth.
          While a lower percentage of DA players will play DI soccer, a majority of DA players will probably play on DII, DIII, NAIA and JuCo teams. Yes, DA players could easily shine as high school players. However, college coaches have said they only attended high school games to show their interest in players already on their radar. Even though it is not the only one, the DA program is currently the best path to men's college soccer.

Comment

While a lower percentage of DA players will play DI soccer, a majority of DA players will probably play on DII, DIII, NAIA and JuCo teams. Yes, DA players could easily shine as high school players. However, college coaches have said they only attended high school games to show their interest in players already on their radar. Even though it is not the only one, the DA program is currently the best path to men's college soccer.
            U18 teams graduate approximately 14 players per team x 80 teams. That is less than the amount of d1 freshman college players. Do the math. Most starters on a DA team can play D1 soccer.

Comment

D1 college coaches stopped attending HS games a long time ago. You might find a few at the older age state cup tourney but only second tier.....all others pluck from the DA.

Comment

You are right, you know what is best for these players. Maybe the high school some of the players are attending have terrible teams, with unskilled players who never played soccer, coaches who are Math teachers using a book to run practice. It is a personal choice. High school can be a great experience, for some but not for others. Some people are only happy if they are trying to convince others to make the same decision they did. Live and let live. There are no right or wrong choices, whatever works for your kid.

Comment

U18 teams graduate approximately 14 players per team x 80 teams. That is less than the amount of d1 freshman college players. Do the math. Most starters on a DA team can play D1 soccer.
                  My "math" included the significant number of foreign players being recruited by DI schools, there being DA players who turn down DI opportunities in favor of better financial packages at DII schools and there being DA players who can't afford to attend DI schools with the financial packages they were offered.

Even though I am a fan of the program and acknowledge that a greater number of DA players are capable of performing at that level, less than half of its players will leave the DA program and play DI college soccer.

Comment

having a family member that is at a D1 school and was athletic director for a time said that most the kids they are taking first are foreign. then they give part package to others. No full rides. D2 same no big full rides just very few scholarships are there. D3 doesn't have scholarships it is really just funding so be ready.

Comment

Nobody. Based on the USDA rules and regulations:

Academy players who are attending private schools can play high school soccer for their private school, if that player is on scholarship at the private school to play soccer. However, most of the private schools don't last too long into the soccer season, so the number of games these players miss is minimal is the grand scheme of the entire season of 40+ games.

Comment

My "math" included the significant number of foreign players being recruited by DI schools, there being DA players who turn down DI opportunities in favor of better financial packages at DII schools and there being DA players who can't afford to attend DI schools with the financial packages they were offered.

Even though I am a fan of the program and acknowledge that a greater number of DA players are capable of performing at that level, less than half of its players will leave the DA program and play DI college soccer.
                        As mentioned here before there are more colleges than their are DA's to fill spots in those colleges. If your kid truly wants to play at a college, there are plenty of opportunities to play. With that being said, there is hardly any free rides in soccer (or many of the sports). You are better off receiving academic money than athletic money since athletic money is year to year and does not have to be renewed. You also have more flexibility with academic money since many players burn out if you are realistically going to college to actually learn its difficult to play and keep your studies. If this happens you can just quit and still have your money.

Comment

...You are better off receiving academic money than athletic money since athletic money is year to year and does not have to be renewed. You also have more flexibility with academic money since many players burn out if you are realistically going to college to actually learn its difficult to play and keep your studies. If this happens you can just quit and still have your money.
                          Good DI coaches are offering and seeking early commitments from DA players who will receive more athletic scholarship money than they could otherwise be offered in athletic scholarship money. If players have good enough grades and test scores to receive academic scholarships and will verbally commit early enough, the maximum number of 9.9 athletic scholarships available for a roster of some 30 players can then be carved into more favorable per player increments. With enough players on academic scholarships, and with some of them receiving more than others, most players on a fully-funded DI college soccer team could receive scholarship offers for more than 30% of a full ride.

Comment

Good DI coaches are offering and seeking early commitments from DA players who will receive more athletic scholarship money than they could otherwise be offered in athletic scholarship money. If players have good enough grades and test scores to receive academic scholarships and will verbally commit early enough, the maximum number of 9.9 athletic scholarships available for a roster of some 30 players can then be carved into more favorable per player increments. With enough players on academic scholarships, and with some of them receiving more than others, most players on a fully-funded DI college soccer team could receive scholarship offers for more than 30% of a full ride.
                            Sorry, my mistake. The very first reference to "athletic" should instead say "academic."

Comment

Well I guess the showcase didnt go so well for a few teams. What happened to Weston and Kendall? They both need to over haul the teams I guess because I dont think next year will be any better.

Comment

Well I guess the showcase didnt go so well for a few teams. What happened to Weston and Kendall? They both need to over haul the teams I guess because I dont think next year will be any better.
                                I believe each got 4 points, for sure not the level of last year but decent enough for teams that are playing with a lot of 99's. Next year we will be back in the top 5 with out any doubt; how was your weekend ? How many episodes of the kardashians You got to watch with your kid ?

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X