Is DA worth the money

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Everyone knows the Recs are one of the worst academies. They still benefit by avoiding getting beat by non MLS teams regularly.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      DA boys headed to:

Georgetown
      Stanford
      Harvard
      BC
      Providence
      I bet those schools (and better ones) will still have as many it more internationals. Guess which players are getting most of those 9.9?

Comment

Most DA programs are free. Gps is the only club I know who have charged players to play Da.

Although I’m not surprised given the recent publicity about them.
        Most MLS Da .... Fixed that for ya .... Most non MLS still pay a fortune.

Comment

Oh, OK. We'll just send her to private school. Great idea. I had saved for college, but I guess I'll just spend in private school instead....

You got out of your way to say how weak DA is, then say "if the daughter doesn't make DA"...well, I guess we are talking about a pretty terrible player this is, no?
          You can pay 10k for GDA but not a decent private school near you?

Comment

Oh, OK. We'll just send her to private school. Great idea. I had saved for college, but I guess I'll just spend in private school instead....

You got out of your way to say how weak DA is, then say "if the daughter doesn't make DA"...well, I guess we are talking about a pretty terrible player this is, no?
            Private schools have attractive packages for athletes. It is when the recruiting starts.

Comment

Private schools have attractive packages for athletes. It is when the recruiting starts.
              The fact that he is not aware shows the level of play his kid is at. You can say how good your kid is but when money is on the line, is she being offered any of it? Paying to play and being a part of a decent club team happens for lots of kids .... Getting paid to play does not.

Comment

Well, I don't pay 10K for GDA and our public school is a fantastic school.

Comment

The fact that he is not aware shows the level of play his kid is at. You can say how good your kid is but when money is on the line, is she being offered any of it? Paying to play and being a part of a decent club team happens for lots of kids .... Getting paid to play does not.
                  It is distinctly possible that I have simply not been on the receiving end of those calls. My experience with ISL schools and what felt like a highly pursued player was that coach can offer admission, which has value, but aid is entirely need based. Yes, great athletes get great scholarships to ISL schools, but their parents either make less than $140K, or have a mechanism to make themselves appear that way.

With income in the low $200s, and other kids in school/college there is some aid, but it is still a need-based calculation. Harsh truth for many in metro Boston is that $250K+ won't get you much aid, but it doesn't mean you don't need it. ISL is a lot like NESCAC - lots of families talking about "packages" the coach put together for their kid, but I think it's the same packaging tool available to all once they get through admissions.

Comment

Have you priced decent private schools in New England, let alone prep schools? Much cheaper to just move to a better school district. No one should be picking schools because of school. It should all be academic-based.

Comment

Have you priced decent private schools in New England, let alone prep schools? Much cheaper to just move to a better school district. No one should be picking schools because of sports. It should all be academic-based.
                      oops....fixed it

Comment

You truly don’t understand the benefits of a prep school.

Comment

You’re being disingenuous about the total costs of DA. Club fees, uniforms, travel for league games that require flying/hotel/rental cars, travel to showcases and tournaments that require the same. Even if you have a scholarship on the club fees, travel is still on you and amounts to several thousand dollars over the course of the year.

All in, easy $10G. Only DA club that doesn’t cost that much is Revs, which is fully funded. FYI, ECNL costs as much or more.

Comment

You’re being disingenuous about the total costs of DA. Club fees, uniforms, travel for league games that require flying/hotel/rental cars, travel to showcases and tournaments that require the same. Even if you have a scholarship on the club fees, travel is still on you and amounts to several thousand dollars over the course of the year.

All in, easy $10G. Only DA club that doesn’t cost that much is Revs, which is fully funded. FYI, ECNL costs as much or more.
                            Yes only the MLS clubs are free. With the Revs you "pay" with poor coaching and managerial disinterest in anyone but their pro prospects. However, $10K is too high. $7K-$8 is more like it. Same with most ECNL teams. If you're willing to send your player with other families (taking turns) then the costs are less than that. Obviously that is out of reach for a lot of families. But soccer in America is a sport for the middle and upper class. Private or prep schools are certainly out of reach for even more. Prep school costs as much as college and plenty of private HS are in the mid 40s.

Comment

You truly don’t understand the benefits of a prep school.
                              You truly don't understand that many players won't get enough financial assistance to make it workable for family budgets. Then pay club fees and travel on top of that? That is a route only for a small percentage. MA has very good schools overall (if you've ever lived on other US states you'd see that and statistics bear it out) and many top notch school districts inside of that. Prep school also just isn't appealing to some kids. If your kid wants that kind of environment and your family can afford it, great.

Comment

Yes only the MLS clubs are free. With the Revs you "pay" with poor coaching and managerial disinterest in anyone but their pro prospects. However, $10K is too high. $7K-$8 is more like it. Same with most ECNL teams. s.
                                Only speaking for girls. i think $10k is a more reasonable number for budgeting DA/ECNL and even NPL. I believe you when you say it can be done for less, i just don’t think most families want to miss every other showcase, stay outside of the team hotel, or skip the sweatshirt. Then there’s Panera... sneaky expensive

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X