Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If participation is down why do clubs seem to be growing?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Yeah, hockey, track and field, lacrosse, volleyball, softball...

When you talk about participation, those millions of players include really young kids who are more into Disney than watching adult sports. Even older kids are too busy with activities, including soccer, and homework to spend time watching games on TV or live. And there is the programming itself; very little soccer is televised at all and when it is, it’s not at a convenient time for kids to watch (late on a school night or on Saturdays when they are having their own games, etc.) A huge % of youth soccer players are girls who really want to see women play, but NWSL and USWNT games are rarely televised. Frankly, adults watch soccer and other sports for entertainment, but to ask kids to watch it as education is nonsense. Most kids, even if they are really into soccer, do not have the attention span or interest to learn much from it.
    True. My TV is locked every Saturday & Sunday AM from 7-1:00. My daughter, when she finally climbs out of bed, will watch a little. But, with so little free time she on her phone with her friends or doing something else. That's cool. Anything of interest that applies to her position/role I record and she'll watch it later.

Comment

I think they are fans of the sport but are not fans of us soccer. The majority of players are not flying around on planes to soccer tournaments. Most can afford it through school sports and they love it. But they don't love it when us soccer tells them they suck.
      True dat. There definitely is a signal sent to kids - by HS it's "unless you're in the top "whatever" league you shouldn't even bother." The high cost and travel helps seal the deal.

Comment

Is there any other sport quite like soccer where the participation is as high as it is, but the kids playing the sport couldn't care less about it in terms of being a typical fan, watching it on TV or go to watch it in person (college or pro)? This has always struck me as a major problem and US Soccer is so out to lunch on dealing with it.
        Soccer still pales in comparison in participation and certainly viewership/attendance to the major US sports. If your family and friends are watching football/basketball/baseball, what's the likelihood you're going to also? Pretty darned high.

Comment

True dat. There definitely is a signal sent to kids - by HS it's "unless you're in the top "whatever" league you shouldn't even bother." The high cost and travel helps seal the deal.
          It is so obnoxious. I get why the leagues and clubs play the "all others are not worthy" game to try to market themselves. But is US soccer is to be an ambassador for soccer and promote the sport, they should get get out of the this sport is only for soccer princesses at the soccer country club game.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
          Auto-Saved
          x
          Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
          x
          Working...
          X