Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Greatest players of all time

Let me preface this thread by stating that opinions are like a s s h o l e s, everyone has one, so let the bashing begin. These are the best players I've seen play in the last 40+ years.

1. Pele. The Babe Ruth of soccer.

2. Messi. Inching closer to #1

3. Maradona. Used to be #2

4. Johan Cruyff. Favorite player growing up. A legend

5. Franz Beckenbauer. Der Kaiser was the puppet master in his time. He revolutionized or better yet, invented the attacking defender.

6. Zinedine Zidane. The complete package

The first 6 are easy. This is where it starts getting a little more difficult.

7. Ronaldo. The original Ronaldo. Pure scoring machine.

8. Cristiano Ronaldo. Hate to admit it because he's so cocky, but the guy is real good.

9. Gerd Muller. The experts will say Eusebio from Portugal belongs here, but I never really saw him play.

10.Xavi Hernandez. Architect of one of the greatest club team of all time and national team of all time.

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Let me preface this thread by stating that opinions are like a s s h o l e s, everyone has one, so let the bashing begin. These are the best players I've seen play in the last 40+ years.

5. Franz Beckenbauer. Der Kaiser was the puppet master in his time. He revolutionized or better yet, invented the attacking defender.

8. Cristiano Ronaldo. Hate to admit it because he's so cocky, but the guy is real good.

9. Gerd Muller. The experts will say Eusebio from Portugal belongs here, but I never really saw him play.

10.Xavi Hernandez. Architect of one of the greatest club team of all time and national team of all time.
    George Best- the man Pele says was the best ever.

Comment

George Best- the man Pele says was the best ever.
      You must be as drunk as Best always was.

Comment

Why was I not mentioned here? I'm one of the greatest Playaaahhhs of all time!!!

Comment

Good list. Does Messi move to #1 if he wins a World Cup? Cause he would for me.

Comment

Good list. Does Messi move to #1 if he wins a World Cup? Cause he would for me.
            He should...

Comment

Really? Pele's 3 World Cup wins. A long career where yellows may not even be called common fouls. Racism of the period. Not even close.

Comment

World

Really? Pele's 3 World Cup wins. A long career where yellows may not even be called common fouls. Racism of the period. Not even close.
                Pele??? He was good, but how many of those three world cups, did he actually play. He was part of the team, but lets not forget those who made him shine, it was not just a one man show, wasn't he injured for two of them?

Comment

In one he only had a goal and an assist before being injured. The first and last he was a huge part. Aside from scoring the most collective goals ever. Defender said "I told myself before the game he is skin and bones like everyone else-I was wrong." Scored a hat trick at 17 in the semis of his first WC. Come on man.

Comment

Pele??? He was good, but how many of those three world cups, did he actually play. He was part of the team, but lets not forget those who made him shine, it was not just a one man show, wasn't he injured for two of them?
                    Very true. But he was still a class above the rest of the world. It doesn't matter what stats a player has to pass him. Its not about that. I think he is the original GOAT. As some one stated: He is the Babe Ruth of soccer. Many players have passed Ruth. But he is still the greatest. Stats will always be broken. It should NEVER be solely about stats.

BTW, its not an insult to say Messi is a close second. Or a close third behind Maradona. We should look at the greatest 3-5 players of all time. And who cares what order those 5 are in. But for sake of argument, Pele is the GOAT.

Also, if it was about stats, Batistuta had more international goals than Maradona. Yet he's not even close to him. So lets just enjoy Messi as he is one of the 5 (or 3) greatest players of all time.

Comment

All I know is that 2 out of 3 best players of all time are from Argentina....

Comment

All I know is that 2 out of 3 best players of all time are from Argentina....
                        Unfortunately

Comment

Ronaldinho is the most enjoyable player I have ever seen...the guy played the game with such joy and happiness.

Comment

Unfortunately
                            Yep, unfortunately for you, but really fortunate for me. You're probably from one of those Latin countries that's never won any titles and are really jealous of a soccer powerhouse like Argentina. But it's OK, just keep watching us from the comfort of your living room...

Comment

Let's not forget the freakin 20 pound waterlogged leather ball that the pre-80's players had to use, the lack of quality pitches, and the footwear.

If Pele or any of the old timers had the quality equipment and surfaces of today, some of the records could be unreachable.

Let's not forget:
                              DiStefano
                              Puskas
                              Boniek
                              Yashin
                              Kaaaaaaaahn!
                              Gunther Netzer....known as the best passer of all time.
                              Zoff

Yeah, I understand you might not think so, but they all were great.
                              Love the OP list.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X