X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Raking ball from goalie

Hypothetical situation.

The ball is rolling toward the goalie. The goalie runs up to grab it. At the same time, the striker is running forward to shoot the ball. They reach the ball at the same time and the goalie reaches down to grab it as the forward get's their foot to the ball. How aggressively can the forward try to rake it out of the goalie's hands? What are the finer points on what's allowable? Is it considered bad form to even attempt to rake it sideways as long as it's not an aggressive rake? We are talking youth soccer here, but I'm just wondering what's acceptable and what is not.

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Hypothetical situation.

The ball is rolling toward the goalie. The goalie runs up to grab it. At the same time, the striker is running forward to shoot the ball. They reach the ball at the same time and the goalie reaches down to grab it as the forward get's their foot to the ball. How aggressively can the forward try to rake it out of the goalie's hands? What are the finer points on what's allowable? Is it considered bad form to even attempt to rake it sideways as long as it's not an aggressive rake? We are talking youth soccer here, but I'm just wondering what's acceptable and what is not.
    I guess it is a timing thing. If the keeper has the ball in his hands, the forward cannot contested. If the forward touches the ball before the keeper had control of the ball with his hands, then it's all good. Keepers are protected to some extent, so the call usually goes their way.

Comment

Hypothetical situation.

Goalie must have control for it to be called a foul on the forward. Judgement call by the referee as to whether the goalie has control or not.

No it's not in bad form, unless it becomes dangerous.

Comment

Goalie must have control for it to be called a foul on the forward. Judgement call by the referee as to whether the goalie has control or not.

No it's not in bad form, unless it becomes dangerous.
        As a parent of GK I can say it often is dangerous. Countless smashed/jammed fingers from kicks to the hands, kicks to the head...he's got more balls than I have.

Comment

As a parent of GK I can say it often is dangerous. Countless smashed/jammed fingers from kicks to the hands, kicks to the head...he's got more balls than I have.
          My youngest daughter is a goalie too. A goalie with no smashed/jammed fingers isn't really a goalie.

Comment

My youngest daughter is a goalie too. A goalie with no smashed/jammed fingers isn't really a goalie.
            True that. It's a badge of honor. I was one back in the day. Pretty sure I broke every finger. I'm paying for it now though.

Comment

law 12

A goalkeeper is considered to be in control of the ball when:

• the ball is between the hands or between the hand and any surface (e.g.
              ground, own body) or by touching it with any part of the hands or arms
              except if the ball rebounds accidentally from the goalkeeper or the
              goalkeeper has made a save

• holding the ball in the outstretched open hand

• bouncing it on the ground or throwing it in the air

A goalkeeper cannot be challenged by an opponent when in control of
              the ball with the hands.

Comment

law 12

A goalkeeper is considered to be in control of the ball when:

• the ball is between the hands or between the hand and any surface (e.g.
                ground, own body) or by touching it with any part of the hands or arms
                except if the ball rebounds accidentally from the goalkeeper or the
                goalkeeper has made a save

• holding the ball in the outstretched open hand

• bouncing it on the ground or throwing it in the air

A goalkeeper cannot be challenged by an opponent when in control of
                the ball with the hands.
                Rules and then reality - players still swipe at the ball even when a GK is in possession and often times it's hard for the ref to see what is going on.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered
                  what if STRAWmen RAKE smoking haye$WITCHourly BROOM$ticklerASH COFFINear TRICK?!

what if HAYNEStrip smoke SKELTON BONE$trap DEVIL$hop DEMON$hip HAUNTED HOUSE?!

what if BATmen smoking CAVErn$HIP $HOPlayers MAIDEN$ly spyinGAMESlump GROAN$pit?!

what if DARKnight MARE$hip MULE$hop smoky BLUE LIGHT SPECIAL TOYLAND SHAFTingle?!

what if SPECIAL K SERIAL BOXER$pit use BRIEF$tag smoking APPLE FREIGHTax CAR$wing?!

what if VAMPire$HOW smoking WOLFman GHOSTrain MONSTER SAND$witch SAND BOXER?!
                  I like YOU!

Is your mother into black dudes?

Comment

As another keeper parent, I agree that it's often dangerous.

Comment

As another keeper parent, I agree that it's often dangerous.
                      Mine has had blows to head, hands and body multiple times. Most times neither side is at fault - it's simple physics that players can't stop on a dime.

Comment

My player was on a break away 2 years ago. 1v1 with the keeper. Coach yelled at goalie to come out of the box and challenge the ball. Goalie ran full speed, jumped with both feet out, studs up. Aimed for the player, not the ball. Broke my players left leg immediately. Blew both lower bones right out of the skin. Trauma alert and airlifted to surgery from the field. Missed a full year from rehab. Still has problems. Opposing coach congratulated the keeper on technique. Not even an apology. Saw the same thing at a following game. That player got a concussion. F*ck the goalie.

Comment

My player was on a break away 2 years ago. 1v1 with the keeper. Coach yelled at goalie to come out of the box and challenge the ball. Goalie ran full speed, jumped with both feet out, studs up. Aimed for the player, not the ball. Broke my players left leg immediately. Blew both lower bones right out of the skin. Trauma alert and airlifted to surgery from the field. Missed a full year from rehab. Still has problems. Opposing coach congratulated the keeper on technique. Not even an apology. Saw the same thing at a following game. That player got a concussion. F*ck the goalie.
                          Sorry that happened to your kid but that doesn't mean all GK act that way, not even close. We had an opposing field player that flattened our GK to the ground resulting in a skull fracture, kid was f'd up for a very long time, missed months of school and won't graduate on time. Do I think all field players are dirty? Of course not.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                          Auto-Saved
                          x
                          Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                          x
                          Working...
                          X