Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Not enough tried out for Thorns to post U15/U17 selections???

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Commits

lease update the list below as needed. I am sure that it has changed and some are unaccounted for. If your argument is that the Thorns commits formerly played ECNL or OYSA, ask yourself why they left? If the ECNL is so elite, why are they not dominating below? Based on the rhetoric from the previous posters in multiple threads, you would think that there is a clear advantage to the ECNL but the #'s do not support this argument. Seems like there are at least three good options for girls in the Portland metro area. Anyone arguing against any of the three probably are employed by one of the other clubs/academies or are a frustrated parent trying to justify the $ that they are shelling out. The truth is that everyone listed below should be proud. Naysayers can continue with their miserable existence.

Commits NLI day

FCP: 6-D1 1-D2 1-D3 1-NAIA Total=8
    Laura S**** FC Portland College of Idaho NAIA
    Sidney E*********** FC Portland Eastern Washington University D1
    Maya F************ FC Portland Georgetown University D1
    Lindsay L****** FC Portland Marshall University D1
    Alexis M**** FC Portland Monmouth University D1
    Claire D**** FC Portland Northern Arizona University D1
    Eden W**** FC Portland Santa Clara University D1
    Abigail A******* FC Portland Seattle Pacific University D2
    Chantal R**** FC Portland Swarthmore College D3

CU: 6-D1 2-D2 2-D3 Total=10
    Katelyn P**** Crossfire United Biola University D2
    Lauren A**** Crossfire United Boston University D1
    Jaycee I******* Crossfire United Grand Canyon Univeristy D1
    Sammy S**** Crossfire United Humboldt State University D2
    Ariel M**** Crossfire United Linfield College D3
    Helena B**** Crossfire United oregon State University D1
    Madison E***** Crossfire United Oregon State University D1
    Brooke B****** Crossfire United Pitzer College D3
    Ally T********* Crossfire United San Jose State University D1
    Jordan W****** Crossfire United University of Oregon D1

TA: 6-D1 3-D2 3-D3 1-NAIA Total=13
    Portland Thorns FC Perrin B*** Grand Canyon University D1
    Portland Thorns FC Sophia B**** Gonzaga University D1
    Portland Thorns FC Phoebe B*** Pacific Lutheran University D3
    Portland Thorns FC Sydney C*** University of California, Berkeley D1
    Portland Thorns FC Tana E** Humbolt State University D2
    Portland Thorns FC Brooklyn J**** University of Utah D1
    Portland Thorns FC Amber J**** George Fox University D3
    Portland Thorns FC Taylor M**** Seattle Pacific University D2
    Portland Thorns FC Kiani P***** Southern Oregon University NAIA
    Portland Thorns FC Trinity P**** University of Washington D1
    Portland Thorns FC Mya P**** Regis University D3
    Portland Thorns FC Madison S**** Concordia University D2
    Portland Thorns FC Emma T**** University of California, Berkeley D1

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      Good preparation for the business world. You got fight everyday or you will be eaten up by m people who are more hungry.
      Dog eat dog.

Comment

Are you serious? USA is nothing like Europe. Especially on the women’s side.

The lack of intelligence and wisdom based on historical evidence is overwhelming.
        Thank you for this amazing wisdom....

Comment

You're right. All those European academies should stop training so often. The results just aren't there.
          What we really need are coaches with European accents.

Comment

The drama is why I would stay away. Parents and kids.
            The thorns parents I know are pretty intense. But that just reflects the competitive nature. That’s what you want in the athletes.

Comment

The thorns parents I know are pretty intense. But that just reflects the competitive nature. That’s what you want in the athletes.
              Was it calls to the owner and GM from riled up parents that got the Timbers kids soccer staff to finally dump the thorns on westside?

Comment

You said Thorns parents are very intense, then you mentioned something about athletes. You ever notice the parents of kids who were athletes when they were younger, (College or above) are actually not very intense? It is because they have situational awareness. They understand this isn't a really big deal. Just saying.

Comment

Spot on

Comment

You said Thorns parents are very intense, then you mentioned something about athletes. You ever notice the parents of kids who were athletes when they were younger, (College or above) are actually not very intense? It is because they have situational awareness. They understand this isn't a really big deal. Just saying.
                    Very true and spot on. Any parent who played college sports is not as into it. They know that there isn't a pot of gold at the other end of the rainbow. I didn't play sports in college, but know plenty of people who did play D1 and it is a full-time job. You miss out on a lot academically (unless you are incredibly disciplined) and socially. Perhaps that's why those parents have a good perspective?

Comment

Very true and spot on. Any parent who played college sports is not as into it. They know that there isn't a pot of gold at the other end of the rainbow. I didn't play sports in college, but know plenty of people who did play D1 and it is a full-time job. You miss out on a lot academically (unless you are incredibly disciplined) and socially. Perhaps that's why those parents have a good perspective?
                      I wouldn't say not into it, or not intense. It is likely that college or professional athletes are less affected by athletic-induced stress that others show outwardly. I think you realize there isn't some magical formula that will get your kid into a program other than putting in the work. Ultimately it is all about how they perform in camps, big tournaments, and the classroom. I disagree on missing out on the social side. Many of my best friends were college teammates. And on the academic side, it is nice to have access to a tutoring center when needed.

Comment

Agreed.

I do want to discuss one comment you made.

"You miss out on a lot academically (unless you are incredibly disciplined) and socially."

There are several components for today's collegiate athletes to be academically and socially involved in their school. School athletic progams often include study time and access to tutors. Reminder here that a specific GPA must be maintained in order to play. The NCAA CARA rule has daily/weekly time limits for playing and practice seasons. The intention is to ensure that these students have time away from training and games to devote to coursework and socialization. Yes! No matter the school, discipline is the key to academic success for any college student.

Comment

Agreed.

I do want to discuss one comment you made.

"You miss out on a lot academically (unless you are incredibly disciplined) and socially."

There are several components for today's collegiate athletes to be academically and socially involved in their school. School athletic progams often include study time and access to tutors. Reminder here that a specific GPA must be maintained in order to play. The NCAA CARA rule has daily/weekly time limits for playing and practice seasons. The intention is to ensure that these students have time away from training and games to devote to coursework and socialization. Yes! No matter the school, discipline is the key to academic success for any college student.
                          My point, albeit lost in my imprecise language, was that the pressure to maintain that GPA coupled with the time commitment of playing, traveling and practicing, make it difficult to major in something that is what we might think of as more marketable in today's 21st century economy, i.e., STEM, computer science, etc. That collegiate athlete is rare, but not unheard of. There may be plenty of study time and tutors, I just don't get the impression that D1 athletes are encouraged to do anything other than stay eligible. So, as you said discipline is the key.

Comment

My point, albeit lost in my imprecise language, was that the pressure to maintain that GPA coupled with the time commitment of playing, traveling and practicing, make it difficult to major in something that is what we might think of as more marketable in today's 21st century economy, i.e., STEM, computer science, etc. That collegiate athlete is rare, but not unheard of. There may be plenty of study time and tutors, I just don't get the impression that D1 athletes are encouraged to do anything other than stay eligible. So, as you said discipline is the key.
                            It is interesting and great to see players doing well in college, especially within STEM. These are the same students who did as well in high school, with some already having taken UG courses while in high school.

Inquiries into the support and encouragement factors should be made during the recruiting process. Nowadays schools offer online course options so student athletes can get classes they want or need. It's also great to see participation in study abroad programs, especially since more schools are begining to require SA. -Someone could be a business and marketing major, become part of a cohort representing different disciplines, work on a social justice project, and in turn, become an entreprenuer. (I know a player who did this and garnered major recognition for an engineered device used in African villages.)

Too many people judge players for their college choices. I've known plenty of players who were capable of thriving in DI schools but opted for other divisions for other reasons, such as multi-sport interests or specific academic programs. These players sucessfully handled high school AP coursework, tested well, demonstrated leadership and community support, while catching the eye of the DIs fom around the country.

Comment

Was it calls to the owner and GM from riled up parents that got the Timbers kids soccer staff to finally dump the thorns on westside?
                              Eastside website references them being the Thorns now too?

Comment

Eastside website references them being the Thorns now too?
                                "For Immediate Release:
                                Eastside Thorns FC to launch for the 2018-19 OYSA Season
                                Eastside Timbers is proud to announce our partnership with Portland Thorns FC, as our girls competitive program becomes Eastside Thorns FC. "

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X