Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Running on the beach, through waves, and up and down berms; running at Mt Tabor or in Forest Park. (Last part reminded me of my daughter's Jesuit team runs.)

Tahuichi training was much more brutal, ut Cony definitely uses the Tahuichi Way here.
    Ah yes, the steps from Reservoir 6 to Reservoir 5....

Comment

Ah yes, the steps from Reservoir 6 to Reservoir 5....
      Nice try. Why don't you join them next time?

Comment

Nice try. Why don't you join them next time?
        Done those stairs before. Not fun.

Comment

Why not? Everyone plays Eastside. Everyone has the same opportunity to up their goal count against Eastside.

You're welcome.
          Developmental mindset of FC...I am guessing he played the whole game and a good coach would have either subbed him out and given some bench players some run and not embarrass eastside even more

Comment

Developmental mindset of FC...I am guessing he played the whole game and a good coach would have either subbed him out and given some bench players some run and not embarrass eastside even more
            Bad ASSumption.
            FC was pretty low on subs. Moved him to play defense, though.
            Now let’s check to see if FC were the only team to score multiples.

Comment

Wrong. his goals were all scored in the first half and he got moved to play center back in the second half. FC only had one sub
              I say great job by FC coaches developing the boys in different positions!

Comment

Done those stairs before. Not fun.
                Don't forget other components of training:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFOXXhChbjQ

Comment

Don't forget other components of training:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFOXXhChbjQ
                  Westside training is nothing like Taihuichi. It approximates it in a few ways--the June trip to Pacific City is a longstanding club tradition--but there's no river running or anything like that.

Most of the training time is spent on skills, not fitness, endurance, or agility.

Comment

Westside training is nothing like Taihuichi. It approximates it in a few ways--the June trip to Pacific City is a longstanding club tradition--but there's no river running or anything like that.

Most of the training time is spent on skills, not fitness, endurance, or agility.
                    He changes it up every year and fitness and endurance are definitely part of the training.

Comment

He changes it up every year and fitness and endurance are definitely part of the training.
                      But not the majority.

I think we're largely in agreement--if your kid at Westside, he will get plenty of exercise. MOST practice time, however, is not fitness activities, it's soccer. Often times the fitness is done at special events at the zoo or somewhere, not on the soccer field.

Nothing I've seen this year is remotely excessive or age-inappropriate, or beyond what can be expected of a reasonably-athletic 12-year-old. I know that some believe that any training time without a ball is wasted, and that match fitness can be achieved solely with skills training and scrimmaging. I won't get into that argument.

Comment

But not the majority.

I think we're largely in agreement--if your kid at Westside, he will get plenty of exercise. MOST practice time, however, is not fitness activities, it's soccer. Often times the fitness is done at special events at the zoo or somewhere, not on the soccer field.

Nothing I've seen this year is remotely excessive or age-inappropriate, or beyond what can be expected of a reasonably-athletic 12-year-old. I know that some believe that any training time without a ball is wasted, and that match fitness can be achieved solely with skills training and scrimmaging. I won't get into that argument.
                        It’s a scientific fact that any “extra” fitness work that is pre-pubescent is a waste of time. It does nothing. Besides, the best coaches can get a quality workout using the ball for the entire session.

Comment

It’s a scientific fact that any “extra” fitness work that is pre-pubescent is a waste of time. It does nothing. Besides, the best coaches can get a quality workout using the ball for the entire session.
                          It is also a scientific fact that any discussion of Westside, is good for at least an additional 10 posts from Westside supporters. 🤣

Comment

It is also a scientific fact that any discussion of Westside, is good for at least an additional 10 posts from Westside supporters. 🤣
                            If we want to catch the 01 girls, gotta go with what works...

Comment

We as Americans can no longer base anything on this so called "science" anymore per our dear leader. I call fake news on conditioning - plus its exercise.

Comment

We as Americans can no longer base anything on this so called "science" anymore per our dear leader. I call fake news on conditioning - plus its exercise.
                                The science on this subject isn't anywhere near as simple as various coaches would have you believe.

We've gone (and I'm talking about US soccer culture in general here, not any specific club) from a _Chariots of Fire_ mentality, where soccer players ARE trained more or less like distance runners, to a "no need to train without the ball, you get all the exercise you need playing and working on skills". The truth, to the extent we know it accurately, does depend on age and skill--and there are quite a few conditioning drills that are useful for soccer players (and the sorts of things that can't be done with a soccer ball). Eight-mile runs aren't among them, but ladder exercises, repeated sprints, and all sorts of other things are useful. (As is participation in other sports).

Speaking now of Westside--a key component of Taihuichi (and Westside) is sand training. Some beach running, some agility drills conducted on the beach, beach soccer (scrimmages and skills exercises), and yes, climbing the dune at Cape Kiwanda. And guess what? This sort of training is actually scientifically justified--the softer surface causes additional muscle groups to be exercised compared to running on turf or pavement, and reduces impacts on the muscles and bones, lessening recovery time. Since it requires a drive to the coast, it doesn't happen very often (once or twice a year, generally), but it's a quite useful way to train.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X