Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Yes , but it isn’t going to happen, they will start yelling racism, xenophobia etc etc, but if some sort of this were to happen , it would happen under the current administration which seems to be putting America and Americans first

Having been to matches over seas and in the US, what you are describing is indeed more likely overseas than than in the US. I have never heard the vial comments at any match here as abroad.

Comment

Half the mls draft were international players.

You are wrong and clearly you do not read all the post. The MLS link posted previously clearly shows that American players make up the vast majority of the MLS with Canada taking up a far second.

Most likely, they go back home to do whatever in the work force or become soccer coaches at clubs. Nothing better than an English accent to help loosen the check book at a club.

Comment

It's all about talent and without foreign players we will be even further down World ranking, more honestly a laughing stock.How many S Americans ,Africans, Asians & Euoropeans play at the top top level compared to Americans.Be honest with yourself.

Considering that most of the world considers our MLS the equivalent of a global rec team, playing here is more like plan b for for those players.

Comment

Considering that most of the world considers our MLS the equivalent of a global rec team, playing here is more like plan b for for those players.
          Of course it is, but these players still want to play soccer, even if it's MLS.

Comment

You are wrong and clearly you do not read all the post. The MLS link posted previously clearly shows that American players make up the vast majority of the MLS with Canada taking up a far second.
            not the op and I don't know if half were internatioanl, but many top picks were

"Young players from overseas have long used NCAA Soccer to prolong and relaunch their careers in the US. Last season, internationals like Abu Danladi (Minnesota United) and Julian Gressel (Atlanta United FC) came through the MLS SuperDraft to find success and make a difference with their respective clubs.

On Friday in Philadelphia, the 23 MLS clubs selected seven international players over the first fourteen picks in this year’s draft, then six more in the second round as teams hoped to find impact players from the collegiate ranks.

LAFC selected Portuguese defender Joao Mountinho out of Akron with the first overall pick, then sent $200,000 to DC United for the third selection, where the expansion side took defender Tristan Blackmon from the University of the Pacific.

All in all, players from Ghana (FCD’s MF Francis Atauhene from Michigan and FW Ema Twumasi of Wake Forest), Spain (Chicago’s FW Jon Bakero, also of the Demon Deacons and son of former Barcelona and Spanish international José Mari Bakero), England (The Fire’s MF Mo Adams from Syracuse), France (San Jose’s DF Paul Marie from Florida International) and Ireland (Atlanta’s F Jon Gallagher from Notre Dame) were selected in the first round.

Two internationals were also selected over the first five picks in the second round: Spanish Midfielder Pol Calvet Panellas of the University of Pittsburgh went to LAFC, and champions Toronto picked German midfielder/defender Tim Kubel out of Louisville.

Other foreign born second-round selections included a pair of picks from Atlanta: English Midfielder Oliver Shannon out of Clemson, and German forward Gordon Wild from Maryland. Chicago picked up Costa Rican Clemson Tiger Diego Campos, a defender/midfielder. Seattle grabbed Norweigian 6’5” defender Markus Fjortoft from Duke."
            http://americansoccernow.com/article...mls-superdraft

Comment

not the op and I don't know if half were internatioanl, but many top picks were

"Young players from overseas have long used NCAA Soccer to prolong and relaunch their careers in the US. Last season, internationals like Abu Danladi (Minnesota United) and Julian Gressel (Atlanta United FC) came through the MLS SuperDraft to find success and make a difference with their respective clubs.

On Friday in Philadelphia, the 23 MLS clubs selected seven international players over the first fourteen picks in this year’s draft, then six more in the second round as teams hoped to find impact players from the collegiate ranks.

LAFC selected Portuguese defender Joao Mountinho out of Akron with the first overall pick, then sent $200,000 to DC United for the third selection, where the expansion side took defender Tristan Blackmon from the University of the Pacific.

All in all, players from Ghana (FCD’s MF Francis Atauhene from Michigan and FW Ema Twumasi of Wake Forest), Spain (Chicago’s FW Jon Bakero, also of the Demon Deacons and son of former Barcelona and Spanish international José Mari Bakero), England (The Fire’s MF Mo Adams from Syracuse), France (San Jose’s DF Paul Marie from Florida International) and Ireland (Atlanta’s F Jon Gallagher from Notre Dame) were selected in the first round.

Two internationals were also selected over the first five picks in the second round: Spanish Midfielder Pol Calvet Panellas of the University of Pittsburgh went to LAFC, and champions Toronto picked German midfielder/defender Tim Kubel out of Louisville.

Other foreign born second-round selections included a pair of picks from Atlanta: English Midfielder Oliver Shannon out of Clemson, and German forward Gordon Wild from Maryland. Chicago picked up Costa Rican Clemson Tiger Diego Campos, a defender/midfielder. Seattle grabbed Norweigian 6’5” defender Markus Fjortoft from Duke."
              http://americansoccernow.com/article...mls-superdraft
              Interesting. Thanks.

Comment

While some of these foreign players are fantastic, others are no better or slightly worse than a lot of Americans who never get a sniff of playing in college. My sons club team scrimmaged a few college teams that were comprised of mainly foreigner and were quite competitive. We even won one of the games. This team of high school age players was able to compete against older foreigners, yet my son and only a handful of his teammates went onto to play in college. I can attest that there were many players on our club team never given an opportunity that were equal or better than these foreigners.

Comment

While some of these foreign players are fantastic, others are no better or slightly worse than a lot of Americans who never get a sniff of playing in college. My sons club team scrimmaged a few college teams that were comprised of mainly foreigner and were quite competitive. We even won one of the games. This team of high school age players was able to compete against older foreigners, yet my son and only a handful of his teammates went onto to play in college. I can attest that there were many players on our club team never given an opportunity that were equal or better than these foreigners.
                  And the excuses keep on coming

Comment

And the excuses keep on coming
                    I guess you can't read. No excuses given just stating facts.

Comment

I guess you can't read. No excuses given just stating facts.
                      How about other facets to your story:

What level of college team did your kid play against? Most likely very low level as most decent college programs wouldn't bother scrimmaging a HS team.

Effort: Do you really think a college team put it's best effort into a game against a HS team?

Who played: Did the college team play their top starters, or just use it as a way to give bench warmers some time on the field?

Knowledge: How can you "attest" that other players on your son's team were never given a chance because of foreign players? Were you sitting in every coach's office while the assessed player submitted video tapes or evaluated talent at an ID event?

Of course not every foreign player is top notch and some US kid will get missed. But by and large the talent wins the day, not country of origin.

Comment

How about other facets to your story:

What level of college team did your kid play against? Most likely very low level as most decent college programs wouldn't bother scrimmaging a HS team.

Effort: Do you really think a college team put it's best effort into a game against a HS team?

Who played: Did the college team play their top starters, or just use it as a way to give bench warmers some time on the field?

Knowledge: How can you "attest" that other players on your son's team were never given a chance because of foreign players? Were you sitting in every coach's office while the assessed player submitted video tapes or evaluated talent at an ID event?

Of course not every foreign player is top notch and some US kid will get missed. But by and large the talent wins the day, not country of origin.
                        They were NAIA schools which can certainly vary in quality. They have a lot less restrictions than NCAA so some NAIA schools are better than some D1 programs, but in regards to the teams we played I would say they were below the D2 level here in the state.

The only point here is that the teams were mostly foreign and not a huge difference between our club team (which was non DA but ranked in top 10 of state). I would imagine that they played a lot of non starters, but their non starters were all foreign.

There are certainly many foreign players that are better than most Americans or the coaches wouldn't recruit them. My only point is that not all the foreigners are fantastic and there are plenty of Americans that do not play in college that are on level with foreigners playing NAIA and D2.

Comment

They were NAIA schools which can certainly vary in quality. They have a lot less restrictions than NCAA so some NAIA schools are better than some D1 programs, but in regards to the teams we played I would say they were below the D2 level here in the state.

The only point here is that the teams were mostly foreign and not a huge difference between our club team (which was non DA but ranked in top 10 of state). I would imagine that they played a lot of non starters, but their non starters were all foreign.

There are certainly many foreign players that are better than most Americans or the coaches wouldn't recruit them. My only point is that not all the foreigners are fantastic and there are plenty of Americans that do not play in college that are on level with foreigners playing NAIA and D2.
                          The other issue is that a lot of kids don't have a desire to goto to a small NAIA or D2 school. Either due to the academic difference or missing out of the big university experience. For the men, there are limited D1 options especially ones that are in warm weather.

Comment

Survey of current MLS players shows most agree foreign players taking valuable developmental s spots from domestic talent and that this hurts US Soccer

http://www.espn.com/soccer/major-lea...-salaries-more

Comment

Survey of current MLS players shows most agree foreign players taking valuable developmental s spots from domestic talent and that this hurts US Soccer

From the survey we find this quote addressing question 2 ... "There's still too many spots filled by international players". This is current MLS players saying this. People who disagree tend to be racially rather than nationally motivated.

Comment

Is that because MLS is more interested in making money than developing US talent? I would say yes.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X