X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Agree.
    The Academy system is very difficult for us parents to understand fully. It requires an investment in the philosophy and time. We need to believe.
    One of the big issues is I don't think clubs adequately educate parents. Why are we doing this again? We need to know why we are doing this especially when we have other parents braging and flexing their egos over wins vs. development. It's tough. We're conditioned in our American culture to win at all costs. As said b4: It's the American way.
    So to ask parents, especially those that haven't played the game, to believe in the Academy philosophy while little Johnny or Susie is getting creamed by hand picked teams is difficult to do.
    I don't know what the answer is. Just not sure we have the staying power to allow the Academy system to play out. Unfortunately.
    I am not trying to argue just to argue because some of what you and others are saying I agree with. My point is this... I am not convinced that how you define Academy and how FCB or other systems define it are the same. I can 100% guarantee you that the "Academy" at Ajax does not put everyone who is willing to pay the $$ (or euro's) into the same pool of players and have the Cruyff's of the world playing alongside Johnny from Omaha. This, in my opinion, is the huge difference, they have a large pool of players, but only the best in the area and they play against each other. The best play against the best and get better that way, not the coach coaching down to the lowest common denominator.

If we can get the best to play with the best, not just the best of the players with the $$ playing with the mediocre who also have $$, then we are onto something.

One final note, if I was given the keys to a huge project from my company to increase productivity, training and output and I had nothing to show for it in 6 months, I would be joining the already crazy ranks of the unemployed. Again, expectations are too low, raise the bar and we will be on our way...

Comment

I am not trying to argue just to argue because some of what you and others are saying I agree with. My point is this... I am not convinced that how you define Academy and how FCB or other systems define it are the same. I can 100% guarantee you that the "Academy" at Ajax does not put everyone who is willing to pay the $$ (or euro's) into the same pool of players and have the Cruyff's of the world playing alongside Johnny from Omaha. This, in my opinion, is the huge difference, they have a large pool of players, but only the best in the area and they play against each other. The best play against the best and get better that way, not the coach coaching down to the lowest common denominator.

If we can get the best to play with the best, not just the best of the players with the $$ playing with the mediocre who also have $$, then we are onto something.

One final note, if I was given the keys to a huge project from my company to increase productivity, training and output and I had nothing to show for it in 6 months, I would be joining the already crazy ranks of the unemployed. Again, expectations are too low, raise the bar and we will be on our way...
      I don't see your comments as arguing. Your point is extremely valid.
      Our American Youth Soccer System seems to be very different then the rest of the world.
      Soccer is not the #1 sport here. Most US kids don't eat, breath and live soccer. Some do but not enough. We don't have a Pro team in every city that cultivates a die-hard life long following.
      Maybe we need to accept our system, with all its faults, and look to capitalize on the strengths and minimize the weaknesses? Knowing it's unique and not try to emulate a system that won't work here. In other words understand that we can't build "their" model so build one that works for us. I know, kinda 10,000 foot but better minds can and need to make it happen at ground level.

Comment

I don't see your comments as arguing. Your point is extremely valid.
        Our American Youth Soccer System seems to be very different then the rest of the world.
        Soccer is not the #1 sport here. Most US kids don't eat, breath and live soccer. Some do but not enough. We don't have a Pro team in every city that cultivates a die-hard life long following.
        Maybe we need to accept our system, with all its faults, and look to capitalize on the strengths and minimize the weaknesses? Knowing it's unique and not try to emulate a system that won't work here. In other words understand that we can't build "their" model so build one that works for us. I know, kinda 10,000 foot but better minds can and need to make it happen at ground level.
        Couldn't agree more. Now what?

:)

Comment

Couldn't agree more. Now what?

:)
          Well, if it's unique in a way that is good then why not. However, I'm not sure the uniqueness of our system is the right one. We can only do so much. There are other systems in other parts of the world that's been tried and tested. Copying it wouldn't be a bad idea.

Comment

Same coaches = Same results

And if with that big budget you did not bring in more TALENT why would yu expect better results?

Comment

$$$$

And if with that big budget you did not bring in more TALENT why would yu expect better results?
              The "Academy" style development isn't new to soccer. Most clubs in the world have had "Academies" or "Futbol Schools" feeding into their pro-system for ever. Argentina & Brazil have forever been feeding their "Academy or Futbol School" players to leagues worldwide. Mexico is now investing more money than ever into their "Academy's" (U17 World Champions, Olympic Gold, U20 3rd, etc, etc.) Don't be fooled....it's a business! Some programs (Barcelona) invest more money into their youth system hoping that the end result will net them more $. Not only do they reap the benefits from winning La Liga ($$$$) the Champions ($$$$) and all the marketing benefits that come with that...do you have a Barcelona jersey or t-shirt in your closet?! They also sell their youth players to other clubs...$$$.

No matter how you look at it, Timbers DA is a good thing for Oregon soccer. US players are in all levels and leagues in Europe. Maybe, just maybe, the investment in the DA for the Timbers pays off.

MP - take a serious look at your DA program...are you just fulfilling a MLS mandate or could you turn it into a money making proposition?!!

Comment

The "Academy" style development isn't new to soccer. Most clubs in the world have had "Academies" or "Futbol Schools" feeding into their pro-system for ever. Argentina & Brazil have forever been feeding their "Academy or Futbol School" players to leagues worldwide. Mexico is now investing more money than ever into their "Academy's" (U17 World Champions, Olympic Gold, U20 3rd, etc, etc.) Don't be fooled....it's a business! Some programs (Barcelona) invest more money into their youth system hoping that the end result will net them more $. Not only do they reap the benefits from winning La Liga ($$$$) the Champions ($$$$) and all the marketing benefits that come with that...do you have a Barcelona jersey or t-shirt in your closet?! They also sell their youth players to other clubs...$$$.

No matter how you look at it, Timbers DA is a good thing for Oregon soccer. US players are in all levels and leagues in Europe. Maybe, just maybe, the investment in the DA for the Timbers pays off.

MP - take a serious look at your DA program...are you just fulfilling a MLS mandate or could you turn it into a money making proposition?!!
                I again agree that there are some examples of successes with Academies, but why when speaking of these don't they talk about Academies that have failed? The word isn't the solution, it is how they do it in their culture that makes them successful. Why don't we mention the Austrian soccer academy in Vienna or the Academy in Instanbul?

Comment

Americans are winners, and we expect to win. If you can't provide results now get out of the way and let someone else get'er done.
                  Did LeBron need an academy to succeed? Drew Brees? Kerri Walsh? Why is soccer such a nerd sport that it needs to try and funnel kids through one path to success? ? I agree, Americans are winners! Lead, Follow, or get out of the way.

Comment

agree

The reason why we need academy coaches is so they can make money off the Portland Timbers for coaching youth soccer while continuing to collect money from the clubs of which they don’t have time to coach at so they can hire their friends to coach youth club soccer.
                    It there is a bigger consumer chump in America then the club soccer parent let me know.
                    PS I have ocean front property for sale in Arizona call me.

Comment

The reason why we need academy coaches is so they can make money off the Portland Timbers for coaching youth soccer while continuing to collect money from the clubs of which they don’t have time to coach at so they can hire their friends to coach youth club soccer.
                      It there is a bigger consumer chump in America then the club soccer parent let me know.
                      PS I have ocean front property for sale in Arizona call me.
                      How much?

Signed - FCSC Parent

Comment

Are we talking pro acadamies (Timbers DA) that feed into the pro system or academy style training at the yougest ages U6 - U? ????

Comment

I wanted to check the pulse of Oregon soccer. A lot of changes over the last few years, how is it working out? Do we need a course correction or should we continue down this road.

First: Competitive soccer is almost exclusively OPL. Are we better off, worse, or the same as with OYSA?

Second: Relative to competitive soccer the Portland Timbers have formed a three team alliance. How does this affect the club landscape? Was there a noticeable influx of youth players to these clubs or did it have the opposite effect?

Third: The Timbers have taken over boys and girls ODP. Better or worse:

Forth: MLS has mandated the Timbers have boys U-16 and U-18 academy programs. Only two games in but what is your perception. Are the Timbers on the right track?

Last: Over the last two years a major change to Portland soccer has been the Portland Timbers / MLS style. Has this been a positive or negative.

Other:
                          Everything is wonderful.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                          Auto-Saved
                          x
                          Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                          x
                          Working...
                          X