Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Goalkeepers- how long do you stick with it

I have a U14 son that plays on a mid level team and is the full time goalie. He has shown lots of promise BUT is short. Only 5’3”. Has not hit his growth spurt. Technically very strong. The question is whether or not he stays with goalie till his growth spurt or looks to play in the field. Has potential there but needs training/games. Curious what people think?

If he's only been doing GK he will be well behind his field playing teammates. Regardless a good GK requires good foot skills. The position isn't just about saves and booting the ball

But more important question is what is he passionate about? GK requires a lot of passion and touch of crazy. If he loves the position why give it up? If you and your spouse aren't terribly short he should be fine once he hits puberty. Good GKs don't have to be giants

GK parent

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      I have a U14 son that plays on a mid level team and is the full time goalie. He has shown lots of promise BUT is short. Only 5’3”. Has not hit his growth spurt. Technically very strong. The question is whether or not he stays with goalie till his growth spurt or looks to play in the field. Has potential there but needs training/games. Curious what people think?
      My first question is where does he see himself going with soccer? Then I would ask about where his passion is (goalkeeping or just playing) ? Lastly I would ask about his other athletic gifts and if they line up any better with being a field pkayer

Comment

If he's only been doing GK he will be well behind his field playing teammates. Regardless a good GK requires good foot skills. The position isn't just about saves and booting the ball

But more important question is what is he passionate about? GK requires a lot of passion and touch of crazy. If he loves the position why give it up? If you and your spouse aren't terribly short he should be fine once he hits puberty. Good GKs don't have to be giants

GK parent
        I realize it requires foot skills etc. the training he is getting is excellent (IMO). He is passionate about the game. As both a field player and in goal. They certainly don’t have to be giants but need to be able to cover most of the goal. He is torn on which direction he should go. He realizes that he will be behind the field players as well.

Comment

Try Lacrosse. Water bugs can excel at attack

Comment

GK parent
            It also requires a very good soccer iq and being able to break down the entire game in front of you in top speed and putting pieces in place. As hope solo said the best save i can ever make is the one i dont have to make.

Comment

I realize it requires foot skills etc. the training he is getting is excellent (IMO). He is passionate about the game. As both a field player and in goal. They certainly don’t have to be giants but need to be able to cover most of the goal. He is torn on which direction he should go. He realizes that he will be behind the field players as well.
              Two best goalies I've ever played with were completely different players. One was 6'4" with mediocre foot skills. His height made up for any technical gaps. The other was 5'6" and a capable field player. He could jump to the moon (and needed to). These were both college mates.

Now, 5'6" goalie will always say he wished he was 6'4", but he did quite well for himself.

As someone mentioned...where does he want to go? I can tell you, any player who can play goal will have a job for life if he wants it.

Comment

I can tell you, any player who can play goal will have a job for life if he wants it.
                Colleges carry 3-4 goalkeepers and play 1. The life of a goalkeeper gets more mentally challenging off the field as they get older. Prepare your player’s mind as much as you work on their feet.

Comment

Two best goalies I've ever played with were completely different players. One was 6'4" with mediocre foot skills. His height made up for any technical gaps. The other was 5'6" and a capable field player. He could jump to the moon (and needed to). These were both college mates.

Now, 5'6" goalie will always say he wished he was 6'4", but he did quite well for himself.

As someone mentioned...where does he want to go? I can tell you, any player who can play goal will have a job for life if he wants it.
                  Every male GK I know that was under 5'9", went D3 and did well. The taller ones I know (they had good foot skills though) played professionally/semi-professionally.

Comment

Not entirely true - getting recruited for college GK is extremely challenging. Once you've targeted a large list of schools/programs that are potential fits, you have to find a program that is looking to bring on someone for your year. Within that they'll be looking at at least 10 candidates. Most schools will look to fill at least 5-7 field player spots so your odds are much better. Field players will have more options. As someone else said most will carry 3-4 and only play one. You can be right on target with your skills and the program but just can't unseat the starter. Sitting on a bench for 2-3 years, secretly hoping the starter gets injured before you quit out of frustration or are unseated by a new freshman? No fun.

Comment

Not entirely true - getting recruited for college GK is extremely challenging. Once you've targeted a large list of schools/programs that are potential fits, you have to find a program that is looking to bring on someone for your year. Within that they'll be looking at at least 10 candidates. Most schools will look to fill at least 5-7 field player spots so your odds are much better. Field players will have more options. As someone else said most will carry 3-4 and only play one. You can be right on target with your skills and the program but just can't unseat the starter. Sitting on a bench for 2-3 years, secretly hoping the starter gets injured before you quit out of frustration or are unseated by a new freshman? No fun.
                      Life doesn't end at college, does it?

I said a job for life, and stand by it. If you love the game and want to keep playing, and you are a goalie, you will have a job for life.

Comment

A very good GK doesn't have to target any schools. They schools will seek you out. Pick the one that best fits you.

Comment

What does your son want to do?

If he enjoys playing GK over field, he should work hard on his foot skills, 1v1s, talking, speed, jumping, accurate long kicks, and mobility. Work on the skills necessary to prevent shots rather than waiting on his line and getting lobbed.

Once he gets taller he will likely be better than his competitors who were tall at an early age, because he had to work on all these skills to compensate for lack of height.

-Parent of a short pre-growth spurt GK

Comment

Life doesn't end at college, does it?

I said a job for life, and stand by it. If you love the game and want to keep playing, and you are a goalie, you will have a job for life.
                            A job doing what, playing in a U50 men's league? If you haven't required shoulder surgery by then? At most you play in college and maybe a bit in your 20s. That is true of all positions, not just GK, because you will be busy doing your actual job, having a family.

Besides passion isn't all it takes. I've seen plenty of passionate GKs who didn't have the skills or height or both.

Comment

OP, how tall are you and his mom? I would match the potential he has to grow with what level he wants to play at. If you are 5'10" or so and he wants to go D1, that is a very realistic goal if he continues to develop. If he really enjoys it, keep working hard and he will find a level he can continue to play at.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X