Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Level of competitive soccer in Oregon

Hi all, I am in need of help with information about the level of competitive soccer in the State of Oregon.

I currently live in Los Angeles and there is a very high probability that I will be moving to the Pacific Northwest. Competitive soccer in So Cal is at a very high level and my kid is doing pretty good. He is being looked at by LA Galaxy Academy and LAFC Academy staff. He's been out to train at both academies.

Before you guys ask his age he currently is 9 (2010) years old and he plays with his age group and also plays up 2 years (2008) at his current club. I know 9 years ( he's too young ) but here in So Cal kids are already competing at high levels and now that we have 2 MLS franchise teams so close to each other the academies start scouting and working with kids at U11/U10 even tho there is no DA for them at that age.

I just want some insight into club soccer in Oregon (close to Portland) to see what my options might be.

Thanks in advance

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Hi all, I am in need of help with information about the level of competitive soccer in the State of Oregon.

I currently live in Los Angeles and there is a very high probability that I will be moving to the Pacific Northwest. Competitive soccer in So Cal is at a very high level and my kid is doing pretty good. He is being looked at by LA Galaxy Academy and LAFC Academy staff. He's been out to train at both academies.

Before you guys ask his age he currently is 9 (2010) years old and he plays with his age group and also plays up 2 years (2008) at his current club. I know 9 years ( he's too young ) but here in So Cal kids are already competing at high levels and now that we have 2 MLS franchise teams so close to each other the academies start scouting and working with kids at U11/U10 even tho there is no DA for them at that age.

I just want some insight into club soccer in Oregon (close to Portland) to see what my options might be.

Thanks in advance
    Sounds like you have very little understanding of the place you are in.

9 years old and you are on this forum talking about scouting?

Please. Go take your crazy somewhere else. Getting looked at and blah blah blah is just noise and your kid is no better than the others.

Comment

Please. Go take your crazy somewhere else. Getting looked at and blah blah blah is just noise and your kid is no better than the others.
      I just want some information about the soccer environment in the state. Not my fault about what your situation may be with your kids playing soccer and I am not on here to discuss if my son is better than your kids or not I simply asked for information which obviously you missed it.

There are kids that love the game and rather play with a ball than a phone/computer/vide games! They work hard to be where they're at and your response just undermines the hard work they put into the sport.

You should take your grumpy self out of here if you have no constructive information.

Comment

I just want some information about the soccer environment in the state. Not my fault about what your situation may be with your kids playing soccer and I am not on here to discuss if my son is better than your kids or not I simply asked for information which obviously you missed it.

There are kids that love the game and rather play with a ball than a phone/computer/vide games! They work hard to be where they're at and your response just undermines the hard work they put into the sport.

You should take your grumpy self out of here if you have no constructive information.
        This is like asking, "I live in New York City and have a kid who loves to act and is interested in the theatre. He's been cast in several off-Broadway shows already, and has auditioned on Broadway. We're moving to Portland, and what wondering what the best local theater company is for him to pursue his dream to be an actor."

Catch my drift?

Comment

This is like asking, "I live in New York City and have a kid who loves to act and is interested in the theatre. He's been cast in several off-Broadway shows already, and has auditioned on Broadway. We're moving to Portland, and what wondering what the best local theater company is for him to pursue his dream to be an actor."

Catch my drift?
          In other words, if you want constructive information--the best thing you can do for your kid's soccer career is stay where you are.

Comment

I see that this forum is full of smart mouth over opinionated people! I actually thought I would get some help on here but clearly I am mistaken. Reading some of the other threads I do see some users actually trying to share their knowledge and help but right after them come all the know it all, who cares, stay where you are, bitter people that probably have kids that don't excel at sports so they're mad at everyone else. Trolls is a better term for those people that have nothing positive to share.

Comment

Regardless of which club your son joins, just know that most of his teammates at this age will be done with soccer by the time he hits 14 and can join the Timbers Academy. So, look first at the big clubs nearest to where you'll live. Find some private technical training through one of the many local options who can provide it. Encourage your son to train like crazy on his own separately from any club training. At 3 practices/week, there just isn't enough time on the ball to develop to the levels you're leaving in So Cal.

The Timbers Academy is where he'll want to end up as there is no substitute around here to teach the speed and tactics needed to be competitive at the MLS academy level. All of this is dependent on having developed the tech skills from now until age 13 or 14, which he can do well on his own at any big club in the area.

Comment

Look, the info here is fine once you learn to sift through the trash.

Fact is, people up here and just as willing to take your money as they are down there.

Move up here, find a club, cut a check and enjoy your kid being a kid. He's 9 and I'm guessing your oldest....

If he's as good as you say, the right people will talk to you about the next steps. And like down there, even if he's not as good the "right people" will talk to you about the next step and who to fill the check out too.

Comment

Regardless of which club your son joins, just know that most of his teammates at this age will be done with soccer by the time he hits 14 and can join the Timbers Academy. So, look first at the big clubs nearest to where you'll live. Find some private technical training through one of the many local options who can provide it. Encourage your son to train like crazy on his own separately from any club training. At 3 practices/week, there just isn't enough time on the ball to develop to the levels you're leaving in So Cal.

The Timbers Academy is where he'll want to end up as there is no substitute around here to teach the speed and tactics needed to be competitive at the MLS academy level. All of this is dependent on having developed the tech skills from now until age 13 or 14, which he can do well on his own at any big club in the area.
                  Thank you very much I really appreciate your advice. I am glad to know there are options to train outside of club which is what we already do over here. It's kind of difficult when you have no knowledge.

Comment

LOL and Welcome to Oregon! This is how the Oregon soccer parents roll. Sad isn't it.

Comment

Look, the info here is fine once you learn to sift through the trash.

Fact is, people up here and just as willing to take your money as they are down there.

Move up here, find a club, cut a check and enjoy your kid being a kid. He's 9 and I'm guessing your oldest....

If he's as good as you say, the right people will talk to you about the next steps. And like down there, even if he's not as good the "right people" will talk to you about the next step and who to fill the check out too.
                      Thank you and yes we all know clubs will take anyones money lol. He's actually my youngest my daughter 15 years old plays as well but she isn't as serious about soccer as my son is.

I enjoy every moment with my kids this is what they like to do when my son isn't at soccer practice he's doing practice with his track team he loves competing.

Comment

Catch my drift?
                        Another welcome to Oregon parent. Don't trip on the red carpet they roll out for your family when you arrive!

Comment

Catch my drift?

It’s the old: “I’m not with either team but happened to catch the first half....”

I’m a local DOC and would like to advertise my club as the best by asking and answering a fabricated question.

Comment

I see that this forum is full of smart mouth over opinionated people! I actually thought I would get some help on here but clearly I am mistaken. Reading some of the other threads I do see some users actually trying to share their knowledge and help but right after them come all the know it all, who cares, stay where you are, bitter people that probably have kids that don't excel at sports so they're mad at everyone else. Trolls is a better term for those people that have nothing positive to share.
                            Nothing smart here. If anyone truly thinks they are getting good info from an anonymous chat room they need their head checked.

Comment

Nothing smart here. If anyone truly thinks they are getting good info from an anonymous chat room they need their head checked.
                              lol I think you're right!!

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X