X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Coerver app: https://apps.apple.com/us/app/coerve...ls/id804376953

Free videos. Work on your own. Save time and money. No more complaining about being in the "higher group" or the "lower group". Just do the work.
    I appreciate the enthusiasm but in no way does an app alone replace coaches or peer players. Most kids won't put in the work like that in the backyard and follow videos. They still need "fun with friends" and coach driven session. Maybe at the older ages yes but not the younger. In general my kids have liked the Coerver coaches even after the changeover.

Android app as well?

Comment

I appreciate the enthusiasm but in no way does an app alone replace coaches or peer players. Most kids won't put in the work like that in the backyard and follow videos. They still need "fun with friends" and coach driven session. Maybe at the older ages yes but not the younger. In general my kids have liked the Coerver coaches even after the changeover.

Android app as well?
      What do you mean by "changeover"?

Comment

What do you mean by "changeover"?
        Changeover might not be the right word. But there were alot of Coerver coaches that left last year and new ones that came in. The parent gossip was that Coerver is dieing and stuff like that since we all really liked the old Coerver coaches. In reality it seemed to be just a bunch of coaches were unhappy with TR and left and Coerver had to retrain new coaches. Lots of businesses go through employee shuffles. Some of the new coaches are really good now as well.

Comment

Since this turned into a Coerver thread. Whose excited for Coerver school to start this weekend!!!!!

Comment

My DD plays for Eastside FC and we are less than thrilled with the coaching. We started doing futsal with Eagleclaw in Bellevue on Friday nights and it is really making a difference in my DD's play and she is having a blast at futsal. Her coach and teammates notice the improvement in her as well.
            We are also at Eastside and dropped Coerver for Eagleclaw Futsal. Too bad this board is anonymous otherwise we'd probably figure out we know each other!

Comment

Are you sure you read my post right. If you read it again it clearly is saying cone drills and crossing and boot ball posession is bad not good. And that is the norm for EFC. Which is bad not good. Which is why EFC defaults to physical play over skill. Please work on your reading comprehension. There are some good Kumon books that can help you with that.
              doing crossing drills, big boots during what should be possession games, cone passing drills, lots of standing around being coached at instead of touching the ball, no focus at all on any individual tech skills, etc....
              Maybe your written skills need a little help....

Comment

Thanks for the videos. I have not seen Coerver in the NW do anything similar to that. I wonder if that would be considered a "rogue" lesson based on the Coerver philosophy and training curriculum or just an progression of the original method. My guess is it is an adaptation to Coerver based on the individual Coerver director wanting to benefit from Rondos. Just my guess though since I don't know those people in the video. I have never seen a written down training methodology for Coerver that TR and Katie are following or know how it has progressed and adapted through the years. I would welcome 20ish minutes less of skill circles and replace it with 20ish minutes of rondos for sure. That may also help the 2v2 situation I previously mentioned since it starts to mentality put the kids into a state of passing vs dribbling.
                Heh. If TR didn't lecture so much, there would be time to do these drills.
                Katie seems pretty nice but she really suffers from small woman soccer syndrome that many smaller players have a chip on their shoulders. You probably heard it from other parents with small girls, "The coach doesn't like her because she is small and not strong on the ball. But she does coerver and has awesome touch and footskills." I think it clouds her judgement.

Sorry to break it to everyone, but size and athleticism are big components of the game. Add great technical skills and high soccer IQ, then you have a complete player. Not too many 5'1" D1 players, unless of course, you went to Portland State.

Comment

smaller players are more coordinated in general than larger players. it's rare to have a big player who has a superior touch on the ball. the most technical players on the wnt are the smallest - pugh and lavelle both 5'4" (seems generous). probably their best defensive player is crystal dunn at 5'1" btw

Sorry to break it to everyone, but size and athleticism are big components of the game. Add great technical skills and high soccer IQ, then you have a complete player. Not too many 5'1" D1 players, unless of course, you went to Portland State.

Comment

Heh. If TR didn't lecture so much, there would be time to do these drills.
                    Katie seems pretty nice but she really suffers from small woman soccer syndrome that many smaller players have a chip on their shoulders. You probably heard it from other parents with small girls, "The coach doesn't like her because she is small and not strong on the ball. But she does coerver and has awesome touch and footskills." I think it clouds her judgement.

Mia Hamm was 5'2"

Of course size helps, but let's not discourage smaller players/kids in any sport.

Comment

Search the following in Google.

<Team name> player heights

For team name put the teams at the top of the leagues.

From my initial look the patterns seem to stay constant for teams like Man City and Barcelona. Short skilled players up front. Big players in the back.

Short story is all heights have a role to play.

Comment

Very interesting conversation about female players heights. There are some tall and big players on the A teams (U11 and U12) which are very uncoordinated with poor ball control. If they were average age group size they'd probably be the worst on the B teams. Wondering at what age if at all, skill/talent and athleticism will overtake size and bulk?

Comment

in girls this tends to happen after puberty when late maturers catch up with early maturers and the differential in size is not so large anymore. of course A teams are pretty well set by then and the "top" players are all known and established so therein lies the rub lol

Comment

in girls this tends to happen after puberty when late maturers catch up with early maturers and the differential in size is not so large anymore. of course A teams are pretty well set by then and the "top" players are all known and established so therein lies the rub lol
                            High School essentially. This is also where you see the large drop off rate. You may see a lot of "A team" players not make Varsity at HS. Perceptions change pretty rapidly when Size no longer matters.

I used to be very worried about my kid trying to even get on the B team at U12. But it all evens out. The B team becomes the A team by HS. Select and C team players move to B team. and A team players and the most skilled players move up to ECNL.

From when my daughter started, almost every player from that team is now on B team or A team. A few are up in ECNL. The players that didn't take any technical work all dropped out. You either have Athletes who adapted and learned on the go, or players that whom always skipped over at younger years now on the A team and above because they kept at it.

Comment

While the premise is accurate most high schools are the exact antithesis of technical play. A lot of A-team players don't make varsity due to not possessing naturally and easily observable athleticism. JV and some JVC teams are often much better games to watch as this is where most smaller technical players languish due to the rigorous 3 days of fitness at tryouts often employed by high school coaches.

Comment

While the premise is accurate most high schools are the exact antithesis of technical play. A lot of A-team players don't make varsity due to not possessing naturally and easily observable athleticism. JV and some JVC teams are often much better games to watch as this is where most smaller technical players languish due to the rigorous 3 days of fitness at tryouts often employed by high school coaches.
                                Come on, that's bullsh*t and you know it. The coaches send out fitness requirements and expectations in summer for the fall tryouts. If your kid doesn't come in fit, it is b/c she didn't have the discipline to take it seriously. The season is compressed and very physically, mentally, and emotionally challenging for 2-3 months of 2-3 games a week and 2-3 practices in between AND on top of school.

Alot of A team players don't make varsity because they can not beat out the girls above them. Simple. Don't make it some weak ass conspiracy about little girls or the coaches are stupid and do not know their jobs. If a coach wants to play direct and physical ball, then so be it. You better get used to it b/c many D1-3 programs do direct and physical boot ball.

High school soccer is about winning games and state titles. Smaller, technical players do play varsity b/c they can fit in the varsity lineup and help the team win. If player is in JV or JVC b/c she crapped out on the fitness at tryouts, then she deserves to be there. But most honestly, she is there b/c her skill level or ability is not ready for varsity. Kind of a p1sser from what club tells you and your kid after they cash your check.

Hey there is always the Reign DA your kid can join and avoid the unfairness of hs school. Good luck with the 10+ travel weekends, limited subs, and missing 2 weeks of school or so.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X