Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

4h Soccer no more

So 4H is no longer doing soccer and from what I can tell their teams went to a variety of places to stay in TTL. Keizer Soccer Club has a handful and maybe Woodburn. KSC is traditionally a recreation club - maybe that's all they've ever done. But they have teams called "KSC Mcminville" and "KSC Silverton" which I suspect are former 4H teams.

In some areas there are lots of teams (mostly latino) that play all the time, play each other, etc. So you had teams with no real league and getting into TTL was the challenge. In comes 4H to help that out.

Don't know why 4H is dropping the soccer business or how they got in it to begin with because it always seemed like a odd combination.

But you have in a lot of places is where the team comes first, is antonymous, the operation is team/coach/parent managed, etc. And they just need somebody to attach to like a club.

Maybe IFC does this also?

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    So 4H is no longer doing soccer and from what I can tell their teams went to a variety of places to stay in TTL. Keizer Soccer Club has a handful and maybe Woodburn. KSC is traditionally a recreation club - maybe that's all they've ever done. But they have teams called "KSC Mcminville" and "KSC Silverton" which I suspect are former 4H teams.

In some areas there are lots of teams (mostly latino) that play all the time, play each other, etc. So you had teams with no real league and getting into TTL was the challenge. In comes 4H to help that out.

Don't know why 4H is dropping the soccer business or how they got in it to begin with because it always seemed like a odd combination.

But you have in a lot of places is where the team comes first, is antonymous, the operation is team/coach/parent managed, etc. And they just need somebody to attach to like a club.

Maybe IFC does this also?
    The 4H soccer website is still up: http://blogs.oregonstate.edu/mc4hsoccer/

If you think of "4H" as being all about rural kids (especially rural white kids) raising goats or making quilts or baking pies and entering the results into the county fair, 4H and soccer seems to be a weird fit.

But if you consider that 4H (which is not one organization, but a large number of them) has the goal of providing services to people in rural areas, and keep in mind that many folks in Willamette Valley agriculture are Latino, then the 4H soccer club makes perfect sense.

It would be sad if they are dropping soccer. (Perhaps they are deciding to focus on the rec leagues they run, and leave OYSA to other clubs).

Comment

DOnt' know any details but I'm a big supporter of organizations that help bring sports to underserved areas or where where people can't afford pricey youth sports teams. Always sad to hear when one has to shut down. Reminds me of this ad from Dicks https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-6pFUPti8Y

Comment

The 4H soccer website is still up: http://blogs.oregonstate.edu/mc4hsoccer/

If you think of "4H" as being all about rural kids (especially rural white kids) raising goats or making quilts or baking pies and entering the results into the county fair, 4H and soccer seems to be a weird fit.

But if you consider that 4H (which is not one organization, but a large number of them) has the goal of providing services to people in rural areas, and keep in mind that many folks in Willamette Valley agriculture are Latino, then the 4H soccer club makes perfect sense.

It would be sad if they are dropping soccer. (Perhaps they are deciding to focus on the rec leagues they run, and leave OYSA to other clubs).
        Totally agree and sad it's gone.

It is gone.

They used to run a summer high school league in Salem that was very competitive and that went away too.

Word is 4H was fronting the teams to OYSA then had trouble collecting the fees from the teams.

Comment

Totally agree and sad it's gone.

It is gone.

They used to run a summer high school league in Salem that was very competitive and that went away too.

Word is 4H was fronting the teams to OYSA then had trouble collecting the fees from the teams.
          You don’t say....

Comment

Maybe the coaches got too many red cards and couldn't afford to pay the fines?

Comment

Maybe the coaches got too many red cards and couldn't afford to pay the fines?
              I've never seen a 4h coach on the Red Card List.

Are you thinking Cuevos?

Comment

He’s thinking Mexicans

Comment

I've never seen a 4h coach on the Red Card List.

Are you thinking Cuevos?
                  I might have been thinking Cuevos for the coaches, but I've seen a bunch of 4h players on the RC list.

I saw some 4h coaches almost get in a fist fight another coaches at mt hood challenge, but the ref decided to not send them off for some reason.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                  Auto-Saved
                  x
                  Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                  x
                  Working...
                  X